7/9 Ozzy PMPS 72 +2.5 32, +3 57 Dosing Advice??

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Ozzy Pawzbourne, Jul 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Ozzy Pawzbourne Well-Known Member

Hey Guys-

Haven't posted in awhile as I have been so busy with my new job that has me working around the clock and some other new news in our lives- Hubby and I are expecting our first baby. We are very excited!!

As for Ozzy- he has been doing wonderful and is super playful and happy and so sweet! But we have still been really struggling to find that goldilocks dose- if one even exists.

As you can see from his PMPS (and ss), I have obviously gotten over my fear of shooting green numbers and maybe just a little too confident. Normally if I shoot a low number, he will just come up. But the opposite happened tonight and Ozzy crashed down to 32. He is carbed up for the moment and I think will be ok, thanks to the wonderful folks here we know what to do and always have a stocked hypo kit on hand. My issue is that it's hard to keep to a specific dose. We are constantly teeter totting between 1, 1+, and 1.25u. On the 1.25u dose, he gets great amazing cycles (look at his am cycle from today- it's a dream) and is in the greens and blues like we want him, but then eventually he will crash to the 30s and 40s and we have to bring the dose back down. After several cycles on the lower dose, Ozzy's numbers will eventually climb back up to the 200s thoughout most of his cycle and isn't getting enough insulin. We have tried the 1ufat, 1uskinny, and everything in between. It is getting a bit frustrating not being able to rely on a specific dose for more than a week or two. Could definately use some advice. What do you guys/gals think? Should we maybe feed him higher carb food and stick with the 1.25u?

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

A baby, how exciting! Congrats. :joyful:

That 32 is pretty low. A ..25 u reduction is strongly recommended for numbers in the 30's. I would take him down, see how he does, then implement higher carb food if you have to go up again.

Ozzy Pawzbourne likes this.
  3. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

First, CONGRATULATION to you and DH on your coming attraction! :woot: How exciting for you!

Ozzy's numbers at 1.25 have been really good, but I can understand, with your schedule, how that would be hard to deal with. Plus, a 32 demands attention. I'd be leary of holding the dose after that. I don't think you really gave a skinny 1.25 a chance. Looks to me like you've shot 1 or 1.25 more often. I think I would try 1.0 again, and if that isn't working out, try the skinny 1.25 - and try really hard to be consistent about it for at least 6-8 cycles.

4. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Thanks! We are thrilled!
    yes- he will be going back down to 1u in am. Only thing with the food situation is its hard to find food within the med carb range. Seems like it's either 2-5 carbs or 17+. Not many foods out there with say 8-12% carbs.

5. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Thanks. That's a good suggestion. Will probably take him down to 1u to work some of the depot down and if Ozzy starts throwing consistent yellows again will up him to the skinny 1.25u. I tend to hold him at a conservative dose for too long and am trying to get better at acting on it when i need to bring him back up a little.

6. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

mix a teaspoon of 5% and a teaspoon of 17% and you'll have 2 teaspoons of 11%!!

Congratulations on the baby!!! How exciting!!! :):):):):)

7. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Does it really work like that? I feel like 17% is still 17% even if he gets a small portion. No??

8. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

yes it really works like that.....we often tell people they can make their own MC food by adding HC to LC.....just mix it together well

9. Jan Radar (GA)

Jan Radar (GA) Well-Known Member

My go to 12% carb food is Weruva's Cats in the kitchen Pumpkin Lickin chicken in a pouch. The pouches are a little expensive but I get a lot of mileage from one pouch because it will keep in a small Tupperware container for use on another day. :)

10. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

My boys loved Max Cat Venison and also Duck - 8 or 9%. That was my go-to high LC, not quite MC.

Have you looked at Dr. Lisa's updated food list?

11. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Thanks for the suggestions. Yes- I have a copy of Dr Lisa's food chart printed and handy for when I go to the pet food store. Some of you may remember what a difficult time we had with transitioning both Ozzy and Figgie to all wet food. Lots and lots and lots of vomit. Everywhere. They pretty much eat the same 4 kinds of food every single day- weruva paw licking chicken, chicken frick a zee, fowl ball, and darwins raw food (chicken and turkey only). We tried some gamier meats before (like rabbit and duck) and it was not good for my carpets. It has been several months now and the kitty tummies have settled so I am open to trying some new foods again.

Thanks again.

12. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

Congratulations on the expected baby :smuggrin:. I got your PM reply but like you, life has been pretty busy. :bighug:

This is my MC go to:

WERUVA - Cats in the Kitchen pouches Chick Magnet - 16%

Gizmo is pretty sensitive to carbs so this works pretty good. If he is super low I give it to him straight. If I just need to bump him up I mix with his regular food (4-6% carb).

I like it because (besides being low phos) it is the same brand that he normally gets (primary food is fowl ball). It also doesn't send him through the roof number wise.

https://www.chewy.com/weruva-cats-in-kitchen-chick-magnet/dp/37681

Congrats on the dose reduction. I feel your pain on balancing work and FD.

13. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Nice to see you here, Joanna! Congratulations on the new member of your family in the making! :smuggrin: I'm glad Ozzie is doing well and that the wet food situation has calmed down. Teasel is somewhat like Ozzie with the tiny ups and downs in dose.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.