8/10/16 Squallie AMPS 316,+4/227, PMPS 188, +3 183

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Squalliesmom, Aug 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

2. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Carol & Murphy (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Lucy - well, Squallie is still bouncing - hope it clears soon
    hang in there- when is the vet visit?

Squalliesmom likes this.
  3. Squalliesmom

Thanks, Carol. He sees the vet tomorrow morning.

Carol & Murphy (GA) likes this.
  4. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I hope Squallie heads down today. Sending good vdetty vines for tomorrow. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

5. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

Hi Lucy.... How is Squallie feeling?
    wishing you good vetty visit:bighug:

6. Dawn and Peek-a-Boo (GA)

Dawn and Peek-a-Boo (GA) Member

{{{{{Lucy}}}}}},

Just got caught up on the last few days of condos. I'm sending you great big hugs :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug: as I can easily sympathize with your confusion and frustration with it all.

Concerning acro or other high dose condition...I think getting both the IGF-1 and IAA tests as others have suggested is a great idea. I think ruling that out (0r confirming) will put your mind at ease and help you get to the next step.

My Peek-a-Boo had some bad teeth and the vet (much like yours) kept delaying the dental. He was hoping Peeks would get regulated first. When that was clearly not happening after spending a large amount of time (7 months) doing insulin/dosing changes, he felt that regardless of the risk, we should proceed with the dental as it might be the one thing that is holding him back.

With his bg still in the 400's :nailbiting::eek:, he ended up with 8 extractions. Ignorance is bliss, because only two months later he was dx with HCM, so he probably had that also going into that dental :nailbiting::nailbiting::eek:.

His numbers saw no significant change immediately, and two months later my vet was about to throw in the towel. At this point I was bold and at my wit's end. Like Wendy, I said to please humor me and do the IGF-1 test ($160 for me and took a week for results). I never had the IAA test done. Mind you, I brought up acromegaly for months because of this board, but it was kind of dismissed as my boy's appearance didn't fit the bill (large paws, broad face).

Vetty agreed and his IGF-1 score was 521...I can't find normal range, but this was WAY above that. Peek-a-Boo's case was handed over to Purdue Veterinary Teaching Hospital at that point. He somehow found his sweet spot at 4U Lantus BID around that time and stayed there for an entire year until his passing.

From what I've seen, I think most, if not all acro parents on here seem to have their kitties share the pot belly. Peeks had the respiratory stridor when he slept which sounded like a snore. Voracious appetite. He also had HCM from acro.

It's funny you mention stud tail. I have heard of this but never researched exactly what it was. Peek-a-Boo did, for a period of time, develop a greasy (more like waxy) tail where the fur looked "piecy" or "clumpy" and would not shampoo clean easily. A lot of these clumps fell out easily too. That may have actually been a mild form of stud tail as I read about it....interesting, Lucy. He also had mild chin acne periodically. Both of these areas are loaded with sebaceous glands.

Later on, I started to notice growth with his tongue (both length and width). His chin also seemed more pronounced, almost like an exaggerated under bite (prognathism) also from acro.

I'm sending extra vines for a productive vetty visit on Thursday. You are a fantastic mom to Sqaullie, Lucy. He is such an adorable boy.....it breaks my heart to hear about his arched back. I will be watching along with everyone else to see how he's doing.

Love, Hugs, and Scritches

Dawn :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Squalliesmom likes this.
  7. Marilyn and Polly

Marilyn and Polly Well-Known Member

Tons of vines for your vetty visit, Lucy. And lots of :bighug::bighug::bighug:.

Marilyn and Polly

8. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Good wishes for your vetty visit.

9. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Sending blue thought your way. Sorry about the bounce, but in true cat fashion, he'll probably clear it in time for tomorrows vet appointment. At least that's how long he's taken lately to clear those bounces. Tons of vines for a good vetty appointment. :bighug:

10. Squalliesmom

Dawn, thank you so much for sharing your knowledge and experience of Acro with me. We discussed it with the vet this morning and, of course, he doesn't think this is Squallie's issues. However, I'm not convinced; but we will wait and see if his insulin needs continue to rise, and then I will demand it. Fortunately my vet is very good about doing any tests I want, even if he feels it's not necessary. We did get a terrible dental report today, though, and while the vet doesn't think so, I believe that this is at least a great pert of Squall's problem. I am terrified about him having a dental at his age! I worry so much about him! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.