8/11 Tina AMPS 145 +6 95 Dr visit tomorrow

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Tina Marie (GA) and Jan, Aug 11, 2019.

1. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

Tina Marie (GA) and Jan Well-Known Member

Yesterday

Wishing all of you a beautiful Sunday. Do something that makes you happy!

I have gotten prepared, mostly, for our visit with the vet tomorrow morning. The last time I talked to the doctor, he profusely apologized for not telling me about Tina's very high glucose back in February. He claimed to have seen BG in the 500s in stressed cats. Not long after the phone call to tell me she was diabetic on July 3, I requested past blood work. After looking closely at everything, I see other questions I have. I'm taking a checklist with me, armed with extra knowledge.

I should probably post in the main forum about her issues which include:
    • Looks like she is now hypothyroid after radiation treatment (too much) - does she need pills for that - I know being hypothyroid zaps energy
    • Pain. And some - don't know how much with combined problems - neuropathy. She has spinal arthritis and collapse of the lumbosacral joint space - the only med he wanted her on was Metacam .4 (which I've never been comfortable with). I believe she needs some real pain control. Will ask about buprenorphine or gabapentin?
    • Does she have high BP. It's time for a follow-up visit to the cardiologist to see if hypertrophic cardiomyopathy has changed. That doctor wanted us to come 9 months after stable thyroid after I-131 treatment Stable? It was over treated
    I pay a lot for blood work. I'd expected this doctor to look closely at it - I had grown to trust the man, but learned again to check everything for safety. I firmly believe he will work with us and listen.

Before radiation treatment last year, Tina was still going everywhere, jumping on counters . . . the whole thing. Now she lives in the living room on the couch, which has a recliner pathway to a table. She uses the pet steps to go the floor. She has a drinking area, and a box, yes in the living room! It's a big deal when she goes into the hallway and into the bedroom. She did that yesterday:bighug:

If anybody has input or experience with these things, I would love to hear.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  2. majandra

majandra Well-Known Member

I hope you get some answers from the vet tomorrow
    :bighug:

3. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

Thank you for good wishes! just realized I didn't outright ask for advice, but I would love tips, or advice at any time.

Also I was reading about Rhubarb, then interrupted myself again! Love and healing to your pretty girl. After dental work, I've been given Onsior for two-three days. I'll go back to your thread to check on her.

majandra likes this.
  4. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA) Well-Known Member

Poor Tina, she's had a lot going on her life! I hope you get good results from the vet visit. It *can* sometimes be tricky -- sometimes vets get a little defensive, but if they are having a decent day, you've had a good relationship before now, and you go in with an attitude of just wanting to do everything you can for Tina, I'm sure you'll do well.

To me it looks like you have the right questions. Bupe and gabapentin are both good, and we use tramadol in one of our cats for pain as well.

Good luck!

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  5. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

My kitty Ginger gets thyroid hormone for hypothyroid. I dissolve the pill in a little water and mix it into a few bites of food each morning. The pills are supposed to be tasteless. I was told she should be fasted for 2 hours before the pill, so first thing in the morning works for us, and fasted for 1 hour after the pill thus the few bites when I wake up and I feed her her big breakfast an hour later as I leave for work. She gets blood work, urinalysis, and blood pressure done about every 3 months to see how she's doing with her thyroid and kidneys.

6. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

I believe we will both be a little tense at first, but what you said about attitude is perfect.
    All I want is quality of life for my cat (unless not possible) and he wants to earn my respect back. I believe in the future he will recommend a follow up when he sees high glucose on blood work. I actually believed he learned from us. Hope I'm not wrong!

7. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Poor thing...sounds like she's not feeling well at all. I hope the vet has some answers and recommendations for you tomorrow...sending vetty vines :)

8. Pamela & Amethyst

Pamela & Amethyst Well-Known Member

AWW Beautiful little girl!!:bighug::bighug: Love,Light and Lots of healing:bighug::bighug:

9. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

Thank you Dyana. Did Ginger also have radiation for hyperT? I've heard it's very rare for a cat to be
    hypothyroid. I've been both, and neither is fun. I'm opposite Tina, take pills for hypo, but was overmedicated and went manic!

10. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Good luck at the vet tomorrow. You can always ask for a copy of the bloodwork results each time.

11. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

So Very Right and I wish I'd been doing it all along. From now on I will Always ask to see . . . I always ask to see my own, geez.

Happy note - husband got the vacuum out, and Tina left the room, went in to the bedroom and right up the stairs to the bed! She used to love being there. Then as I started to test her blood, she got all feisty, not wanting to be still. Those things actually made me happy.

12. Crista & Ming

Crista & Ming Well-Known Member

Oh poor Tina :( but it sure sounds like Tina is in amazing, great and dedicated hands!! :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

I can’t believe you’ve just been lurking and look how well Tina’s numbers are! Now I only hope everything else comes together.

13. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

Happy tears Crista. I believe the Zobaline may be helping. Learned that here. Put her on a diet I learned about here, and the vet wholeheartedly agreed with the diet change. Dosing methods all learned here. I wasn't even checking during nadir and blindly giving 2u. Oh my, you all have been so good. I feel a little bad for "knowing" many of you before I even introduced myself. I was a bit intimidated by the spreadsheet setup and my less than modern tools and experience. I am so happy to be here, meow, and whatever sound a human makes;)

Sonia & Leo and Dyana like this.
  14. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Yes, she had the i131 in May of 2017. She had the thyroid scintigraphy first, and was given a small dose of the radiation, but it was a little too much still.

15. Sonia & Leo

Sonia & Leo Well-Known Member

Best of luck at the vet today Jan! :bighug:

16. Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA)

Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA) Well-Known Member

Good luck today! Vet visits are not always easy ! :)