? 8/16 Mačka - AMPS 477, +3 463, +8 512, PMPS 453 increase question

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Penelope and Mačka, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Penelope and Mačka

Penelope and Mačka Well-Known Member

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...s-667-3-547-6-506-what-if-vial-is-bad.218175/

I increased this morning to 2.75 from 2.25 after the discussion in yesterday's thread.
    However, I am realizing that I use a pet meter Alpha Track and the TR protocol is based on human meters.
    I did not pay attention until today, but numbers are pretty different: a 500 on a pet meter is a 300 on a human meter.
    Which means that I should have increased by only 0.25 today, not 0.50. Some of Macka's recent nadirs were in the reds, so under 300 if converted to human meter values.

Help! Thank you.

I am also considering buying a human meter today, if I can leave the house.

2. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

I think your fine increasing .5 this time. Numbers are high enough to support it. If another is needed you can get back on track.

3. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

Tina Marie (GA) and Jan Well-Known Member

Penelope - I use the AlphaTrac also. A 68 is "take action" vs. 50 for "take action" on a human meter. There are more things I need to revisit, on this subject (my mind needs simple right now), but I know you can do TR with either cat or human meter.

You did GREAT by increasing by .5 it looks like. Test as usual and you KNOW if you run into problems, POST!

4. Olive & Paula

It will take awhile for depot to adjust to new dose, stick with it.

5. Sonia & Leo

Sonia & Leo Well-Known Member

6. Sam & Oscar

Sam & Oscar Member

I'm so glad that you made the switch to TR. I think your increase today is safe and macka certainly doesn't seem to see the difference yet. Wait for the depot to start doing its thing and don't get discouraged! You're doing more than most people would even attempt. A coworkers grandkitty was dx the same time as oscar and she told me yesterday they put him down because they just couldn't manage it. I cried a little when she left my office.

And keep remembering to take care of yourself, macka needs a healthy caregiver.

The first cat I ever lived with was named Penelope and she looked a lot like macka. It's hard for me not to look at your photo and name together and think about P <3 :cat:

7. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

Tina Marie (GA) and Jan Well-Known Member

I certainly didn't "like" that kitty being put down, but I like your general message very much. Having the cat live a horrible untreated life would be pretty rotten too. At least those people were honest, but it sure is sad.

Krystina & Nelli likes this.
  8. Figaro's Liz

Figaro's Liz Member

Hi Penelope, Can I go out on a limb and guess that your 500/300 comparison may be based on my readings that I mentioned yesterday? I'm sorry if that complicated things for you further.

Please remember that there is no way we can convert numbers between meters. Each meter individually has its own variance per reading and then on top of that the different meters read the sample differently, as you know, so please don't take the very tiny amount of data I have collected as a guideline in any way. (I did get a 509/306 reading comparison once. I have also seen 467/355! And these are just anecdotal examples to show we definitely can't rely on a few points of data to make a conversion).

I think the data you have collected already is more valuable than a theoretical number conversion. I do not think that trying to imagine what the AT numbers would be on a human meter will help you... I brought up the idea because I think getting some actual comparisons might help you. I hope this makes sense.

9. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

I think you are okay also with the pet meter and the human meter protocol. You have some wiggle room. Just keep monitoring as you do.

Penelope and Mačka likes this.
  10. Penelope and Mačka

OMG that gives me the chills! :kiss::kiss::kiss:

Sam & Oscar and Krystina & Nelli like this.
  11. Penelope and Mačka

It's horrifying. Very sad. And very sad that vets accept to do so, instead of maybe, redirecting to a shelter? IDK, this seems very wrong to me and makes me very very sad for this poor cat.

12. Penelope and Mačka

It did yes ^^; but also I looked at other SS too! Please do not worry.
    I understand now why other cats' numbers look way better and more even, many use the human meter! It took me 2 months to realize it, so thank you Liz for opening my eyes :)

A bigger increase was likely needed for Macka anyway. However, I really wonder if it's a vial not being good anymore thing. I went to buy a new pen today but it didn't work out, they did not have the refill prescription, it took forever, I just left the pharmacy annoyed.
    Let's see tonight and tomorrow's cycles for now.

For some reason, Macka is feeling good today. He was so much more like himself that I tested him many times, thinking he getting lower, but no! High as a star, but happy and hungry.

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  13. Penelope and Mačka

Thank you, I was considering buying a human meter though. I worry I can get confused!

14. Bobbie And Bubba

You'll be fine! The protocol is written for the human meter and the strips are a heck of a lot cheaper!

15. Penelope and Mačka

Thanks!

Another idea came to mind: could the meter be broken and only show high numbers? :joyful::joyful::joyful: I think it fell once...

Sue and Luci likes this.
  16. Olive & Paula

that would be a great, if only it could be true.

17. Bobbie And Bubba

Do you have control solution to run a test? If not, test yourself and you should be between 50-120 and consider when you last ate.

18. Sam & Oscar

Sam & Oscar Member

I keep thinking this too! What if the meter is broken and Oscar's off the charts when i think hes heading in the right direction.

I just test it with the control solution to reassure myself. I have tested the human meter with control more because every test with the AT2 I think ok, $1 gone.

19. Penelope and Mačka

Oh I think I do, completely forgot about it!

Reader function is OK: 131 with control liquid.

20. Sam & Oscar

Sam & Oscar Member

My AT2 came with control solution. Human meter did not.

21. Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA)

Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA) Well-Known Member

22. Krystina & Nelli

Krystina & Nelli Well-Known Member

:p :joyful: :p :joyful: :p

23. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I am glad you increased, hope that 2.5 on your SS for PMPS is incorrect.

The thing about feline diabetes, almost everyone at one point wonders if it’s the meter (it’s not), the insulin (it very rarely is), the food (not if under 10% carbs), some scary incident (only sort term effect, so no), when all the time, it’s really the cat. Macka has been in high numbers quite a bit, and has likely got glucose toxicity. You have to break through that and the way to do it is more insulin. There is no way to compare human to AT meters, so other than the TR reduction point, we just use the AT numbers as we would the human ones.

By the way, regarding food, might want to read this note http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/feeding-lowest-zero-carb-vs-lower-carb-foods.144220/

24. Penelope and Mačka

This is VERY interesting and answers many questions that I had, thank you very much for sharing!
    I am still experimenting with food, but it's hard to know with his never ending high numbers if he's reacting to more carbs or if just plainly hanging in glucose toxicity.
    However, he's been doing better overall (more awake, more purring, more stairs climbed, nicer fur) lately, and that matches with a higher carb intake.
    The other explanation would be that the steroids are finally working after 1 month, but I would have assumed they were doing their job already 2 weeks ago. Or, last explanation, the B12 injections (it's been a month with 1x week).

25. Bobbie And Bubba

Steroids will definitely spike the BG's.

26. Olive & Paula

Important piece of the puzzle to know. Steroids. They are know to induce diabetes in some cats. You might find glucoses going up because of it vs toxicity. Think about switching to TR so you can get ahead of it. You will need to dose around the steriods.

also put steroids in your signature so anyone offering advice is aware there are steroids being given.

27. Crista & Ming

Crista & Ming Well-Known Member

Is the steroid you’re talking about Budesonide that’s in your signature? I remember someone saying it doesn’t have too much effect on BGs.

28. Penelope and Mačka

Yes it's already in my signature. I was told it should not affect BG too much, but who knows.