8/24 Beta amps 285, +2 254, +3 229, +4 230, +6 228, +9 230, +11 186, pmps 147

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Beta kitty, Aug 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beta kitty

Beta kitty Member

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/8-22-18-beta-amps-199.201493/#post-2241540

It's Beta's 4th day on Basaglar and I think I can tell by her bg#s when the shot goes in or not. It seems like she's already responding.:bighug::) oops! I thought the hug was a happy face.

Questions:
    Can not having food overnight when she's used to eating then cause BG to spike and give this reading like today's? Last night I left her less food because I was too tired from monitoring her the last few nights to get up and take her food away. I did see a trend in higher am bg when I was testing bg and controlling her diabetes with diet alone before she started insulin. Then I got the autofeeder and started leaving 3/4 can FF classics out overnight and she usually eats it all by morning.

Is it ok to leave her this food overnight since it's what she's used to?

Do I need to worry about ketones? Her highest bg at home was today's 284 and she never had DKA.
    Thanks for any input. I'm sure I'll have a million more ?s. My vet tech showed me how to inject the insulin and drew some up then squirted it back into the pen. I hope she didn't contaminate it. I watched the video in the sticky and it said not to do this. The video was way more helpful than the vet!!

2. Beta kitty

Beta kitty Member

Still dropping at pmps. Should I give her the shot- 1 U Basaglar?

3. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

Sometimes feeding after the cat has reached the lowest point in the cycle (nadir) can result in putting the brakes on the insulin dose, and you can see higher preshot numbers the next morning. Or there is sometimes the dawn effect, @Sienne and Gabby (GA) mentions it here http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...y-crap-pmps-511-6-130.188061/#post-2088695and there are likely other references. Personally, I don't think there's anything wrong with feeding up to around +5-+6, depending on what you see in the cycle. She does seem to be dropping a bit from her flattish yellow cycle today, I see you just started insulin 3 days ago? She may have an active cycle tonight, I suspect you might see the insulin depot building now.

Your latest number was 139, bumping you up, in case someone else might have an opinion, but if you decide to shoot, I'd check her +1 and go from there. Do you have higher carb food on hand, lots of test strips and karo syrup? It may not be needed, but it's important to be prepared, in case there is an active cycle ahead. I'll be around for a little while, but can't stay more than a few hours, so I can't advise to shoot, as I won't be able to stay with you.

4. Beta kitty

Beta kitty Member

Thanks. I just retested and it was 132, maybe a slightly reduced dose would be ok. She is eating now. She hasn't eaten since +6 and usually eats several times a day. I have karo and bought some ff w gravy & lots of strips. She's eating now. I'm prepared I think.

5. Christie & Maverick

These types of insulin (lantus, basaglar and Levemir work better with consistent doses, but if you are worried that she'll go lower and you can't stay up to monitor, then yes, you can give a reduced dose. The only problem is the depot may be working tonight anyway. I'd still see if she's dropping at +1, you've not seen lower preshots quite like this. If she bumps back up, then you can relax a little.

I'll keep an eye out for you, just post if you need help, I know how stressful it can be, sometimes the cycles stay nice and flat, but I always felt better knowing someone was around if I needed them ;)

6. Beta kitty

Beta kitty Member

I gave 1 U at 9 pm (25 min ago), maybe slightly less, it's so hard to tell w/ those syringes. I'll test at +1 and +2 and then... She starts to drop by +2 from what I've seen so far. I'll keep feeding her small amts every hr, that's how she usually eats in the evening.

7. Beta kitty

Beta kitty Member

Good news +1 is 154, will feed a little more and check again in an hour.

8. Christie & Maverick

Oh, good, thank you, I'm glad you sent an update, I was just peeking at your SS ;). Looks like you have a bit of a breather before the pm insulin shot onsets. I saw you gave pred today, I don't know how quickly it can affect BG, but I'm not sure you are aware, but it does raise it, no experience there to share though.

9. Beta kitty

Beta kitty Member

She takes pred every other day for chronic rhinitis and has for years haven't found anything else that helps her snotty nose, but she's taking cerenia for it too now and that helps. pm +2 is 140 will check again in a couple of hrs.

10. Christie & Maverick

Seeing that the +2 is about the same as PMPS should mean that she's going to come down but not have a crazy drop. Hope you keep seeing a nice steady cycle, I agree +4 or there abouts is a good idea, just in case.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.