8/29 Grandpa early pneumonia. Chest xrays scary

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Beck and Philly, Aug 29, 2018.

1. Beck and Philly

Beck and Philly Well-Known Member

Grandpa woke me this morning by sitting on my chest and making a coughing sound. I hoped it was a hairball, but it sounded more like upper respiratory. My vet will be out of town after today until Tuesday so I took him this morning.

She did a chest xray. It shows that the mass(es) are pushing everything forward. She feared a lung tumor which wasn't the case, but she saw what looks like some fluid in his lungs.

We've avoided any antibiotics other than Convenia, but we're going to try Baytril. She wants us to monitor his respiration.

When he's eating and alert it's easy to pretend he's okay. Then reality hits.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
  2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

So sorry Beck, I hope the AB gives some relief. Hugs to you and Grandpa. :bighug::bighug:

3. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

Prayers upon prayers upon prayers for our dear gentleman and his momma :bighug:❤️:bighug:❤️ Would running a humidifier near where he sleeps help to ease breathing ??

4. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

This might be a stretch but when we zoomed Zoe from our vet to emergency our vet came running to the car with a tiny bottle of oxygen and a kitty sized mask.
    I'm not talking doom and gloom, it's just a thought. With a letter from your doctor you can rent O2 tanks anywhere.
    Super big hugs for Grandpa. :bighug: :bighug: :bighug:

Beth 73 and Beck and Philly like this.
  5. Beck and Philly

Might be worth trying. Not sure if my window unit a/c is hurting him. He sleeps on a table or on my bed. Both are in line of air from a/c units.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
    Noah & me (GA) likes this.
  6. Beck and Philly

Might be something we have to look into. We want to monitor how he is here for a couple days. Dr. M said his respiration should be between 30 and 40. Last week it was 45 when she saw him. I think she said it was 55 today. Could've been the stress from having the x- ray. She wants me to check when he's calm.

7. Noah & me (GA)

He is always calm when he's with you. There's a reason so many people are invested in this.
    No self pity, no doom and gloom. Just love, common sense and your willingness to share.
    He's not ready, it's not his time. Stop crying.

8. Beck and Philly

Darn! Now I'm smiling through my tears. Thanks for the kind words. They mean more than you know. We'll be okay. Just need to take a deep breath and get back on track. Every day brings a new normal.

9. Noah & me (GA)

:) :bighug:

you can have one too :bighug:

Beck and Philly and Beth 73 like this.
  10. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

If there is fluid did the give you lasix to help get rid of if?

11. Beck and Philly

There was a reason she doesn't want to give Lasix, but to be honest I can't think of it right now. When she was listing the things she thinks are safe to try vs not a good idea she said "I don't want to give Lasix because..."

12. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

Hope he feels better soon, sending healing vines:bighug:

13. Noah & me (GA)

The humidifier. My memory may be off but I staggered into emergency once with pneumonia and I recall the mask having a lot of water droplets, more than at other times I've worn a mask. I have something called a Hiatal hernia and if I don't consciously think about what I'm eating or drinking I have a coughing fit. The point there is just the common sense thing, when Grandpa eats give him that mommy's gonna' wipe your face thing.

Beck and Philly likes this.
  14. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Prescription: love and symptom management ... :bighug::bighug:

15. Pamela & Amethyst

Pamela & Amethyst Well-Known Member

16. PussCatPrince - GA

PussCatPrince - GA Well-Known Member

Rats! Damn the 'new normal' . It can bog right off . Mr Gentleman Grandpa needs his breaths -- just not too many of them all in one go.

OK. So is it bedroom furniture moving time?

Here's to the treatment working pronto.

:bighug:

17. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Poor Grandpa (and you) :bighug:

18. Beck and Philly

Please tell me that turn of phrase comes with a really cool accent, too!

As far as rearranging furniture, my bedroom is maybe 10 ft x 12 ft. Rearranging means maybe spinning my bed. No matter what, that puppy is going to take up the center of the room.

19. Beth 73

Bless you, bless you , Beck :bighug::bighug::bighug: You are truly as amazing as your Grandpa the Wonder Kitty ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

20. PussCatPrince - GA

Comes wiva sorta Sarf West English accent. Cross between Doc Martin West Country and Londoner depending on the hour and day I spose.

Okays. Sound like my bedroom. Scrap that then. Just move the pillow & table to the other end of the bed. :p

21. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

don't know what part of the country you are in... but if you have a window unit, check it for mold. In the more humid states, spores can get blown and you or he may be breathing that in... Could be a contributing factor.... but hardly any one pays attention to such things any more...

22. Beck and Philly

I'm in Maryland and the humidity has been awful. Great suggestion! Will definitely be doing that. Thanks!

23. Sonia & Leo

Sonia & Leo Well-Known Member

24. Sandy and Black Kitty

Sandy and Black Kitty Well-Known Member

l too am in Maryland- been here since 1984- this summer has been unbelievably wet and humid - I don’t recall another summer that was this bad. Excellent recommendation to check your window units for mold.

BTW, Grandpa reminds me of my Henry :)
    A0287E63-DA61-4B39-8E94-A77AE6905E52.jpeg

25. Beck and Philly

Awww. He does! Beautiful.

26. Beck and Philly

We have some Grandpa mini-mes around here, too.
    20180630_171240.jpg

27. Beck and Philly

28. Idjit's mom

Grandpa and Tiny Grandpa Wannabe. Thank you for that, made me smile.

29. Sandy and Black Kitty

Sandy and Black Kitty Well-Known Member

The mini grandpas are too cute!!!

30. Beth 73

I’m speechless ❤️ Good night hugs and scritches to Grandpa ...Prayers for easy breathing :bighug:

31. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Oh, Beck, I'm so sorry! I hope the vet can clear it up fast. Poor Grandpa. Poor you, too! Much love and (((hugs))) to you both. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:
    'Your bedroom sound like mine, lol. Like @PussCatPrince - GA suggests, I just move the pillow (Too much trouble to move the table!) to the other end and call it re-arranged. ;)

32. Noah & me (GA)

Bedroom? You mean the cat room where we try and sleep. Like most modern houses our bedroom is as big as the living room or The Great Room.
    It's cute until you wake up with a mouth full of cat fuzz and step out of bed and something icky squishes between your toes. Then some idiot in the newspaper suggest locking all animals out of your bedroom for a better sleep.
    I'd like to see the whole family with names please. Entries for the 2019 calendar are now being accepted.

33. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Love the photos of Grandpa and one of his minis. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::kiss::kiss::kiss:

34. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Becky & Baby Girl GA Well-Known Member

Such beautiful kits!! I sure do hope grandpa will soon recover. He is def a fighter! :bighug:Sending a healing prayer...

35. Jill & Jade

Jill & Jade Well-Known Member

4C178F2A-D836-43BF-AAD3-16E424770A06.jpeg Jade and I are Watching and sending love to you and Grandpa....

36. Beck and Philly

Beautiful!!!! I love seeing pics.

Jill & Jade likes this.
  37. Beck and Philly

Oh to have a big bedroom! Pics and names? You don't know what you're asking. I could send one a day and in a month we'd have just finished. :)

Some are mine, some are my roommate's, and most are rescued from the barn I mentioned before. Then there's one really big one that woofs.

Here is my best bud, Trixie, with my roommate's former bottle baby/ foster fail cat, River.

20180412_151820.jpg

38. Beck and Philly

Thanks. We were very relieved last night to see that his respiration was 20. He must've been stressed at the vet.

39. Idjit's mom

How precious, River looks up to Trixie, I see. ;)

40. Beth 73

Yes ! yes ! Yes! Normal respiration !! :woot: You just made my day with that news, Beck !!! Trixie looks like my childhood dog, Fluffy❤️

41. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Becky & Baby Girl GA Well-Known Member

Oh so good to hear! Yes if we could only get all these precious ones well.. keeping you in my thoughts & prayers

42. Noah & me (GA)

I see a lot of claw marks on the sofa on the left. The sofa on the right has a nice butt-groove. I thought that was a guy thing. o_O :rolleyes: :smuggrin:

43. Beck and Philly

Claw marks are a fact of life here which is why I keep tables from the 70s. Can't speak to butt grooves because that is the most uncomfortable couch in history so my butt doesn't sit there.

44. PussCatPrince - GA

45. Joanne&TinySole

Joanne&TinySole Well-Known Member

I'm sorry that Grandpa is not well and I hope he can overcome everything. XOXO