8/30 DAVIDSON PMPS 104, +1-139, +3.5-102, +5-71

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Shawna & Davidson (GA), Aug 30, 2018.

1. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

Shawna & Davidson (GA) Well-Known Member

Condo: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...-120-2-109-4-64-m-5-65-6-63-10-25-109.201816/

It's time to increase Davidson again as he started out really well on this decrease, but not holding and slipping more into the blue again. Could be cuz he's not feeling well.

He's not walking, and only has the strength to go 20' down the hall to the LB, sleeps most of the day and no desire to do much - not really eating as even with 2 units of size of the Renal K+ dose he won't eat his food. He needs to get his potassium up and I'll try the chewy tablets Lizzie sent once they arrive. I'm hoping they will help.

If it weren't for that he's in GREAT shape, still purrs contently - different then purring due to pain or discomfort, he follows me with his eyes, his fur is still nice and using the LB.

Wish I could help him but forcing him to eat food with the potassium supplement and making him nauseous all day doesn't seem to be the right thing to do either. I'm at a loss what to do............

2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

3. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

Sending prayers and hugs to you and Davidson
    Shawna have u tried giving him 1/4 of a 10mg of Zyrtec, Abby is hyper t and they advised me to give her it as a appetite stimulate and it does work, she eats a lot, she eats like 3 ff a day, I may have already asked u but I forgot

4. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

You are a braver and more experienced mama than I...I thought 107 was good...oh well...lots to learn from experts. Do what you know best...Luci and I will be watching...Hope Davidson will level off and stay on that surfboard :)

5. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Shawna, I am so sorry that Davidson isn't feeling well. It is hard to see them not able to walk. When that happened to Forrest, it broke my heart. The b12 pills have really helped him .

Like I said the other day, the catch 22 of one supplement you give to help one thing causing another issue is just exasperating.

6. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

Remember Sue - ECID and Davidson's good numbers should average in the high 60's.........this is his second go around and harder to get him into remission. He's trying, but he's under a bit more duress with the RKD and therefore creeping up into the blues. Have a peek at his SS and you'll see how well he was doing - as far as the diabetes goes, he's still doing well for the most part - just have to juggle the dose here and there so he doesn't get used to higher numbers.

Thanks for looking, and regardless of the level our kitties are at - we all have the same emotions, frustrations, anxieties, etc. and only want our kitties to be healthy, loved and pain free.

I didn't see that, but will search it out here.........he ate more, but only if there's just pure food, no supps.......I'll ask my Vet as this will be added to the "list"

Bobbie, I'll check with the Vet and see what he says about pure B12 supplements, as I see it's an ingredient with the Avanti Kidney stuff, but something in there isn't sitting well with Davidson.

I know he's not well in spite of looking good, as he goes to my shower and lays down in the water that's left on the base. He doesn't dry himself off and lays comfortably on the cool base.......and yes, the air conditioning is on but I guess he decided that's his spot. On a positive note, he's eaten a bit more and now laying on the couch and he jumps up by himself, so not all muscle is lost.

Sue and Luci likes this.
  7. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Do you have hard wood floors or tiled floors by any chance? When Forrest was at his worst, I had to make a trail of scatter rugs across the wood floors so he wouldn't slip until the B 12 kicked in and he got better.

Forrest did the same thing with the water in the bathroom. He started laying on the wet bath mat that was supposed to be over the tub , but DH forgot to pick up. Guess the cool water feels good.

ETA: Forrest and Bubba both do not want to eat their 1st breakfast as that is the meal I put the supplements and miralax in. So, I have had to resort to sprinkling a little bit of FlortiFlora over the meal to get them to eat it.

8. Judy and Boomer

Judy and Boomer Well-Known Member

When our civvie Allen first got sick, he was very weak. It turned out he had hypercalcemia. Has Davidson had blood work recently?

9. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

Yes, blood work is shown in a tab on his SS and that's how I know he has RKD as his blood works showed it when I took him for his first "geriatric" bw.

Judy and Boomer likes this.
  10. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

Mr. Davidson sure like messing with my head, but today he thinks he made me stay home from my golf day, but I beat him to it as I gave up golfing in the mornings so I can make sure he eats and monitor him while I figure out the supplements.

So, forget the increase in dose as with numbers like this so early after the shot he's staying right where he is...........he may even go below 40 today and earn a reducie!!

Sue and Luci and Sonia & Leo like this.
  11. Sonia & Leo

Sonia & Leo Well-Known Member

12. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

Reducie earned..........guess thinking increase is out of the question.......may hold the dose for another day, see how he does in the next few hrs and tonight. Fed high carb crapola Friskies food, but added some pot. suppl. and he ate it. See, crapola food is good for something cuz it hides the crappy taste. PURFECT - crapola food + crapola supps = Davidson eats and gets the best of both!

Sonia & Leo and Sue and Luci like this.
  13. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

I think it's a good idea to hold the dose for another day and observe how he does. Rusty was getting B-12 shots for the last year of his life (once a month) and they really helped him--improved energy. But he didn't have kidney disease.

Have a good golf day!

Hugs and scritches,

14. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

haha, no golf...........decided to stay home to watch Davidson and insure he ate. So, joke was on him cuz even tho he pulled a fast one and Hypo'd to keep me here, I was already home!!!

YES - agree to hold the dose as I felt better to do that then intentionally bring him really low hypo's..........his numbers will show it if he gets a reducie and with the blues it's best to let him surf a bit.

15. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

Okay I'm smarter then Davidson thinks and figured a way to trick him, which may not be conducive to his BG's but it gets him the best of RKD and FD.............I give him his low carb/low phos. food and mix in a wee bit of the supplements, then on top put small weenie teenie bits of the HC foo bits which every cat loves! He eats his food with the supps, and gets the bits of HC at the same time. It's not too much and I did it this morning and he went hypo, but he thinks his bowl is filled with the HC food and the only issue is it's time consuming on my part, but it gets him the good food and suppls for a bit of HC in trade. It works, so I'm keeping with that for now...........

His +1 is higher as it's the 1 tsp HC food.......it's a trade off with the supps, so I guess that's the catch 22 I'm in and I'm sure he'll drop back down soon

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
    Reason for edit: added text
    Sonia & Leo likes this.
  16. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Wendy&Tiggy(GA) Well-Known Member

I thought he was ok on the 1/16 tsp of the potassium? Eating and less nauseaous?

17. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

nope......for the first day he liked it but after that all down hill <(.........but I did give it to him today mixed with the yummy HC and gravy. He won't get any during the night but will try to give some tomorrow jus tin case it actually helps.