8/6 - Neko Day 1 CSU & tumour pic

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Wendy&Neko, Aug 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Yesterday http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=76499 was the last of the travel days.

8/5 Recap:
    AMPS 365 +5 222
    PMPS 308 +3 321 +4 250

8/6 so far:
    AMPS 487 +10 499 Double Yuck!! probably from the fast drop last night and wherever she went. The +4 was at midnight and I couldn't feed her after that.

Today was day 1 at CSU, She is assigned a vet student, Suzanne, who looks after her and does the phone calls. They gave us regular status during the day, and it is good to hear status. After a physical exam, Neko was taken away for anaesthesia and the CT scan. They told us that about 10% of cats with high IGF-1 numbers have no visible tumour, so there is always that little bit of a worry that you've made that long trip for nothing. Well, it turns out Neko has a moderate sized tumour. Not too big to press against things but big enough to see to radiate. All in all, good news for going forward.

Neko is currently wandering around the rooms, checking things out, even occasionally playing with her nanner. We are all waiting for LB action though. Dr. Timian commented that Neko has a very large bladder (I knew that) that was full and she also had poop inside - we knew that too! :lol: Apparently she did pee at CSU so that's a relief. Neko has had her first couple tsp of food and now wants more. Tonights PMPS will be food influenced. As I type, Neko is digging in the LB - yeah! Good size prezzies. cat_pet_icon

I've included a picture of Neko's tumour for those who are curious. We'll get the official size tomorrow. The white part in the image is the skull. Inside that and above the black square shape is a gray half moon image resting on the white. That is the tumour.

Attached Files:

2. Anne & Zener GA

Anne & Zener GA Well-Known Member

Thank you for the update, Wendy. Hugs to you and DH. I know it's been a long day. Yay for 3 of the Ps! :D Paws crossed for tomorrow.
    Liz

3. Doug N Libby

Doug N Libby Well-Known Member

Hey, Wendy -

Glad to hear a progress report and that things are moving right along. Thanks for sharing the tumor picture - wow!Continuing to pray all goes well!

Have a great night -

Libby (& Hershey, too!)

4. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

So glad this was a productive day for you & Neko..Sending Prayers for Complete Healing and for an easy experience there for all of you! I know many here who have gone through this very successfully & know this will help Neko..Sending a ton of Hugs & Love from us!

5. Michelle and Mannie (GA)

Michelle and Mannie (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Wendy -thanks for the update! Hugs to all there. I know how trying it can all be. I am glad that today was productive for you all. The photo is fascinating - thanks for posting it. I am wishing you guys a successful day 2.

6. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

Ann & Maggie11 (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Wendy, how interesting with the pic of the tumour. That helps me understand more of the SRT and the treatment. Thanks for the update. Glad Neko gave some prezzies. :D Lots of hugs and healing vines and a wonderful outcome. Looking forward to hearing from you tomorrow. Sleep well.

7. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

Great update all around. We're thinking of you guys!!!

8. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

So glad to hear that you have good news about the size of the tumour and that all is going well. We continue to send all sorts of SRT vines. Thinking of you.

Ella & Rusty

p.s. thanks for posting the pic of the tumor. Very interesting, and great news that it isn't pressing on anything.

9. Wendy&Neko

PMPS 416 and that is food influenced. That just shows how much of her AM+10 was stress.

I bought Neko some Nature's Variety raw chicken today. The sample size package will about the right amount for our stay here as I won't be able to keep it frozen once we start driving back. Neko loved it - but I expected that, we haven't met any food she doesn't like.

Poor Neko has shave spots on three legs, so her poor long haired legs look a little like poodle cut. :sad: She has been doing a lot of grooming, trying to get the vetty smell off. Her walking seems fine now so I think she is over the worst of the effects of anaesthesia.

KTSS gang - I need immediate help with lavender and rosemary! I smell so bad. I'm licking myself all over but it's a big job.

@Liz - we managed to do a bit of touristing to keep our mind of Neko today. It's the longest of her days at CSU. We found a Harbor Freight for DH! We are up to 4 P's now!

@Libby - things seem to be moving well. Neko got a good overall report from Dr. Timian. Thanks for the prayers!

@Roni - I am so glad I have the experience of others to call upon. Thanks for the support. It means a lot to us all.

@Michelle - the photo was just us using our camera to take a picture of the computer screen. They are going to give us a CD with images which should be clearer. I find it fascinating to find out what is happening inside. The people here are great. They even have volunteers in the waiting room making tea/coffee and answering questions.

@Ann - Both DH and I are keen on scientific details and they are very willing to help explain. The SRT radiates from many directions with small doses and the goal is to stop the tumour cells from reproducing. It doesn't go away right away, but will once the cells have lived their life out. To me it's also interesting that the IGF-1 numbers really don't mean anything. Neko's numbers were a lot higher than Grayson and Leo's but her tumour is apparently smaller. Maybe it's a girl cat thing! :lol: It's less common for girl cats to get acromegaly.

@Amy - thanks for visiting. We all appreciate the power of LL that will help Neko through all of this.

10. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Great update. I hope you and Neko are hanging in. I hope you get a good night's sleep tonight.

11. Wendy&Neko

Ella - I missed your post while I was posting. The tumour would press somewhat but not too badly. Some acrocats can go blind if the tumour presses on the optic nerves. I have noticed that Neko is sensitive to bright light so there could have been some impact. The good thing about SRT is that most of the body changes caused by the growth hormone will eventually fade away. Dr. Timian says they don't really know the relationship between IGF-1 numbers and size of tumour or amount of insulin needed. It requires a study but it's a rare enough condition that it takes a while to gather the data. Due to the distance to travel to get treatment and cost, the vast majority of cats don't get SRT.

Just adding one amusing thing Dr. Timian said today. She has found that most of the people who come to get SRT for acromegaly know their cat so well, that she's given up giving dose recommendations, unless they ask of course. One of the initial questions they ask all people is whether they follow their vet's guidance for dosing.

12. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Wendy

What a great first day report!! Wow on the tumor. Sending Neko great treatment vines!!!! Hugs to you :D

13. Tracy & Leo

Tracy & Leo Well-Known Member

Yay that they found the tumor, I've gotta say I was quite relieved when they said they found the tumor on CT. I can see Neko's tumor and it looks quite flat compared to Grayson and Leo's. Have you gone in to see Dr Griffin yet? I'd recommend taking a notepad in just because she tells you so much that you end up forgetting most of it!

It's really too bad we couldn't have all been there at the same time. It would have been nice to meet you and Neko.

I'm sending good radiation zapping vines for Neko for tomorrow. Good luck!

14. Wendy&Neko

PMPS 416 +3 295
    And down we go. An hour and a half until food cutoff. I'll do a +4 check and hope she slows down some.

@Sienne - I too am hoping for a good nights sleep but we have to be at the clinic at 8AM and I'm up until midnight it looks like now.

@Marje - tomorrow the treatment begins. It's exciting and a bit nerve wracking. The support is really appreciated.

@Tracy - we haven't seen Dr. Griffin yet and thanks for the tip. DH is usually a good memory for detail but I'll take my notebook. Yes, too bad we couldn't have met in person, but as Dr. Timian said today, I probably "know" a high percent of the cats they have treated.

15. Pip & Rupert

Pip & Rupert Well-Known Member

wow! how very interesting! Thanx for sharing and such great reports/updates! So good to know there IS something there, and something you can treat! All sounds good!!! and Neko sounds like it's just a 'non event' and isn't at all stressed! Truly amazing! so glad you are doing well, thanx for the updates!

16. tortie58

tortie58 Well-Known Member

Thankyou Wendy for the update. Special prayers for Neko to stay calm & successful with the treatment.

17. Karrie and Maverick

Karrie and Maverick Well-Known Member

I haven't visited your condo before either. I only skim condo subjects lately and yours caught my eye. You are an awesome Mom and you and Neko make a great team. Good luck with the SRT!!!! Thank you for sharing the picture - it was neat seeing it.

18. Grayson & Lu

Grayson & Lu Well-Known Member

We got that from them as well. Since we interact with other Acro-moms and dads, we are often getting (or needing) a lot less input from our vets. Unfortunately, however, as Grayson's dose has increased substantially. I'm gonna have to schedule a consult so I can explain where I've been and where I'm going with his treatment, and gotta ask for more insulin on my script! At this rate, I'm hoping the resistance breaks sooner rather than later!!! I had planned to do that w/ the vet anyways, but just haven't scheduled yet!

Tracy already said this, but Neko's tumor is much flatter. Because it is right on the optic nerve, it seems to cause light sensitivity, and in Grayson's case, dilation. I'm now seeing more iris that previously, and he's not quite as sensitive.

Sending you SRT success vines and prayers for you all! Good luck today!!!

19. Anne & Zener GA

Anne & Zener GA Well-Known Member

Harbor Freight! Cool. I would like to go to one of those some time. I love the digital calipers that we ordered from them. Besides handy for measuring the dose, it is a great design. Thinking of you today and sending good SRT vines.
    Liz

20. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

hi wendy! i hate to bump up neko's condo from yesterday, but there isn't one today yet and i want to check in with you while i'm online. i had dental surgery last week and have been kinda laid low from it. glad they could see the tumor to help with the radiation plans. hopefully you'll have some good results immediately. i gotta say i think punkin's tumor has revved back up - here we are 10 months later and his dose and numbers are both on the rise. just today i'm thinking his pupils are more dilated again too. cursed tumor.

funny comments from CSU about the dosing advice. yes, by the time we get there we know our kitties pretty well. as much as i respect our vet . . . they don't know diddly squat about acro. there isn't any point at all to turn to them for advice. unfortunately. not the vet's fault, because we know they don't see it much, but that's just how it is.

hope today was very easy on neko - i thought the first day was the hardest, so hopefully neko's going to take the rest very easily. cheering you on!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.