8/7 Neko PMPS 414 - Day 2 CSU

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Wendy&Neko, Aug 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Yesterday http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=76558 was a mostly red day at CSU. I asked Dr. Timian today and apparently she did get a couple of pinks during the day yesterday. Last night started a lower red and fell quickly to yellow and I suspect some blue.

8/6 Recap
    AMPS 487 +10 499
    PMPS 416 +3 295 +4 207

Today started out OK, but the 1/2 dose plus vetty stress are contributing to her numbers. Fortunately she was back at the hotel by +5 and I can get most of her breakfast into her before nadir. Since Neko was dropping quickly last night, I did ask about the "no food after midnight" rule and was told I could bend it a bit if her numbers go too low. Good to know. I guess they'd just start her treatment a bit later.

Neko has had her first SRT treatment. Apparently she was a champ at CSU. She is currently trying hard to get rid of all the vetty smell. We will be talking to Dr. Griffin and get a tour of the facility on Thursday. The CT scan results aren't complete, so we'll find out tomorrow if there has been any impact on any of the organs. All in all, a successful day one so far.

DH and I took a drive to Estes Park while we waited for Neko. It's a nice little area up in the mountains. We sat drinking our :coffee: at the back Starbucks patio which was under trees and beside the river. It's a lot cooler up in the mountain area and has views of the Rocky mountains. There were hummingbirds zinging around trying to catch the bugs on the river. Very relaxing!

@Pip - Other than her numbers, Neko doesn't seem too stressed. CSU is really interesting, yesterday there was a dog who was successfully treated for a rattlesnake bite!

@Helen - thanks for the ongoing support, Neko does seem pretty calm about it all.

@Karrie - thanks for stopping by. Neko and DH and I are having a big adventure here. The picture really was cool to see!

@Lu - we are grateful to have this community of acro beans to help us out. I'm planning to bring a lot of material into my vet when I get back, hoping I can bring her up to speed willingly.

@Liz - Harbor Freight is on the main road from the hotel to CSU. As we passed REI yesterday I said we should stop in and DH said "but we don't really need anything there do we?". Then we passed Harbor Freight and I got to say the same to him. We went to both :lol:

@Julie - sad to hear that your dental still has you down. Hope that's the last of it. I had taken a peak at Punkin's SS the other day and noticed you were going up again. I'll add that to my list of questions to Dr. Timian as to whether the up and down is expected and for how long. Today was shorter so hopefully easier for Neko.

2. Grayson & Lu

Grayson & Lu Well-Known Member

Re: 8/7 Neko AMPS 299 +5.5 419 - Day 2 CSU

Glad to hear she's doing well. The crazy BGs are to be expected - not only the travel/lodging differences, but likewise the insulin doses, feedings and vet time, strangers handling her and feeling kinda woozy. It all adds up to craziness for a little while. She will settle back in once you return home.

Keeping an eye on you... it's really amazing to see the pics of the tumor and the equipment they use to shoot the radiation. You're working with an AWESOME staff, and I expect you'll be pleased when all is said & done. Perry/Cathy's cat Sooty has really had a breakthrough recently from his Cyber Knife Radiation just a few months ago, so I think we're all waiting (as patiently as possible) to see similar results from our SRTs.

Continued well wishes for Neko, DH and you!

3. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

It's so good to hear things are going well.

Do you mean Estes Park? I was there years and years ago. It's lovely.

4. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

i'll be curious to hear what Dr Timian says. I emailed here within the past month and she basically said it's part of the dance, just give him what he needs. so that's what we've done. until i realized today that his pupils were gigantic i'd been thinking it could be attributed to infection - something from the dental or the C Diff. now i'm not so sure. his tumor was gigantic and they seemed pretty confident about getting it, so it's hard to imagine enough got missed to have it rev back up. but who knows.

if you want to learn to use the R, i can teach you. you might ask dr timian, though, if it's better to wait til you're back home. i'm not sure. i think i would just to not have too many tinkering things going on with neko. there are some ways that R behaves differently in a cat with iaa. that's not to say not to use it, just factors to learn about. the primary thing to know is that its effects last longer in an iaa cat. Sandy is pretty well the pro on that. i have bookmarked some posts that she's made on it. i'll dig around and try to find them for you. punkin would've been well over 400 today if i hadn't used it.

5. Wendy&Neko

+10 413
    That one was a real struggle to get. She has found a hiding place under the bed headboard and between the mattress and the wall. We can't get her if she is there as the bed is way too heavy to move. She came out for the treat bag noise but struggled wanting to go back there. Someone has lost her trust in us! She got a bit of a snack and then heading back to hiding. I think we are going to have to block off access or she might be impossible to get when we need her. Normally getting a BG is no problem.

@Lu - I was expecting crazy numbers. From her dental I knew that the anaesthesia doesn't seem to drop her numbers much. It's just hard to see her high and glassy eyed. The staff all seem great so far. Dr. Timian said to call any time of day or night if we need.

@Sienne - yes, I did mean Estes Park (corrected above). Some of the cottages with back porches that backed onto the river looked positively inviting today! Another day in the mid 90's. Neko's personal caregiver Suzanne had recommended it to us. The trip was the perfect amount of time away while we waited for Neko.

6. Wendy&Neko

@Julie - just missed your post. I wouldn't do R until I got home because you are right, too much is going on right now with Neko. I did ask Dr.Timian what she thought about Lantus vs. Lev, and she said that looking at Neko's spreadsheet that Lantus seems to be working right now. I'm close to the end of the 5 pack of Lantus cartridges so had wondered about that. I will ask her what she thinks about using R for Neko.

7. Anne & Zener GA

Anne & Zener GA Well-Known Member

Great report! Good work, Neko. :D Paws crossed for a good day tomorrow. We never let not needing something stop us from visiting REI. :lol:
    Liz

8. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

poor sweet neko. she's probably had enough and is ready to go home. i've read a suggestion to use extra pillows to block off that area behind the head of the bed.

here's Black Kitty's SS

Article on Extreme Insulin Resistance

this is a quote from Sandy in a pm to me and another person:

also, it might be helpful to read some of the posts where Sandy was guiding Linda in the use of R for Weezer, who has both acro and iaa as well. here's a place to start: Weezer 1/23 and you could go backward through previous posts, or forward by looking up Linda for Weezer's posts from there. some good info in this particular condo.

9. Tracy & Leo

Tracy & Leo Well-Known Member

:lol: I know that exact hiding spot you are talking about Wendy!!!! The morning we left CO Leo saw me packing and high tailed it for that spot, treats couldn't even lure him out :lol: Its the perfect kitty size hiding spot too.

I'm glad to see Neko did so well today. Did they give her any R while she was in today?

Nice to hear you and DH were out and about today. What do you think of Fort Collins so far?

Have a great evening :D

10. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

I'm glad Day 2 went well for Neko. Paws crossed that her treatment will be 150% successful!!

We used to have a timeshare in Estes Park right outside the entrance to Rocky Mountain National Park. It was incredible there....so beautiful!!! I'm glad you got to go. Fort Collins is one of my fav places :D :D

11. Wendy&Neko

PMPS 414
    Still got a hidey cat in the room that only comes out when the fridge opens :lol: But seriously, we are wondering if she is feeling some effects from the treatment. DH commented that he thinks going near her head bothers her. She was fine patting her body, until I tried scritching the ears. She was really struggling when I was trying to do BG tests. Tonight I'm going to lay off until the before bed test. Yesterday she was affectionate and playful after coming out of anaesthesia and similar BG.

@Tracy - we've tried stuffing the bed hidey hole route with pillows, but she still seems to get in there. The CSU folks didn't even do any BG testing today, much less give her R. She was back in the hotel before nadir. I don't think they gave R yesterday either given her numbers, although they did test her. I find Fort Collins rather spread out and quite hot for us. But we did buy a bag of fresh Colorado peaches on a road side stand today. :thumbup

@Marje - we drove up to the entrance of Rocky Mountain National Park. It is truly gorgeous there.

12. Grayson & Lu

Grayson & Lu Well-Known Member

I had to explain to the housekeeping staff that the pillows HAD to stay under the front part of the bed... there was no way Grayson would've come out for me... except maybe with those freeze-dried herring treats I got at the pet shop in Old Town... Keep in mind, I had to store them in the microwave - one of the few places Mr. Opposable Thumbs has NOT yet figured out! :lol:

Sounds like she's otherwise settling in to the routine. It does get easier each day - both for her and for you guys, although it sounds like you've found some nice places to hang out! I visited Estes Park a few years ago... it was BEAUTIFUL!!! Glad you were able to go there!

I'm meeting w/ my vet to discuss Grayson, SRT and his treatment, so the timing of the attachments on this thread is PERFECT!!!

Wishing you another very good day!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.