8/8 Loudogg AMPS 116 +3 165 PMPS 140 +6 101 +8 72 - Civvie Bella vomiting: Diagnosis!

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Amanda and a Loudogg, Aug 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amanda and a Loudogg

Amanda and a Loudogg Well-Known Member

August 7, 2018 Condo

Morning all,
    Lou's having a wonderful start to the day, and I hope it can continue. :D

In more worrisome news, my civvie Bella, is vomiting today. She 10-11 years old. She over-grooms (she has OCD with it), and so she throws up hairballs relatively frequently. Monday evening she threw up a bit of white foam prior to PMPS. Although she's never done that before, I'm not super worried, as Caleb forgot to feed them their last meal before the 2-hour mark. This morning; however, she's thrown up 7 times and I've been up for 1.5 hours. She threw up 4 times in the first 30-40 minutes alone. The first bit was clearish mucusy vomit. The second was white foam. She refused to eat, which is not really like her (there's a reason I call her my hoover). She threw up twice more before I finally goaded her into eating with some Parmesan on her food. She only ate a few bites. She was fine for a while, jumping up on her cat tree, wanting attention, but I notice she's darting her tongue out of her mouth. She's not doing the full mouth lip licking, like after she eats. But just darting her tongue out and possibly swallowing more frequently. She's okay for a while, and then she goes off to the "kid's room" and throws up 3 times in quick succession. I can't seem to find a hairball and I can't tell/don't know if she's having issues in the litterbox. I just saw her at the water bowl, which is also a rare occurrence. I don't know what's going on. Is it possible there's a hairball stuck somewhere and she'll be fine on her own? Other than not eating, she's acting normally, if a bit more lovey dovey than normal. Regardless, I do want to get her in to the vet for a checkup. She hasn't been in over a year (since before Lou's diagnosis). I think I just need to know if I should get her in ASAP or make an appointment when they have availability. Thoughts?????

Thanks in advance!!

2. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

Shawna & Davidson (GA) Well-Known Member

IMO a visit to the vet is warranted. Sounds like Bella is also dehydrated which will occur when you vomit that much. Try to get some water into her, perhaps with a syringe. Feel if her gums are tacky, if so she's dehydrated. Not sure about feeding the cheese to her, perhaps crushed freeze dried treats are a better option as no fats or carbs and maybe that induced the vomiting? I'm no expert on that subject, but if it were me I'd be taking her to the vet as could be something worse.

3. Amanda and a Loudogg

And there she goes for the 8th and 9th time, and we're back to white foam. *Sigh* I'm calling the vet to see if I can get her in.

ETA: Of course there's no availability. What's the point if no one is ever available?!

4. Amanda and a Loudogg

Thanks for your reply Shawna! Thankfully I was able to call another vet the animal hospital and they can get me in this morning. I hope it's nothing serious (i.e. I hope it's something easily remedied).

5. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Hope it isn't anything serious and some fluids and cerenia will do the trick of getting her back on track.

6. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm glad you can get her into another vet. Sending prayers. :bighug:

7. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Sounds like possible nausea. They will probably want labs done, have them check for pancreatitis.

8. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

Good to hear you've got an appt. You may want a full blood screening done as it's also helpful with the FD DX. Hope it's nothing serious, sending vines to you

9. Amanda and a Loudogg

Thank you all so much for the good thoughts and suggestions. I've listed out all of her complaints so I hopefully don't forget anything. I will definitely ask them to test for pancreatitis. We'll be leaving for the vet in about 1/2 hour. I'll let you all know what the verdict is!

Tracey&Jones (GA) likes this.
  10. Amanda & Shmee

Amanda & Shmee Well-Known Member

I hope your Bella's issue is a quick fix, sending vetty vines your way :bighug:

11. Amanda and a Loudogg

Hello everyone,
    We just got back from the vet. Good news: the vet thinks its acute gastritis. She had labs and everything looked great, especially considering her age. It's possible she might have a hairball that might be stuck or still working its way out. There was no obvious blockages or discomfort on physical exam. She was given an injection of Cerenia and she is to take a 1/2 tab of Cerenia for 4 days starting tomorrow. The vet also gave me a hairball laxative (laxatone) to give her twice a day for the next week to move out any hairballs. I went ahead and got a couple of cans of I/D food just in case. I waffled, but in the end figured it wouldn't hurt. Thankfully she ate right away after we got home!

Whew! What an expensive way to let me know she had a tummy ache. :rolleyes::facepalm::p Cats.

12. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm glad it wasn't anything serious.

13. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

14. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

That cerenia injection works wonders. Glad to hear things are only an upset tummy.

Amanda & Shmee likes this.
  15. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Glad it's easily fixable.

16. Amanda and a Loudogg

Thanks everyone! I am so relieved! I was so worried this morning... I don't think Bella has been sick a day in her life. I agree Tracey! It really is a miracle med!

Tracey&Jones (GA) likes this.
  17. Amanda & Shmee

Amanda & Shmee Well-Known Member

Glad to hear it went well overall and the cerenia really sounds like it will help. Now you can breathe :)

18. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Glad to hear Bella is on the road to recovery! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

19. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Glad to hear Bella is feeling better! I know they'll worry us all into an early grave ... :arghh:
    And Loudogg and Luci had a similar day again - are they consorting??? Thankfully lots of blues - you had your hands full with Bella...and I was so sick today - I really didn't need to have to get up to test Luci a frequently as the last two days...how do they know???? :eek:

20. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

21. Amanda and a Loudogg

Thank you everyone! And thanks Lizzie! I'll check that out!

Oddly enough, and because I can't catch a break, Lou has been acting weird since just before Bella and I left for the vet. I got it then, he thought he was going to the vet, but it's literally been 12 hours now. He's still hiding and running away from me after every time I test him. He's not really eating a lot (too busy running away and being a scaredy cat I reckon). At this point I'm not sure if he literally STILL thinks I'm going to whisk him to the vet, or if he's actually pissed that Bella got "special attention." :facepalm::rolleyes: Ugh. Part of me thinks he's never going to do well on the trip this weekend (if we still able to go). Part of me is also shocked that he can still be so jealous of her getting attention, haha. He has literally perfected the green-eyed stare of jealousy.

Bella's just come to visit me on the couch, which she hasn't done since the vet. She's eaten every meal I've given her and had NO more vomiting episodes since we've been home. This last meal she was out of bed, ready, and excited to eat. Hopefully she'll continue to improve!

Sue and Luci likes this.
  22. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

You didn't happen to say the words out loud 'Come on Bella - we're going to the 'vet' now' did you?:eek: Don't even want to say those words in the house - or think about them too much either...silly cats!:p I'm sure they're telepathic...reading our minds behind those cat eyes...put your foil cap on :woot::woot:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.