9/02 Toro - bigger numbers after increased dose - is this normal?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Toro & Ovi, Sep 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toro & Ovi

Toro & Ovi Member

Hi, I have to ask again....we started on 1u......please have a look at the old numbers when Toro was on 1u...had blues and yellows and he was doing fine. Nice fur, water intake reduced, hold his weight, etc.
    Since then we increased to 1.25u and now again to 1.5u. The good numbers didn't repeat and the BG's were going up a lot - without seeing lower nadirs constantly. What worries me is the water intake and the pee have increased, too.
    Now, we are doing everything by the book and I don't understand what's going on. Did anybody with experience went thru the same thing? Is the increase dose with bigger numbers normal? Shall we continue to increase till we see again better numbers or go back to 1u, be patient and see if he stabilize himself there? I understand he was not quite on the right dose but maybe we missed the right dose between 1u and 1.25u (1.1 u or so)......please comment.
    Thank you.

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

After a point in time those early lower numbers become history and aren't used to decide on a dose (generally). His 1.5 u dose has to be held according to the SLGS guidelines you're following. He's only received this dose 4 times and might not be settled on it yet. We call it "new dose wonkiness" (NDW) and it can be an increase in BG in the first couple of cycles.

Toro & Ovi likes this.
  3. Toro & Ovi

Toro & Ovi Member

Thank you. I understand. But on 1.25u did't repeat the better numbers from 1u even after 9 days of increased dose.
    All I need to know if this happened to somebody else and if it's normal.

4. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

FD is frustrating. It's normal. You just haven't found the magic dose yet. When you do he will likely bounce around until he gets used to more normal BG.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
    Toro & Ovi and Kris & Teasel like this.
  5. Chubba (GA)

Chubba (GA) Well-Known Member

Gizmo saw increased numbers several times as we increased the dose. It was to the point I started questioning the protocol like you, but I kept with it and he seems to have hit his breakthrough dose. It was like someone just switched a switch. It is very difficult and frustrating, but it does work. :bighug:

Toro & Ovi and Kris & Teasel like this.
  6. Toro & Ovi

Toro & Ovi Member

Thank you, frustrating is an understatement....we appreciate your feedback. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.