? 9/07 Macka - Question regarding vacation dose

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Penelope and Mačka, Sep 7, 2019.

1. Penelope and Mačka

Penelope and Mačka Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I left yesterday and Macka is with his pet sitter. Oddly, his BG was in the 300s all day (maybe less, he was doing great) yesterday, even at PM shot time, and before bed.

This morning he was at "only" 431. I am concerned that maybe the vacation dose of 3units is becoming too much to be safe. The pet sitter can test here and there but not constantly like us. And at night she sleeps.

Should I reduce to 2.5?

I couldn't sleep last night because I was so scared he would die of hypo during the night :(

2. Crista & Ming

Crista & Ming Well-Known Member

Those are high safe numbers imo.

What do you mean by “only”?

Hope you’re having a fun vacation! :bighug::bighug::bighug: I’m sorry you were so worried about Macka but I would be too whether the numbers were high or low. Wish we could bring our kitties with us everywhere :)

Penelope and Mačka likes this.
  3. Penelope and Mačka

I mean that 431 in the morning is lower than he's ever been! It's still high yes, but I am fearing a bounce break or finally the steroids wearing off...

4. Crista & Ming

Sorry, could you remind me when the house sitter is able to test?

I think I would still shoot 3 units. You recently reduced from 3.25 units and that dose was safe for Macka. But yes, maybe he’s breaking a bounce but, if I was a gambler, I bet if Macka had lower numbers in yellows or even blues, he would bounce back up. And it’s great your sitter can test more than PS so you’ll have some idea about what’s going on.

5. Penelope and Mačka

She can test once during the day and once before bed (+2).

6. Penelope and Mačka

You would think he'd bounce, but maybe his liver finally decided it's okay? And of course on the day I leave

7. Crista & Ming

If the +2 is significantly lower, then you can have the house sitter leave out MC or even HC for Macka.

If you do decide to reduce, I wouldn’t reduce a whole half unit. 2.75 u if it’s possible for the house sitter to dose. Or even a skinny 3 unit.

He might very well be bouncing already from the pink numbers last night. But yes, I understand the fear and the inability to test as much as we’d like is certainly scary.

8. Crista & Ming

9. Penelope and Mačka

she's gonna test at +5 during the day

Crista & Ming likes this.
  10. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I think you'll be OK. You dropped his dose back from 3.25u and you're in touch with your house sitter. The lowest nadirs have been in the yellows. I would just be sure that there's food available for Macka. I'd also check with your cat sitter to see if Macka is eating while you're gone. Some cats don't eat as well when we aren't home.

11. Penelope and Mačka

Thank you. Yes I am suspecting he's eating less too. Low carb or Medium carb out?

12. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

LC should be fine.

13. Justin & Sebastian

Justin & Sebastian Well-Known Member

It's very upsetting to me that this board's approach to hypo has people so stressed out they they can't sleep at night, especially when on vacation. I don't know what else I can say other than being in the 300s is more than safe and you really don't have anything to worry about. Do what others have suggested, touch base with the sitter and make sure he's eating. If the sitter can get the +5, that's perfect, because a +5 is going to be the closest indicator of if the numbers are going low and so far you're seeing that they're not.

Please try and relax on your vacation. Caring for a diabetic cat is stressful as it is but we need a break every now and then otherwise you'll burn yourself out.

14. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Macka is fine for today unless he isn't eating.