9/10 Grandpa AMPS 421

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Beck and Philly, Sep 10, 2018.

1. Beck and Philly

Beck and Philly Well-Known Member

Tracey&Jones (GA) likes this.
  2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

:(:bighug: Here's hoping for a better day today.

3. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Just a suggestion...

Given Grandpa's circumstances, give yourself permission to go with your gut and follow your heart. Trying to even loosely follow a certain dosing method/protocol may not apply or be best for him right now. I've known caregivers in similar circumstances who will routinely skip shots on those low preshot numbers. Another option is to shoot as needed... when you feel the preshot numbers is high enough. You don't have to follow a strict 12/12 shot schedule. One day you might want to shoot at +12... another at +15. The goal is keeping Grandpa as comfortable as possible and you rested enough to care for him. You make the rules.

I hope you both can get a few naps in today...

:bighug: :bighug: :bighug:

4. Beck and Philly

Oh wow! Thank you! I SO badly needed to hear this.

Beth 73 and Jill & Alex (GA) like this.
  5. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Great advice from Jill!

Beth 73 and Beck and Philly like this.
  6. Beck and Philly

Yes! I love having a plan or an outline as a guide, but he is just so unpredictable. Something has allowed him to spend several days in blues and greens, so the protocol here has likely extended his life, but he is reacting differently as time goes by. Adding in flexibility is a relief.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  7. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

Beck, you are the best ❤️ Know when I send love and prayers to Grandpa they are covering you as well . Those words from Jill are soooo good for all of us to hear . You will have inner wisdom and strength and guidance as you are flexible with sweetheart Grandpa kitty . You are well able :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

8. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

There's more to all this. I wish I was smart enough to explain it all, but here's what I know from observation...

We've often noticed the insulin requirements of our diabetics with cancer decrease dramatically... so much so that for years and up 'til recently we said "cancer eats sugar". Well, we now know that to be a myth, but it doesn't change the fact that kitties with cancer will often react erratically to exogenous insulin. Some will suddenly go off the juice.

Adding flexibility and remaining flexible is a must... for both your sakes.

9. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Sending hugs.......:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

10. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Could also be the bupre eased some pain he could be having. Just a guess but being more comfortable would have some impact, I would think.

11. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

12. Beck and Philly

My roommate took Grandpa to the vet. Luckily once again our favorite vet was able to see him. She said he is alert and very present and it is "not his time." I love that lady.

We are going to treat this as a pancreatitis flare, even though it could be caused by his masses. She echoed what Jill said above, advising us to adjust insulin dosages depending on how he is at the time. Not huge adjustments, but she suggested guidelines. She gave him a Cerenia injection plus more Cerenia pills. She cut his bupe dose in half and said to give only at night. She read the nutrition info on the S&C bag and said it sounded good for him. The important thing is that he eats.

He just ate several more rehydrated nuggets and is on my bed. We've given him a rest from constant poking. I think we all need a rest.

13. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug: Rest ❤️