9/11 Muffin AMPS 298 +3 325 +8 209 PMPS 224 +3 240 +8 278

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Julie + Muffin, Sep 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Julie + Muffin

Julie + Muffin Member

2. Doodles & Karen

Doodles & Karen Well-Known Member

3. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

(Sigh....)
    The concept of Somogyi was originally described in a St. Louis medical journal in 1938. It was based on a rather small "study" of 5 humans. The results of that study have never never replicated. . Based on a Medscape discussion in Dec. 2011, Cooperman & Grifing noted, "Although this hypothesis is well known among clinicians and individuals with diabetes, there is little scientific evidence to support it. Clinical studies indicate that a high fasting glucose in the morning is more likely because the insulin given on the previous evening fails to last long enough.[6] Studies from 2007 onwards using continuous glucose monitoring show that a high glucose in the morning is not preceded by a low glucose during the night.[7] Furthermore, many individuals with hypoglycemic episodes during the night don't wake due to a failure of release of epinephrine during nocturnal hypoglycemia.[8] Thus, Somogyi's theory is not assured and may be refuted." IMHO, chroni Somogyi rebound is more of an urban myth than a true phenomenon.

The long-acting, depot types of insulin that we use now were not available when Michael Somogyi published his report. His subjects were humans, not cats further making the generalization of his finding dubious. For whatever reason, the concept of chronic Somogyi rebound has been proliferated in both humans and felines when based on research evidence, one would have thought it should have been put in its grave decades ago.

A recent article by Roomp & Rand (it's in one of the links in the sticky notes) looked at data from numerous cats on the German Lantus board and concluded that Somogyi rebound does not occur in cats on Lantus (and I'm assuming, by extension, Levemir).

4. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

I wish I had a brain like Sienne's....

5. Doodles & Karen

Doodles & Karen Well-Known Member

6. Julie + Muffin

Julie + Muffin Member

Thanks Sienne for the good info. Here's is the link my vet gave me. Looks like it was revised in May 2016. I will share your info with her. Do you have a date when it was published?
    http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=1605

7. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

@Julie + Muffin --
    The issue I have with the section of the link your vet provided you with is that there are no citations backing up the section on Somogyi. What seems to happen is that the original article (1938) has been "cloned" forward in books perpetuating the idea of it being a valid factor in feline diabetes management. No one goes back to either read the original research or any critique gets lost in the shuffle.

This is the citation:
    Roomp, K. and Rand, J. (2016). Rebound hyperglycaemia in diabetic cats. Journal of Feline Medicine and Surgery, 18(8), 587-596. I've attached a copy of the article.

Attached Files:

Julie + Muffin likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.