9/11 pmps 57 +1 86 +2 100 +3 181

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Tiger and the squid, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Tiger and the squid

Tiger and the squid Member

Tl;dr - good numbers all day, acting normal, lowest pre shot number ever. Probably skipping shot tonight.

Good evening folks. I had the day off work so I was able to get some mid cycle tests done to see how my boy is doing. His numbers made me really happy, I thought we were doing great. I probably should have tested a little more after +6, though, because his pmps is 57 (and 59 when I did a second test just to double check)

Tiger and I are new to lantus, and my husband who was helping with dinner wasn't quite aware of the protocol for such low pre shot numbers so he ended up putting the food down. I didnt feel right giving the cats their food and then taking it away again so I let them eat, ff classic pate (chicken and liver, if that makes a difference with about half a can of warm water mixed in)

He hasn't acted hypo all day, has been jumping up on the bed and the couch. I'll check again in a little bit, but just wanted to double check that I'm making the right decision.

Last thread

To follow up on a couple of questions there - yes, Tiger is my baby boy and Squid is what I go by online most of the time. I didnt really know about the naming convention here of "owner+pet" and now i dont think I can change it to fit in :c

Tiger is eating all wet food, mostly ff classic pate (updated my sig to reflect this additional clarification) but sometimes m/d.

I adjusted my spreadsheet slightly to help me, since I primarily edit it from my phone, taking out the times when I dont test made less scrolling, as did splitting it up monthly. I dont have his test results on that page as I have misplaced the paper I got back when we had him tested.

I think someone had asked why we took him to the very initially, leading to his diagnosis. Tiger was ... not extremely lethargic, but he had me concerned. He was just going from one sleeping spot to another, and having accidents in his sleep on top of that. My first vet tested him, told me about the diabetes and suggested since Tiger was so old, I may want to consider putting him to sleep. Well that just wasn't an option, not without at least trying to treat him. So he gave me vetsulin, showed me how to shoot, and I found a new doctor the next week. Dr A is much better with Tiger. She checks his spreadsheet, emails me regularly, and is just fantastic.

Anyway, here we are.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
  2. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

Wow! Where did that number come from? :D

Do you, by chance, know Johnny Quest?

Good for you. That "attitude" just, well, :mad::mad::mad::arghh::arghh::arghh:

3. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

since you are a newbie, we don't tell you to shoot under 200/ or even 150 without one of us to guide you and stay up with you the first time. I can't stay with you tonite since I am pet sitting and will be leaving soon.

You would have been testing often thru out the night if you had shot. But obviously the depot for Lantus has filled and it's working.
    I wouldn't be surprised if you will soon be earning a reduction ( which would mean a number just under 50 - unless you are doing the go slow method)

I hope after tomorrow, maybe even tomorrow evening, you will be able to monitor for that reason.

4. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

You should be able to change it by going HERE and choosing "Change Username"

I know there's a limit to how often you can change it but I don't know what it is.

You could also add your real name to your Signature if you like

5. Tiger and the squid

Right?!?!?! He is inching his way back up, 100 at +2.

I know Johnny Bravo........ lol

Yeah. It was really gross. Like, I get it, he is very old (19 next Sunday!!!!!) And even my current vet made sure I knew I wouldnt be adding on another 20 years (I wish!) But just to offer euthanasia BEFORE insulin? Wow. I wouldn't put my grandmother to sleep because she had diabetes (and I dont even like her as much as I love Tiger lol)

Thank you so much. I appreciate the advice. I am trying to avoid staying up all night tonight anyway, so I'll just hold off.

When should I start thinking about a reduction? Another pre shot around 50? Tiger definitely had some insulin resistance when he was first on vetsulin, but started responding better just a little before we switched to lantus.

Give the pet you're watching a head bap from me! :)

6. Tiger and the squid

Oh I forgot I wanted to post this. Tiger's face when he gets woken up from naps for testing when he just KNOWS his numbers are good. But hey, treaties are coming so that's good too :cat:

Attached Files:

7. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

:D

From another forum. Only "Squid" I know. Just unusual user name :smuggrin:.

Welcome.

8. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

the black was very much expected.... i know you hate seeing it.

But.... it's just a normal response.
    When his bg drops lower than his body considers the current normal, the liver dumps counterregulatory hormones in response and his bg shoots up to the sky.
    but he did see the green .... and he will again...

9. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

If I may offer a few suggestions...

Those of us who have been around here a long time look at spreadsheets for trends. Seeing a snapshot of one month only makes giving feedback exceptionally difficult. We need the big picture.

Seeing a 77 at +6 and not getting any tests until PMPS might be problematic especially in light of that PMPS being 57. That is a situation where getting a +6.5 to see if the numbers were dropping or rising would be prudent.

Likewise, at some point, you are going to need to be closely monitoring Squid's numbers over the course of several hours. Not having columns for those times will present more than a little bit of a problem. If you need to see an example of what I mean, please look at Gabby's SS.

Your signature doesn't indicate if you are following SLGS or TR for dosing. If you're following SLGS, you need to reduce Squid's dose -- numbers under 90 indicate a dose reduction. (With TR, the dose reduction point is below 50.) It looks like you did reduce although typically you want to reduce the next cycle.