? 9/11 Scooter PMPS 64, +4 57, +6 53, +7 59, +8 61 AMPS 64 Sitter Dose not working!!!

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Jill & Scooter, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Jill & Scooter

Jill & Scooter Well-Known Member

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/9-8-scooter-sitter-dose.202768/#post-2250983

Good Morning All,
    My sitter dose is not working at all and I leave this evening!!! Scooter was on 8.5 units, I was fairly sure if I were not going to be gone he would earn a reducie to 8 units this morning. Sunday morning I reduced him to 7 units to give the depot time to drain and to be sure the dose would keep him higher. It looked like it was going to be just right until PMPS last night. Now I don't know what to do!!! I'm wondering about skipping this morning to drain the depot and then reducing to something less than 7 tonight???? Sitter will get PS tests and maybe a +6 - + 9 during the day.

2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

What a change in Scooter's numbers from when you started! If I had to dust off my crystal ball, I'm guessing that Scooter may have had insulin resistance (insulin autoantibodies) and the resistance broke. It's why you're seeing the rapid change in numbers and a reduced need for insulin.

I think your suggestion of skipping and then dropping the dose seems like a good idea.

3. Jill & Scooter

Yes, incredible change and I’m very, very happy with his numbers! Do you have any suggestion as to what to lower his dose to? I just want him safe while I’m gone! Thanks Sienne!

4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I might think in terms of a 5.5 or 6u. Feel free to look at Gabby's SS. I generally grayed out the periods when I was travelling so you can see how I handled the dose. Gabby was never on a big dose of insulin. I would drop her dose anywhere from about 1/3 to 1/5 less than her usual dose.

I'd also leave very explicit instructions for your petsitter and even give her your password for the Board if she feels like she needs help. Since there's usually someone around, she will be able to get assistance if you're not immediately available.

5. Jill & Scooter

Wow you really had to fine tune on the dose for Gabby! I think I will go with 5.5. I’d rather have him to high than to low. I have showed her how to get on the board and I’m also having her text me his BG each time, so I can adjust if necessary. She just won’t be testing like I do, so I don’t want him too low. Thanks for your help!

Leah likes this.