9/17 AMPS 97, +2 39, +3 36, +4 59, +6 65, +8 76, +10 64, PMPS 63

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by WileyWonderCat, Sep 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WileyWonderCat

WileyWonderCat Member

I'm trying my first glucose curve today after only being able to do AM and PM preshot tests. I'm worried that he is at 39 at only +2! I gave him some high carb treats. Should I also give syrup? He isn't showing any symptoms- just napping per usual.

I recently reduced his dose to .75 u (3 days ago) since he has been staying under 200.

2. Doodles & Karen

Doodles & Karen Well-Known Member

Yes give high carb wet food or honey/ karo

3. Doodles & Karen

Then test again in 15 / 20 min. Repeat until above 50. Try not to fill him up in case you need to feed more. Once over 50 test every 30 min until he stays above 50 for 2 hours without any food

4. Doodles & Karen

@Bobbie And Bubba are you around? I'm on my phone at the moment and can use some extra eyes

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  5. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

What was your pre shot number?

6. Bobbie And Bubba

Yep, I am on.

7. Bobbie And Bubba

Please post your next test number when you get it.

8. WileyWonderCat

WileyWonderCat Member

He is at 36!! Just gave him more treats and some syrup

9. Bobbie And Bubba

If the treats are dry they take to long to work. Give High Carb wet food and if you don't have that, add a few drops into his regular wet food ASAP.

10. Bobbie And Bubba

We must get him up in numbers. Please test him 20 minutes after the wet food with syrup and post. Or if you have High Carb food with gravy, give a few tsp. of the gravy.

Doodles & Karen likes this.
  11. Doodles & Karen

You want him out of the 30's so add a good tsp or 2 to his regular food. Like Bobbie said, treats are going to take too long.

12. Gussie's mom (GA)

Gussie's mom (GA) Well-Known Member

Add the honey or Karo to is food is what they are telling you. You might need to rub it on his gums if the food isn't working...

13. Doodles & Karen

Thanks @Gussie's mom . You'll also need to reduce his dose to .5u tonight but lets just get him back in a safe range for now. Please post the new test when you get it.

14. WileyWonderCat

WileyWonderCat Member

Finally got him to eat some high carb wet. His appetite has been terrible. I'll test again in a few minutes.

15. WileyWonderCat

WileyWonderCat Member

I'll give him more syrup too right now- he won't eat it willingly

16. Bobbie And Bubba

Like Karen said, it doesn't have to be a lot because you don't want him to get full and not eat a few more spoonfuls later if he needs to.

17. Gussie's mom (GA)

Gussie had a cow with the Karo, he's not fond of the honey but will actually eat it if I put it in his food. It also seems to stick longer in his bloodstream. Some use maple syrup too. Each cat is different. :bighug::bighug:
    You test at 20 min there shouts to be sure to have the food/syrup taking effect. :bighug:

18. Doodles & Karen

That's funny the whole "cow" reference. Doodles vomits from Karo but does ok on the honey too. We're all here to help so will hang out for the next test :)

Gussie's mom (GA) likes this.
  19. WileyWonderCat

WileyWonderCat Member

20. Bobbie And Bubba

Wonderful. Can you get another test in 20 minutes to makes sure that he is rising and not falling ?

21. Doodles & Karen

Ok good. You'll need to test every 30 min now for the next 2 hours to make sure he stays up without food. Then you can go hourly until you see him rising or staying flat on his own. Once the HC food wears off he could come back down. You'll do the same as you did just now. Hope you have enough strips!

It would also be helpful when things calm down for you to put together a spreadsheet so we can help you more often. Spreadsheet Instructions if you need help let us know. We need data in order to help. Also choose a protocol to follow. If you are feeding any dry Start Low Go Slow is the only method you can follow SLGS. The other option if there is no dry being fed is Tight Regulation (TR)

22. WileyWonderCat

WileyWonderCat Member

Thank you all so much! I'm so thankful for this forum and your support. Sticking with me means a lot.

I've been using the SS, I just haven't posted it. I feel like a bad cat mom because I've only been able to do minimal testing and I didn't even do any tests for the first two weeks. Wiley hates the testing and often I need my partner to hold him down. Treats are not enough motivation for him to test without struggle. So there is very little data to work with. I'll be sure to put it up later today.

In general I have been doing the SLGS, though even that isn't perfect. I basically followed the vet's advice of giving 1 unit to start. And then reduced it without a ton of data but he seemed to be dropping on his preshots. He is still eating a tiny bit of dry- mostly I only give it to him if he puts up a hunger strike against wet food. Dry food consists of a combination of Wellness Core and Young Again Zero.

I'll be sure to post his next result. Thanks again.

23. Gussie's mom (GA)

It will all get easier to do and understand with some times doing it! :bighug:
    What was told to me helped: remember you are not doing the testing to be mean, you are doing it because it is necessary to keep him safe..:cat:
    You are not a bad cat mom, you are doing more than many will..and you are here!:bighug:

24. Doodles & Karen

Please don't feel this way. Heck, I didn't test for the first 3 months per my vets advise and then only minimally for the next 3 months after that still following vets advise. I finally found this forum 6 months after Doodles diagnosis! Talk about a bad cat mom! If testing is difficult SLGS is probably the best option and also because there is some dry. Don't feel bad about that either...some of our kitties are a little difficult.

25. WileyWonderCat

WileyWonderCat Member

He tested at 59 now, so at least it is still increasing.

So can I still count this as a +4 reading? I guess I can't count this as a true curve since I gave him some high carb food, which wouldn't be given normally...

26. Doodles & Karen

Is it 4 hours from his shot then yes...if it's close then yes otherwise we do record tests something like +4:15 or +4:30 etc. He's earned a reduction to .5u tonight.

27. Gussie's mom (GA)

Congratulations on the reduction!:D

28. Gussie's mom (GA)

Did you retest?

29. WileyWonderCat

WileyWonderCat Member

He is at 65 at +6. He was hiding under the couch a bit ago so just got another test.

I've added his spreadsheet. Hopefully that will help in the future. It's pretty empty right now.

30. Gussie's mom (GA)

Sounding good! Remember to get that test at 2 hrs after the last food to see that he is maintaining the bump! Congratulations on the dose reduction and well done this morning!

jayla-n-Drevon likes this.
  31. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

65 is good
    You may want to post tonight at shot time if he is low as the depot may need to drain a little.
    If you do be sure to put a question mark in the thread for expert eyes. :bighug:

32. Gussie's mom (GA)

Reread the instructions Karen posted above for what to do.. and if he is dropping you simply start the clock over for getting to that magic 2 hrs stable without feeding to prop the numbers up.
    As Chris says..lather, rinse, repeat!
    Well done!:bighug::bighug:

33. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

You did a great job!

One thing to appreciate is that numbers can wobble around. As the HC wears off, there's the possibility that numbers could drop. I'd encourage you to get a test no later than +7 to make sure you know where Wiley's numbers are heading.

Let me offer a bit of additional information.

Much of what people were telling you to help get your kitty's numbers into a safe range is in the Shooting & Handling Low Numbers sticky. It's helpful to know where the written instructions are in the off chance there's no one around. The information was developed for those following TR but the basic principles are the same.

If you are entering information on your SS and it's not on the hour, you can use a fraction of the hour. So,

• 30 min past +4 = +4.5
    • 15 min past +4 = +4.25
    • 20 min past +4 = +4.3
    If you are entering numbers with a "+" sign to indicate the time, you may have to manually color the cell.

In addition to corn syrup (Karo), honey or maple syrup, you can use simple syrup (sugar and water), pancake syrup, ice cream (just not chocolate) or anything that is sweetened with sugar to raise numbers. Do not use a sugar substitute.

34. Gussie's mom (GA)

I'm signing off now, hope you are comfortable, if not, with @Sienne and Gabby (GA) here you are in great hands! I would get a test in at about 11.5 so you have time to post for help if you need it before you shoot tonight. Congrats again on earning the dose reduction! That's Exciting! :bighug::bighug:

35. WileyWonderCat

WileyWonderCat Member

Thanks so much to everyone!! :) That was a stressful morning. Right now he is at 76 (+8). I will definitely post a PMPS number. I'm happy to reduce his dose, but am still worried about his symptoms of increased thirst/urination and decreased appetite and energy. Those symptoms haven't changed much since his diagnosis. He is scheduled to have another round of blood tests this Wednesday to look at his kidney functioning (again).

36. WileyWonderCat

WileyWonderCat Member

Dropped a bit at +10. He ate some low carb wet at +9...not sure why the drop? Going to test in a few minutes for PMPS.

37. Doodles & Karen

Lantus is known to give a "double dip" meaning there could be a slight drop at the end of the cycle but it's usually higher than nadir.

38. WileyWonderCat

WileyWonderCat Member

I really don't want to shoot since he's at 63 PMPS. This is the lowest PMPS he's had. I know I've only had a few days to compare, but I'm worried and can't stay up all night to test. Any thoughts are appreciated!

39. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

I think you'd be fine to just skip tonight

You've had a stressful day and you don't have enough data on Wiley to shoot low numbers yet

40. Doodles & Karen

I agree about not having the data to shoot this low and since you can't stay up all night skipping is the best option and just start again in the morning with the lower dose. I might get another before bed test. Good job today :bighug::bighug:

41. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

And don't forget....those 30's definitely earned him a reduction, so tomorrow's dose would be .5

42. WileyWonderCat

WileyWonderCat Member

43. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

SO glad you posted for advice!! i was worried for you.... been in your shoes:bighug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.