9/18 Tucker AMBG 76, +0.5 349 (shot given), +4 140, +5.5 169, PMPS 284 +4 57, +4.5 85, +5 88, +6 94

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Tucker12, Sep 18, 2019.

1. Tucker12

Tucker12 Member

Good morning!
    Yesterday

Tucker surprised me this AM with a 76 (4.2) preshot. I did a +3 last night and thought all was well as he was at 212 (11.8). I gave him some LC food and I am going to re-test in about 1/2 an hour and see where we are before shooting.

Have a good day everyone :cat:

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    Reason for edit: add link for yesterday
  2. Figaro's Liz

Figaro's Liz Member

Wow, that is a big jump in 30 mins, even with some food! I've retested a handful of times when I've been really surprised by a number. I have actually never gotten a "bad" reading, but at least then I know for sure I had an accurate number... just something to keep in mind.

Just curious, did you build your SS from scratch? It looks a little different--which isn't necessarily a bad thing! But it does help forum members to take in the information quickly when the format is consistent, and if you wanted to change to the template, it would be easier to do that sooner.. since you'll have ever-more numbers to enter! :) There are templates to copy linked here: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/

Tanya and Ducia likes this.
  3. Tucker12

Tucker12 Member

Haha yes I had built that SS from scratch from looking at other members. When I joined for some reason I struggled finding the templates. I switched it now so it should be consistent with everyone else's :)

Sue and Luci and Suzanne Burton like this.
  4. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

Huh. Sure does look like a bad strip at pre-shot, but now he's dropping back down at a decent clip. Is there any chance that he was, I don't know, startled or excited by something (SQUIRREL!!!) between those first two numbers? I'd definitely keep an eye on him today, in case that 76 was the true baseline (as unlikely as it seems!).

Out of curiosity, how did you and your vet decide on the 1.5U starting dose? How much does Tucker weigh?

5. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Ss looks fine to me. Hopefully that + .5 was just a winky number, it happens

6. Tucker12

Tucker12 Member

I actually do not know how the vet came to her recommended dose. When I went to get the lantus from the clinic, they said she would leave me a message of the dose (she was in surgery) and that's what she left on my voicemail. We didn't discuss dose in person because initially, she wanted to try glipizide--I called back the next day saying I did not want to use it.

He weighed 5.2kg and is underweight (he is currently a 3 on the 9 point body score scale). The dose is slightly above the 0.25u/kg on the TR recommendations.. as you can probably see on the ss I got cold feet on that dose after the 2nd dose. I am lucky I can keep a close eye on his numbers so I decided after we had our BG testing down pat to go back to it and see how he did. Maybe I am being too aggressive with his dose. I am following the TR recommendations now so will be holding at this for 5-7 days.

And he always get very excited at breakfast time. I ordered an autofeeder to see if I can lessen that by having a small meal released for him in the middle of the night.

7. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

Gotcha. Yes, you would hold this dose for a while (unless he requests a reduction by going low), after that it's best to change in 0.25U increments. Especially with an underweight cat, you don't want to overshoot. Looks like you're in the ballpark of a good dose now, getting lots of action. Glad you're testing so much!

Ha!

Autofeeder sounds like a good idea-- a lot of our diabetics do really well with multiple small meals during the day/night, and an autofeeder makes that easy. Since he's underweight and not yet regulated, it's ok to give him some extra food-- the diabetes likely isn't allowing his body to make full use of the calories he's taking in.

Sue and Luci and Tucker12 like this.
  8. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Autofeeders are wonderful for feeding plenty of small meals throughout the night...day...whenever we're not there to personally attend to these cats :)

I hope Tucker comes back down...I'm suspicious of a bad reading with that 76 this morning. Unless she had a big dessert of some kind after that...but not likely located in her LC food :D

9. Tucker12

Tucker12 Member

PMPS 284. Doing a full curve tomorrow. The vet really wants one and it would be nice to see a full 8 hours from my perspective too (it almost looks like his nadir is around +4 but I don't have +7 or 8's yet either). Going to do a later +4 tonight to see if I can catch him dropping more than he did last night (although I too am doubting that 76 this am..silly me didn't repeat that test but did the +0.5 twice because I couldn't believe the jump:rolleyes:)

10. Figaro's Liz

Figaro's Liz Member

Looks great!! :) It's hard to sift through everything at the beginning... and you were right to do the important part first (the testing!).

11. Tucker12

Tucker12 Member

+4 only 57 :nailbiting:. Fed some 10% canned and retest in 30 mins to see where he is going!

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    Reason for edit: Decided to retest in 30 mins vs 1 hour
  12. Crista & Ming

Crista & Ming Well-Known Member

Sounds like a good plan.

Tucker12 likes this.
  13. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

WOW! Tucker really can't make up his mind. Big jump this AM and now a big drop. He's really keeping you on your toes! And we thought Elmo was a sneaky guy!

Beth 73 and Tucker12 like this.
  14. Tucker12

Tucker12 Member

+4.5 @ 85. Only got a smear of LC food to keep him occupied for testing. Retesting again in 30 to make sure still stable or heading up. If he is still rising, what is the general consensus on retesting again? I really am data light on what he is doing overnight so maybe then an hour later?

15. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

Ain't that a fact !!! Tucker and Elmo must have met in secret today and hatched this plan !

16. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Ideally you want two tests in good range without food influence, so test in 30 minutes and then if he's holding steady, no more food and retest in an hour. If bed is urgent, you can get away with the second test at 30 minutes. I'd leave more food out for him to munch on overnight.

Tucker12 and Crista & Ming like this.
  17. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

I'm still up too :) I think we are in same time zone just different countries ....it's 12:50 AM right now here ...I live in SW Missouri .

Tucker12 likes this.
  18. Tucker12

Tucker12 Member

Holding steady at 88 @+5. No food given. Going to set an alarm for an hour.

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.
  19. Tucker12

Tucker12 Member

+6 94. Holding pretty steady and no food since +4.5. Fed him LC Friskies pate (1/2 can) and feel comfortable signing off for the night. I hope Elmo decides to join Tucker and get some rest :bighug: