9/21 Beebo AMPS 150 (60hrs since last shot)

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by BeeboTheBeanMachine, Sep 21, 2019.

1. BeeboTheBeanMachine

BeeboTheBeanMachine Member

Didn't shoot. Will test again tonight. At what number would you recommend resuming her injections? Our syringes have half marks; should we do a half unit tonight if numbers stay above 150?

See this thread for previous info.
    tl;dr: Beebo has only been on Lantus since 9/4. I only recently got a monitor and was only able to get my first successful test on Thursday morning, 9/19. Her numbers were low and have stayed low since then (see SS). Vet hoped the hyperglycemia was the cause of her diarrhea and vomiting, but we don't seem to be out of the woods with her stomach issues yet. Vet has been monitoring her steroid-induced hyperglycemia since December 2017, and had been on the fence about whether her numbers warranted insulin, but recent higher numbers combined with other symptoms (excessive thirst/urination, increased hunger, vomiting, diarrhea) concluded that we should try it. Since her numbers weren't severely high to begin with, is it possible that just two weeks of Lantus has put her into remission? And was hyperglycemia really the cause of her stomach issues, or is there something specific we should investigate further?

2. AmandaE

AmandaE Well-Known Member

3. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Excellent job on the thread title today!:joyful:

Great job on getting the SS up too!

So, I see you've been shooting previously without testing - around here that's a no-no; but I think you've caught on to that already - so we would definitely encourage testing prior to shooting.

As I already mentioned in the Main Forum since I was tagged - that it might be better not to give her any more insulin until you get some more numbers in her SS - I really don't see any numbers there yet that would warrant giving any insulin at all...so first we need to establish how high and low she's actually going by getting a curve - yep, the good old tests multiple times in a day and night time too (ugh on those night time tests, but oh how those numbers getting filled in will help us all to see exactly how her BG is doing)...we realize that you may have a life other than testing Bee - and it'll take some time to fill in the blanks - but it's very difficult, if not impossible to ascertain a level of diabetes in any cat who's only been tested at the vet - they're often stressed there - even if they're asleep - and with her other health issues it's just difficult to tell what her BG's are really doing from one day to the next.

So, put your Lantus on ice - really I just mean keep it in the fridge. You've got quite an investment there so if you keep it in the fridge it'll last a really long time - I used my first vial of Lantus for almost a year - it was good to the last drop - but must be kept in the fridge - never frozen or left sitting out (no matter what you hear or read on manufacturer website)...for cats - because of their low dosage we keep it in the fridge.

We've already chatted about her diet - I hope those tummy issues will settle down - that's going to take some trial and error to see what she can keep down (and in) w/o the diarrhea and vomiting issues - a challenge for sure. You can keep notes on your SS about what she's eating and the results of those meals - as to what is making her sick vs hopefully some food items that won't.

As I've just mentioned - without some mid-day tests - I wouldn't shoot at all. The thing about Lantus is there's an active cycle that happens during the middle of the day - some cats earlier, some later - and if you look at the numbers they're typically higher at AM or PM (AM morning, PM evening) PS = pre shot times....so based on the lowest number in the middle of the day we determine best dosage - so it's most important now to take it slow - find out how low she's going - without any more insulin - you've had 60 hours since the last shot - but there's still the 'depot' in play - another effect of Lantus - it builds up in their system and we call it the 'depot' - no one knows how much insulin she has in her depot or if it's all drained out...

If you can, please read the stickies at the top of this forum. There's a ton of information there and it'll help you get a grasp of what's going on here....but for now, I'd suggest holding off on giving any more insulin until we have some mid-day tests - every two hours if possible to see what's happening with her blood glucose.

I saw your comment about all the wiggling and difficulty getting the tests - and I have to tell you the first few months we had to test Luci it was a two person job. She was never a 'sit in your lap' kind of cat and didn't much care for the whole experience of being 'trapped' by DH or me and then - dear god - poking her in the ear lobe! She growled and hissed and wriggled around...and the biggest thing that helped us was 'the treat' - the heaven-sent treats! She'd participate (well briefly at first) when a treat was involved. Sometimes we'd just get her on the counter (it was where we could see best - and reach her the easiest)...we set out a towel, laid out all the testing stuff and would hold on to get that little drop of blood on the test strip. The first weeks were very difficult and I was convinced that this was never going to work - but we were very determined to save her life. I've told this tale of woe a zillion times...but it's good to know that we've all struggled in the beginning. It also helped a lot just to get her on the testing towel, rub her ears, pet her and talk to her - and not test - then she got a treat...ah ha...what was this all about? Food!:rolleyes: Luci was a fool for a nibble...and so every other time we'd really do a poke...and then she got food...soon it wasn't so bad to get her up there...and she'd hold still...because for her it was all about the food...now I whistle for her - he comes and gets on the towel and lays there purring - REALLY! while I do what needs to be done and then she gets a little snack for her trouble.

Take a look at our SS and you can see how often Luci puts up with all of this. Our vet told us if it were his cat, he'd put her down...she'll never allow you to give her insulin or test her...so much for his advice!:mad: But you've got the cool vet and it sounds like he's supportive...so start that testing routine - go to the same place every time - whether you test or not - offer a treat.

I've ordered treats from Chewy that are pure freeze dried rabbit, chicken or salmon...might be good to get some of those and try them - they're very simple - no mixed in junk - just freeze dried meat...check it out...

Keep up your SS today - lots of folks will try to provide you support and guidance:bighug:

CandyH & Catcat likes this.
  4. CandyH & Catcat

CandyH & Catcat Well-Known Member

also if you have a grocery in your area which caters to those who cook Oriental -- go get some bonito chips -- may be called katsuobushi too -- wonderful treats, inexpensive since it's human food, can be ordered online .. or if you need the pet version, CatManDoo has it

ETA -- Catcat still doesn't like or enjoy being tested, but he loves the food and the treats, so while he protests, he forgets quickly and dives into whatever appears in his bowl

Sue and Luci likes this.
  5. BeeboTheBeanMachine

Thanks for all the info! Testing has become much easier now. I’m able to get it during her first few bites of food since not much distracts her from a fresh meal :p Right now my only testing woes are how much I’ve bruised up her poor white ears, but I’m sure it just looks way worse on her since she’s so light in color. I feel terrible about it, but she doesn’t seem bothered by it. She’s a very chill cat. She’ll tolerate shots, breathing masks, eye drops, and flea baths, so I’m not surprised she’s gotten used to the testing so quickly.

When we first started the insulin, I was under the unfortunate impression that testing was really unnecessary (or at least would require the investment of an expensive pet specific monitor) so obviously I really regret not having that data. Thanks to the encouragement from the group, I was motivated to venture out into the burbs to the hellish Walmart to get a monitor and figure out how to use it. Quick question: when filling out my SS, should I still put mid-day tests in the +x fields even on days I didn’t shoot? Or is there a different way to indicate a no-shoot +x test?

Also, for what it’s worth, all tests my vet has done in the last 4 months were home visits (he’s started his own practice and doesn’t have an office yet) so I was hoping the numbers weren’t skewed by car/vet stress.

Sue and Luci and CandyH & Catcat like this.
  6. CandyH & Catcat

CandyH & Catcat Well-Known Member

yes, put the test results there, the more data you see and we see, the more accurately we can plan or advise .. doesn't matter if you shoot or not (though if you skip a shot, mention that .. put "ns" in the box, or "skip"

Sue and Luci likes this.
  7. BeeboTheBeanMachine

+5 test is 85. Last ate at 9am, eating again right now. Am I supposed to update the title of this thread to reflect that?

8. BeeboTheBeanMachine

+8 is 106 (sorry if I’m replying too much. Not sure if I’m supposed to update you all with each test or just let you know about the whole day later. Thanks for your patience of my n00bness)

9. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

You don't have to update the thread with every test - some do, some don't. If you think it's time to get some attention to your condo aka thread, you could post the new numbers - otherwise just filling in your SS is the best first step - soon a pattern will emerge and we'll see what's going on with Beebo...love all her names...she must have quite a personality to carry all that off :)

Luci is short for Lucifer - when she was a youngster she was a real hellion...running up and down the drapery, barstools...leather jackets and chairs...nothing in our home was spared from her insanity...she chewed a hole in the middle of a brand new pullover sweater of mine! Just to name a few of her more memorable antics...I thought we'd gotten the devil incarnate in this little bundle of black fur...what a holligan she was...

Let's see what Bee is doing today - it looks like she's bringing in some mighty normal looking numbers! Good for her!!!

Suzanne Burton likes this.
  10. BeeboTheBeanMachine

Luci sounds like trouble!! Beebo is quite sedentary, so she doesn’t get into much mischief, but it’s harder to get her to exercise. When I use all her nicknames, people are often like, “wait, how many cats do you have???” Just the one, but she’s big enough and loud enough for more.

CandyH & Catcat likes this.