9/21 Cameron AMPS 56, +1 62, +2 39/55, +3 74, +4 108

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Leah, Sep 21, 2018.

1. Leah

Leah Member

I'm going to test again in 20. If he's rising would you shoot?

2. Leah

Leah Member

3. Catacular

Catacular Member

I'm not a dosing expert (1 cat, Day 86, currently on OTJ trial), but given his newness to this number... I wouldn't shoot unless I could be there and test every hour or so until he starts steadily climbing higher...

4. CassAndGordy(GA)

CassAndGordy(GA) Well-Known Member

I wouldn't shoot unless you'll be home and have plenty of HC supplies.

5. Leah

Leah Member

I'm home today (sick me, sick kid) and have loads of supplies. I decided to shoot .5

Catacular likes this.
  6. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Get a +1 and +2 to see where he might be heading. There will still be a lot of the higher dose working.

Leah likes this.
  7. Leah

Leah Member

Definitely will do! I'm a little freaked out by my decision, but i just couldn't see skipping the shot entirely. Especially since I'll be home to monitor and guide.

CassAndGordy(GA) likes this.
  8. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Mandy & Rex (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi! Sorry I wasn't around at AMPS. Friday - Sunday I sleep in because I don't work.

You do need to test as if you gave the full dose because the depot is in play. But now you will see what happens when you do a BCS.

Gill & George likes this.
  9. Leah

Leah Member

I should know this, but what's BCS?

10. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Big Chicken Shot

I had to ask when I did my first BCS. :joyful:

Leah likes this.
  11. Leah

Leah Member

Is it a chicken shot because i was too scared to do the usual dose?

12. Leah

Leah Member

Oh, is it because i'm playing chicken?! I totally am.

13. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Yes. Everyone has done it. :rolleyes::p

Leah likes this.
  14. Leah

Leah Member

I can't even imagine shooting a full dose that low! I was telling DH about it this morning and he said 'Isn't that what we're hoping for though? Get him low and keep him low?'

Yes, dear heart, but i need to keep my sanity somewhat intact!

Mandy & Rex (GA) likes this.
  15. Leah

Leah Member

Gave him two tablespoons of gravy lovers which he wolfed down. Added about 1/2 teaspoon honey to his remaining breakfast and some water, for grazing if he needs it. Testing in 20.

16. Leah

Leah Member

55 ! Feeling less stressed ;)

17. Leah

Leah Member

He very nearly threw up after his +3 poke. He's curled up now in his favorite daytime napping spot. I think I'll check him again at +4, unless he starts munching down food or acting off.

18. Leah

Leah Member

20180921_104959.jpg
    I love it when he sleeps like this because his spots make a heart :)

He keeps having a loud stomach and almost puking, then he settles and goes back to sleep.

19. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Congratulations on another reduction!!

I know it's scary, but it's what you want.

Leah likes this.
  20. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Cameron is on a mission! Tiring for the bean, but oh, so exciting!

ETA: I hope his tummy settles. Did you give HC food? Some kitties tummy's don't handle it well.

Leah likes this.
  21. Leah

Leah Member

Yes, he had some of the FF gravy lovers. I never know if that is medium or high carb. He never touched the pate with honey, so I popped that in the fridge for now. If he keeps rising I'll toss it.

@Mandy & Rex - should i reduce by .25 to 1u? Or do I keep the 0.5u I shot this morning?

22. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Reduce to 1u. 1.25 down to 0.5 is too much for the reduction to work. The 1.25u depot was in play this morning.

FF gravy lovers are high carb. Did anyone ever link you to the cat food chart? If not, I'll send you the link.

Gill & George and Catacular like this.
  23. Leah

Leah Member

I do have it, i just haven't looked at it lately.

24. Mandy & Rex (GA)

I have it saved in my Google Drive so it's easy to find, especially if I'm in a store and want to check on a new food.

Leah likes this.
  25. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

Congratulations on the reduction, and hi from BFG and me, not visited before

The early part of this cycle likely played out just the same as it would have done because of the depot of the 1.25u so shooting the higher dose would not have likely played out differently, in Cameron's case with the data you have we can see that you've taken the dose up safely and taken reductions as they have come so it would have been ok to shoot the full dose, you'll get there.

One thing I wanted to point out was that this morning's amps seemed to be a falling number, to me that in itself was an indication that shenanigans could be underway, you did the right thing by getting a +1, which was about the same as amps, again another sign that the cycle was going to be act, so getting +2was a wise move, but you may want to consider a lc snack at +1 if a similar situation arises again, it could be enough just to keep him surfing those low greens when the insulin onsets instead of onset resulting in a drop below 50.

The point of TR is to try to keep them in the healthy range 50-80(human meter) for as long as possible sometimes holding on to a dose by actively steering the numbers with LC snacks is a successful way of doing this. If he really wants the reduction he will tell you.

This reduction to 1u is coming fairly close to the previous one, the 1.5u dose at only 4cycles might still have been a little in play here. So watch for this reduction holding if it seems like it's failing you may need to go back up to 1.25u, be guided by the numbers.
    As you've shot a BCS, that will have also drained the depot, so that will need to stabilise too.

Leah likes this.
  26. Leah

Leah Member

Hi Gil & BFG!

Wow, that was incredibly detailed information, thank you! As far as the snack at +1, usually he's still grazing breakfast at that point. Sometimes until +3 or +4. Would you take the food away the first time he walks away from it? If i add water again he thinks it's new food and will steadily eat again ;)

No pun intended, but one certainly enjoyed, I feel like I have a lot to digest tonight!