9/21 Harvey Update

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey, Sep 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

Yesterday

First of all, I want to thank you all for all the support and encouragement you have given me through all this, and especially in yesterday's condo. This is an amazing family! :bighug:

Steve called this morning and said Harvey was about the same, not any perkier. He was pleased that Harvey had eaten well. A couple hours later, Dr. Lim called. She felt Harvey looked a little bit better than yesterday. She said they were going to move him from the Intermediate Care Ward to the regular ward, which would be significantly less expensive (YAY!).

Later in the afternoon, Dr. Lim called again. They had run Harvey's bloodwork. His kidney numbers were good, the Potassium was good, but the white blood count was high and the red blood count was low. The urine culture came back showing there was an infection, and she was concerned it might have spread to the kidneys. She double-checked with the microbiology department, and they said he was already on the correct AB for the bacteria. She said he needed a transfusion to get his red blood cell count up. He would be in ICU for a few hours for the transfusion, then if all went well, back to the regular ward. :nailbiting:

Mark and I made it to UCD half an hour later than planned, but we were only allowed 10 minutes with Harvey, anyway, since he was in ICU being prepped for the transfusion. He definitely looked punky, but he did lift his head and look around when he heard my voice. We loved on him for the allotted ten minutes, then left.

I gave Steven copies of Harvey's spreadsheet, as well as the Roomp & Rand study on TR and the paper Sienne shared with us about the Somogyi effect being unproven in cats. He was very interested and said he looks forward to reading it all. He said they'd just had an expert on diabetes do a lecture a few days ago, so it was fresh on his mind. He said he had spent some time with Dr. Nelson in his first year at UCD, so he appreciated what I told him about what Dr. Nelson told me. This is a future vet with enormous promise!

Steven just called to let me know the transfusion was complete and that so far, Harvey has had no adverse reactions. :) I was so grateful to hear that, as I was very nervous about the procedure and potential complications. He made a special trip back to the hospital to check on Harvey.

I am just exhausted. My car is still in the shop and I haven't heard from the dealership about it yet. :mad: I had my physical therapy appointment today. The PT showed me my MRI, and I could see why my doctor said it was non-diagnostic. She showed me how to use the TENS unit. I look forward to trying it out.
    I spent the afternoon killing time at the mall (uh oh! :smuggrin:). I met Mark at the Ford dealership, where he dropped off the truck for some work. Then we fought traffic across Sacramento to the Chevy dealership to check on my car. Still not done (another day in the rental $$$). After that, we headed over to see Harvey.

I ran out and grabbed some Chinese take out when we got home, and now we are relaxing with some wine and watching HGTV. I am hoping to get a decent amount of sleep tonight. We'll just have to wait and see what tomorrow holds.

Sending healing vines to all in need and hugs to all their beans. :bighug:

Shoeskitty-GA likes this.
  2. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

A long day. Take care of yourself. So glad that Harvey is getting such great care. Vines aplenty.

3. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Been watching all day for an update!!

He must be doing a lot better if they're moving him into a regular ward.....but I'm sure they don't want to sound too optimistic just yet until they're really sure he's on the mend for good

It's good that the electrolytes are stable! That was a big concern....now hopefully the transfusion will be the final big treatment.....If his RBC was low enough to require a transfusion, that's more than enough reason for him to be acting pretty puny.

Still sending those vines and prayers!! We'll get him home to his chair soon!!

4. Gussie's mom (GA)

Gussie's mom (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending vines, prayers, vibes, hugs, whatever you need that I can send..consider it done!:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

5. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Prayers and vines that this will tip the scales for Harvey and he will start perking up, and be able to come home soon. Poor little guy's gotta be tired of being in the hospital, even tho' it's the best place for him right now!Hugs for you, and please give Harvey some gentle scritches from me. :) :cat: :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

6. Suzi_S

Suzi_S Well-Known Member

Sending vines, hugs, everything needed to you and Harvey. Give him a love and scritch for me.
    I have a tens unit and I love it!! When I used to see the chiropractor my favorite part besides the massage after was when they would book me up to the electrical machine. My dh hated it, though.

7. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

That's good Harvey is in the regular ward. I hope the transfusion helps him get better and he gets over the infection soon. Sending prayers. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

I hope the tens unit helps.

8. suki & crystal (GA)

suki & crystal (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending vines to you and Mark, you must both be totally exhausted, mentally and physically. And of course mega vines to the patient, I hope he is soon back on the regular ward and then on his way home.:bighug::bighug::bighug:

What a wonderful vet in training Steven is turning out to be.

9. Shoeskitty-GA

Shoeskitty-GA Well-Known Member

It sounds like Harvey is improving if he is now in the Regular Ward! Good news!! Hope that the tens unit helps your back pain!! Continuing prayers for all!:bighug::bighug:

10. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Your story reminds me of when J.D. was hospitalized for so long with DKA. He went from Critical Care ICU to the Intermediate Ward and then finally to the regular ward. He had to have all kinds of stuff done to him, including two transfusions, and they said they gave him daily baths :nailbiting:
    I am keeping Harvey and you in my thoughts and hope he is ready to come home soon. Keep getting better, Harvey.:bighug:

11. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

Our prayers continue...hooray for moving to the regular ward!!

12. Judy and Boomer

Judy and Boomer Well-Known Member

Yahoo for a move to a regular ward! It sounds like you have some amazing vets taking care of Harvey!

13. AZJenks

AZJenks Well-Known Member

The regular ward is the last stop before home! Goooooo Harvey!

Kako & Tux likes this.
  14. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

Don't know how I missed this morning, have been sat here wondering how Harvey was.

Glad all went well with the procedures and that he is going to the regular ward.
    More vines and hugs:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

15. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

16. Madrona and Leda (GA)

Madrona and Leda (GA) Well-Known Member

Healing vines for Harvey, and nice restful sleep vines for you! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.