? 9/24 Post DKA Millie AMPS 443. Switching to ReliOn micro; nervous.

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Sylvia & Millie, Sep 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sylvia & Millie

Sylvia & Millie Member

Hi, Millie and I have been absent due to work & travel. Did get extra readings when I was home or asked caretaker to do so. Did a curve today; she will get an increase tonight.

I am finally switching to a ReliOn Micro meter as the AT was too expensive. What is the easiest way to educate myself with the new numbers? I'm especially concerned because of Millie's past DKA, I have to know how she's doing & read things correctly. I can be slow learning certain things.

Thanks for any advice!

2. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

It looks like she might be coming down from a bounce, so keep that in mind if you increase tonight.
    I think you'll just find that the numbers look slightly lower with the human meter compared to the pet meter.
    The best way to learn is lots of tests. You'll see. Good luck with the new dose.

Sylvia & Millie likes this.
  3. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

1. Re-read the protocol with the BG numbers in mind. The protocol was written using human meter measurements.
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/lantus-levemir-tight-regulation-protocol-tr.1581/

2. Have someone change your formulas on the SS to reflect hunan meter ranges (or set up a new sheet using the human meter formulas).

3. Switch to the human meter and don't look back and don't use both meters to test. Don't try and compare, it will drive you crazy.

Good luck :)

tiffmaxee, Sylvia & Millie and Dyana like this.
  4. Sylvia & Millie

Sylvia & Millie Member

I had thought she would come down, it's why I didn't increase sooner. She tends to bounce for a while so I don't do the increase after 6 cycles. I'm not done with the curve, so who knows.

Regarding the numbers, I just want to know what is considered low? With AT, 68 is when I was in strutted to post and start testing her every 15 minutes or so.

5. Sylvia & Millie

Sylvia & Millie Member

I was thinking of starting in a few days, this way I'll finish up the AT strips. I'll have time to learn and adjust to the new numbers and change Millie's SS.
    This will keep me from comparing as well, lol!

Thanks for the link, I'll reread.

LizzieInTexas likes this.
  6. Sylvia & Millie

Sylvia & Millie Member

@LizzieInTexas Hope everything was alright for you in Texas. I have family in Texas (outside of Houston), Florida AND Puerto Rico so it's been a bit crazy the last few weeks.

LizzieInTexas likes this.
  7. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Remember too, that the protocol was written for human meters. Your reduction point will now be 50. When you make the switch, just go with the new numbers and follow the protocol and you'll be just fine and a lot richer. LOL Yell if you need help.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  8. Sylvia & Millie

Sylvia & Millie Member

OK, sounds good!

Yes, will definitely have more pocket change. Hate to admit it but it did influence how much I wanted to test......I'm sure that happens to lot of people. I didn't switch sooner because I got used to the AT. I'm finally OK with it.

And I'll definitely yell, lol.

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  9. Bobbie And Bubba

Yep, you have to be comfortable with it. I think after you see how much you'll save in $$ you'll be even more comfy, LOL

10. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

Hi Sylvia, as others have already said 50 is the take action point when you switch to the relion/ human meter.

Whenyou make the switch, it would be a good idea to block our a line on the SS to highlight clearly that you are switching to a human meter. As Lizzie has already said it's also helpful if you change the formatting do that numbers will go lime green when Millie goes below 50(rather than below 68) it makes the SS easier to interpret, for anyone trying to help.

Just a thought, but I kept a spare(back up meter, and strips) George sent his meter for a dip in his drinking fountain one evening, which had me racing to the duty pharmacy:rolleyes:, after that I kept a back up.Keeping some AT strips as a back up for emergencies may be sensible (either that or have a second relion meter)

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  11. Sylvia & Millie

Sylvia & Millie Member

I'm sure you're right!

12. Sylvia & Millie

Sylvia & Millie Member

Hi,

Not sure I know what you mean by changing the format. Someone set up the SS for me. When I start the Relion meter, I'll make to note it on the spread sheet.

13. Sylvia & Millie

Sylvia & Millie Member

Great advice! Thanks.

14. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

It's just so the cells will automatically change to lime green when she goes below 50, in the AT as she goes lime green below 68, it may not seem important now but as you move forward it will. I'm not sure how you would go about changing the form, but if you can't figure it out, just holler and I'm sure someone can offer some guidance.

15. Sylvia & Millie

Sylvia & Millie Member

I'll backtrack and see who helped me set it up and see if they can reformat the SS. Thanks for the heads up!

Gill & George likes this.
  16. Bobbie And Bubba

Gill & George likes this.
  17. Sylvia & Millie

Sylvia & Millie Member

Yes, Marje and Gracie set it up for me. I'll contact and let her know when I'm about to change.

18. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

I can reformat it for you if @Marje and Gracie isn't available but I'd need permission to access it

19. Sylvia & Millie

Sylvia & Millie Member

Thank you, I'll keep that in mind!

20. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

I have lots of extra meter kits for the Arkray Gluococard 01 meter (which is the same as the Relion Confirm and takes the same strips as the Confirm (and the Relion Micro). If you send me a "coversation" with your mailing address, I'll send you one. (Walmart puts it's Relion brand name on the Arkray Glucocard 01.). I have all these kits because ADW offers a free Arkray Glucocard 01 kit with every order of 200 strips for the meter.

Good luck with the switch. You'll love using a human meter.

21. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

I’m around now so just PM me when you are ready and I’ll get a notification. It’s an easy switcheroo and I’m happy to do it for you. I already have editing rights.

Thanks, Chris. I’m back around a little more now and can do it whenever Sylvia is ready. :bighug:

22. Sylvia & Millie

Sylvia & Millie Member

Wow, thanks so much. Will connect with you via 'conversation'!

23. Sylvia & Millie

Sylvia & Millie Member

Great! I'll switch in the next day or so; will definitely reach out!

24. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Perfect!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.