9/25/18 Bailey AMPS: 315, Messed up fine dosing

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Rosie & Bailey, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Rosie & Bailey

Rosie & Bailey Well-Known Member

Hello everyone,

Condo: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...-296-6-236-9-183-pmps-118-1-162-2-292.203631/

Bailey was reduced to .25 units last week, but I messed up with the syringe and apparently have been giving .1 units instead, I believe. I was at that very first line on the U-100 syringe.

When I saw her numbers were so high, I read the Fine dosing sticky and realized my mistake. I gave her slightly more this morning, but not quite .25 I think. I will try to do better, but I'm just checking to see if anyone has any thoughts on this.

Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
  2. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

Are you using syringes with half unit markings? If not, please get some. Walmart carries them. You still have to eyeball the .25, but it's much easier than with the one unit markings.

I think you said you looked at this? Pictorial guide using a U-100 syringe marked with half units:

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Accuracy isn't as important as consistency. Decide where you think .25 is on your syringe and then try to draw the same amount every time. You can even draw up a dose with colored liquid and use it to compare to each time.

Let's see what Bailey does with this "new" dose.

Bellasmom likes this.
  3. Rosie & Bailey

Rosie & Bailey Well-Known Member

Yes, that is what I looked at. I know it was a stupid mistake, but luckily Bailey wasn't hurt.

I like the idea of practicing with a colored liquid. I will give that a try. I can see why consistency is important so I will practice now since her PMPS is in 30 minutes.

I am a bit disappointed that my vet's suggestions was to go back to .5 units once a day which was clearly not working for her before, so I am doubly thankful for the support in this group. Thank you so much for responding.