9/26 Grandpa - insulin input requested

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Beck and Philly, Sep 26, 2018.

1. Beck and Philly

Beck and Philly Well-Known Member

Yesterday

So, lately Grandpa has had some interesting responses to insulin. The vet isn't really surprised since his pancreas is compromised. Not long ago we were at 2.5u of Lantus and wondering about an increase when he had a pancreatitis flare and his numbers dropped low. He wasn't eating much and was really unpredictable. It seemed like no matter how small a dose we gave, he dropped low. We were down to .5u. We made a few vet visits and followed the advice (and our guts) not to shoot.

We were surprised to see that even when his numbers would creep up (still in blue), when we tested later they had gone back down so we kept holding off to see what his body would do. His appetite is hit or miss, so we haven't been as worried about carbs as long as he eats.

Today is the first day he's had yellow numbers so we need an insulin plan. We are wondering if Lantus is still the best choice since we have drained the depot with missed doses and BCS shots more than ideal. We still have a new vial of Vetsulin and u40 syringes if the shorter term insulin is a better choice. I like the more gentle nature of Lantus and the relative flexibility of Vetsulin.

Any thoughts?

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
  2. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

It looks to me like he’s finally emptied his s0.5u depot and he’s telling you that he needs “some” insulin but he needs less than 0.5u.

When you reduce a dose or stop insulin when you haven’t gradually taken it down to a drop or 0.1u, then you are going to see residual depot action for up to six cycles.

The lowest number on the AT that you show for him is 74 and, under SLGS, you would then reduce to s0.25u.

My suggestion is you start him back on 0.25u of lantus bid and see how he does. Remember he will need to refill his depot so you may or may not see good numbers right away.

3. Beck and Philly

Beck and Philly Well-Known Member

Thanks, 0.25 was what my gut was telling me as well.

Marje and Gracie likes this.
  4. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

You’re welcome!! Good luck!!!

5. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

Beck , please give sweet Grandpa extra scritches and hugs from me tonight ❤️