9-26 Tiffany AMPS 162, +4 232 Not feeling great today

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Jadi & Tiffany, Sep 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jadi & Tiffany

Jadi & Tiffany Member

Hi Everyone,

Even though we had a blue number this morning, Tiffany was waking me up at 4:00 a.m. wanting to eat breakfast...she had a ravenous appetite. She had her dose of Cabergoline late morning and is definitely NOT her purry self today. Her eyes are red and she is cranky. Do you think she may be starting to feel side effects from the Cabergoline?

I do have Bupe and Canne pet, but do not like to give them to her unless I am at home, which I am not for part of today. Hate drugging her, but I may try the Canne pet. Any advice?

Have a nice day everyone!

Thank you,

Jadi & Tiffany

2. Doodles & Karen

Doodles & Karen Well-Known Member

I'm sorry she's not feeling good. Might give a call to the vetty or see any of the other carbergoline uses have advise to give. Sending feel better vines and prayers.

3. Jadi & Tiffany

Jadi & Tiffany Member

While I love my vet and her willingness to try Cabergoline, Tiffany is her first Acro patient ever. (Advice from this board more often has proved to be spot on.) Thank you so much for your prayers, Karen.

Doodles & Karen likes this.
  4. Doodles & Karen

Doodles & Karen Well-Known Member

I might add "carbergoline ?" in your title.

5. Beenie (GA)

Beenie (GA) Well-Known Member

Hmm I'm sorry she's feeling crappy today. Not sure about the symptoms you describe. So far Beenie hasn't had any side effects that I can tell. Perhaps some of the other Cabergoline users can chime in and our resident Acro guru Wendy. Hope she feels better soon:bighug:
    @Bronx's dad , @Adrian and Chino , @Wendy&Neko , @Marvin's Mom - Nat

6. Beenie (GA)

Here's some of the side effects per Chris from RVC. This is from an email to @Bronx's dad this February 2017-

The main possible side effects of cabergoline are gastrointestinal (diarrhea, vomiting or reduced appetite), other side effects include increased insulin sensitivity and risk of low blood glucose if insulin is given without appropriate monitoring, ,mild sedation, and rare cases of excitability, fine muscle tremors and seizures have been reported, abortion in pregnant cats and dogs (the drug should not be handled by pregnant women), very rare cases of allergic reactions have occurred, such as swelling of the face or limbs, skin reddening and itching.

Below is what Chris indicated to me end of August via email-

Just be aware of some of the possible drug side effects – the most common is reduced appetite, it could also cause diarrhea, in dogs they notice a colour change of their hair, it is possible it could cause sedation or hyperexcitability. Also, if the drug is not successful, I would gradually wean off the medication over two to three weeks because there is a condition in humans called dopamine agonist withdrawal syndrome. I have not seen this syndrome in the cats which have discontinued the medication here but it is worth erring on the side of caution.

7. Jadi & Tiffany

Jadi & Tiffany Member

Thank you!

8. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Do you have any anti nausea meds at home? Cerenia or ondansetron?

9. Jadi & Tiffany

Jadi & Tiffany Member

Yes, I have Cerenia. I did decide to work from home this afternoon and she seems better. Her BG's are actually on the downside from what they have been. I did give her Canna-pet to see if that helps. (This is only the second time I have tried that..so hard to tell.) She is purring, eating and now sunning on the deck, so things are looking up. Thanks again, Wendy.

Tracey&Jones (GA) and Wendy&Neko like this.
  10. Marvin's Mom - Nat

Marvin's Mom - Nat Well-Known Member

Marvin didn't really have any side effects. His appetite was not great, but it was on and off before the cabergoline. His appy is great now, eats like he should. Every since his numbers have been better, his appetite has become normal.

11. Jadi & Tiffany

Jadi & Tiffany Member

Thanks Nat. Just looked at Marvin's spreadsheet again for inspiration.

Marvin's Mom - Nat likes this.
  12. Beenie (GA)

Side effects aside, if all is well I would give Cabergoline a real chance to do it's thing;). @Wendy&Neko post a study here where it is a viable treatment option.:bookworm: It doesn't happen overnight and for some not at all but there is a very good chance for at least a reduction in insulin needs. That's huge:woot:. I so would love to have the same results as Marvin but I really would love anything to "help" slow things down with the tumor. I feel that if the growth hormone output is reduced then that is 1 for team Beenie.

I'm glad Tiffany is felling better and sunning herself! :bighug:

Marvin's Mom - Nat likes this.
  13. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

Does she have allergies? I know I am dying with them right now and am wondering if that might be an issue with my Gizmo right now.

Glad she is feeling better. I live Canna.

14. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

The only side affect we experienced with the Cabergoline was that Bronx was less hungry.
    Hope Tiffany feels better soon:bighug:

15. Jadi & Tiffany

Jadi & Tiffany Member

Thank you!

16. Jadi & Tiffany

Jadi & Tiffany Member

That could be a possibility! Hope you and Gizmo feel better too.

LizzieInTexas likes this.
  17. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

You asked about how reductions are earned in Chino's condo today. The answers you were given are for peeps who are using TR for dosing, which Adrian is. If there are days you can't get those mid cycle tests, then you should be following the Start Low Go Slow method for dosing. In that case reductions are earned if the dose takes Jadi below 90. Basically if a dose takes her too low, it's too much insulin, so a reduction is needed. Hopefully you'll see that one day soon.

18. Jadi & Tiffany

Jadi & Tiffany Member

Hi Wendy,
    S.O.S. I think I totally blew it tonight and forgot to give Tiff her shot tonight!!! I have been so good about testing today. I just did the PM test and realized that I completely forgot!!! What do I do now??? It is 9:13 p.m. here and she was supposed to have it at 5:45 p.m. She is still holding at 165.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.