? 9/6 Cameron AMPS 306, +1 136, +2 328, +4 255, +6.5 280, +9 242

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Leah, Sep 6, 2018.

1. Leah

Leah Member

I feel like a total bad sugar cat parent. Cameron started Lantus a week ago and I had every intention of spending the full week at the starting dose (increasing today). But, he's been peeing 1-7 times per day outside the LB for over a month now, and he's been solidly in the high 100s and 200s, so yesterday i said heck with it and bumped him up .25 to 1u at his AM shot.

So of course he gave me a heart attack at his PM +3. I stayed up till midnight when he started rising, and then DH kept an eye on him for a few hours (he sucks at testing, but knows what to look for with hypo).

Am i freaking out over nothing? Is this just how it is and I'll get used to those numbers eventually? I look at old-timers SS, and see a sea of green & blue and holy cow nobody is freaking out ;)

I still gave him the 1u this morning, which i know is contraindicated on SLGS, but I'm home all day to monitor and test. If he drops lower again, should i skinny the dose? Should i switch to the TR method?

2. Leah

Leah Member

I just did a +2 and he's shot back up to 328 (immediately poked another spot and checked, 351).

3. Leah

Leah Member

Oh, but of course that is likely food related. Duh me!

4. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Mandy & Rex (GA) Well-Known Member

You can keep the dose at 1u if you want to try and bring down all the other numbers down. But if you see a number below 90 again, you must decrease to 0.75u for safety reasons. What prompted you to choose SLGS? You monitor enough and it looks like you feed only wet food so you could follow TR, which has a different cut-off number.

5. Leah

Leah Member

I have no idea why i chose it. I think i had it in my head as going hand in hand with the whole 'treating diabetes is a marathon not a sprint' and it would be safer, etc. But thinking more about it, with me not working right now i should just go for TR.

6. Mandy & Rex (GA)

If you do want to go with TR, go for it! I went with SLGS at first then switched to TR after 2 weeks because I was too impatient. With TR, you will shoot anything above 50, but do ask for advice before shooting when it's a lower number than you have shot before. Good luck!

Leah likes this.
  7. Leah

Leah Member

Thanks! I'll reread the TR stickies.

I'm going to get a +4 and skip the normal +3, to give him a little break ;) he's loving the extra treats but he only has one pokeable ear!

8. Leah

Leah Member

+4 255, he's coming down again but not too quickly, so yay ;) I'm going to grab a +6, +9, and then a +11.

Oh crud. I just remembered I have a town hall tonight from 6-7:30. I might be able to duck out early, but I likely won't be home till 8pm. I can have DH try to test (he's really hopeless at it, but is great with shots) at 7 and stay with the normal times (7/7) but if he can't get the test I could shoot at 8. Which would act as a reduction, right? So that's not super bad, I can work that time backwards with no problem.

9. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Let's wait and see what he does the rest of the cycle. :)

Leah likes this.
  10. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Have your DH try and do the +11 with you so he has some practice before you leave. If he does get a test at PMPS and it's in the 200's, then he can shoot 1u. Good luck!

Leah likes this.
  11. Leah

Leah Member

I ended up canceling and stayed home - hot mess of an 11 year old middle schooler takes precedence!

So, Cam was at 269 at PMPS. Gave him the 1u and he ate a good dinner. Other than that one blue blip he was pretty flat today

Mandy & Rex (GA) likes this.