9/8/15 Lucy AMPS +85 +3 101 +6 113 AMPS 239 +8 130 +10 128

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Voula, Aug 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Voula

Voula Well-Known Member

I had decided that I would increase Lucy's insulin dose this weekend but I didn't because I wasn't sure if I could monitor enough yesterday so we stayed at 2 units. We had two excellent cycles yesterday and this morning's AMBG feels too low to dose though I know I could as it is over 2.8/50. I am not comfortable dosing in the 50's given meter variance and a dropping AMBG though I know we can dose a dropping AMPS. The lowest I have dosed at is 76. If I dosed at 56 we would likely earn a reduction but I also worry we might get a too low reading. I have been reflecting on the recent thought provoking post to the board about how low is too low and after reading some of the scientific literature on this topic I have been reflecting on what glucose levels I am comfortable with and regulation versus tight regulation and so on. My decision to delay the dose was also strengthened because Lucy seemed hungrier than usual given that she ate three hours before and she acted like she does when her glucose level has been under 2.8/50 so I started thinking of meter variance and decided with an AMBG of 3.1/56 to delay the dose and the change in dosing schedule suits us so that is not an issue. My Lucy seems well and happy and that is the most important thing regardless of numbers on a spreadsheet though good glucose levels are clearly important too.
    My previous post:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/increasing-dose-again.141364/#post-1459377

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

When are your shot times Voula, as it is after 2 pm here in Aus. I think I remember you saying you were up late and watching the tennis and your shot time was soon??
    That was an interesting post on how low is too low..

3. Voula

Voula Well-Known Member

Hi Bron. I just gave Lucy her insulin just after 2.00 pm. It suits me because of some appointments this week it means I would have had to delay the already late morning dose by quite a few hours so better to do two doses at a few hours over I have found than one dose delayed by four or more hours as then it seems it takes a few doses to get back on track again. I am expecting a bounce in the numbers in any case but hopefully it will be brief like the last few bounces have been.

4. Voula

Voula Well-Known Member

It is interesting that I have fed small amount of some higher carb food the past few days plus a little honey on Friday so I could go out with more peace of mind and I find it interesting that the bounces have not lasted as long and I thought of you Bron giving Sheba honey to control the bounces. I have sometimes wondered whether a little higher carb food strategically fed might be useful for us too. The post about how low is too low was very thought provoking I agree. Thank you for your reply Bron. @Bron and Sheba

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  5. Voula

Voula Well-Known Member

I expected a bounce but I am happy it was a short bounce.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.