9/8 Grandpa +16 93, +18 100, +19 89, +23 150, +24 (PMPS) 240, +2 242

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Beck and Philly, Sep 8, 2018.

1. Beck and Philly

Beck and Philly Well-Known Member

Yesterday

Lowest day yesterday with one dip below AT action number. I thought he'd hit a low and come up into blues by now, but it hasn't happened. He doesn't want breakfast. I'm thinking we should skip, but not sure.

Thoughts?

When we do shoot, does the 66 mean his regular dose drops from 2 25 to 2?

Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
  2. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

No shot advice, Beck , but big appy vines and prayers coming Grandpa’s way :bighug: Give him hugs and scritches from me and let him know his fan club has his and your back ❤️

Beck and Philly likes this.
  3. Beck and Philly

We stalled an hour and dropped to 62. Now we are going to just concentrate on getting food in him.

4. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

C'mon Grandpa eat up.

5. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Mandy & Rex (GA) Well-Known Member

Yes, next time you shot, it will be 2u. Congratulations! :D

Now, Grandpa, eat up!

6. Beck and Philly

He's really not feeling well today. I'm trying to stay optimistic, but he's worrying me. He'll lick at a little gravy on food, but doesn't even want his S&C nuggets. His BG isn't coming up, but thank goodness it's staying pretty steady.

7. Beth 73

:bighug: ❤️:bighug:❤️ Sending more love and prayers to you both, Beck :bighug:

8. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

9. Pamela & Amethyst

Pamela & Amethyst Well-Known Member

10. Carol in Chicago

Carol in Chicago Member

Time to get creative... Do you have any more pizza? Seriously, any thing that might be interesting could "prime the pump".

Hope he feels better soon! :bighug:

PussCatPrince - GA likes this.
  11. Beth 73

Beck , could you syringe a tiny bit of baby food or other normally favorite food ??? Like Carol said, prime the pump ? Sending appy prayers :bighug:❤️

12. Beck and Philly

Yes. He ate some of the sausage from the leftover pizza earlier. My roommate went out and got a rotisserie chicken and he ate what she said would have made about a meatball sized portion. I'm writing this from the pet food store parking lot. I just bought every flavor of Fussie Cat in gravy since he ate that overnight which is what kept him from hypo I'm heading into the grocery store now. I'll get some baby food.

13. Beth 73

You are the best , Beck ❤️❤️❤️ Chow down , Grandpa !!!:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

14. Kris & Teasel

Sending good appetite vines to Grandpa. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

15. Beck and Philly

He's up to around 150. We shot that number yesterday, but he's only picking at food today. I hate to skip two shots, but we don't want to make things worse.

Very strong smelling urine and peed on the rug, something he only does when he feels bad.

Any thoughts?

16. Carol in Chicago

Carol in Chicago Member

Looks like your recent BCS dose is 1.5. That is what I would do because appy is iffy.

17. Beck and Philly

Perfect. We were just thinking of shooting 1 or 1.5. Thank you!

LizzieInTexas likes this.
  18. Kris & Teasel

Sometimes a UTI will cause strong smelling urine. Just a thought ...

Beth 73 likes this.
  19. Beck and Philly

That's worth looking into.

20. Beth 73

Just googled what Kris suggested and it’s first possibility that comes up .If UTI could also explain feeling crummy and loss of appy .

21. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

I’d like to throw in a few general thoughts. First, I hope he starts to feel better and eat.

I believe I understand that you fed him while you were stalling this morning just because he hasn’t been eating?

“Normally”, if you got a shootable number like 71 (AT), if you are new to shooting low and there are members around who can help you, you have supplies, and you are able and available to test/feed, you would want to shoot so that stalling further does not result in the number becoming so low that you are forced to skip. If he was eating, you could have then fed that 71 with a MC food, if you felt you needed to, as you shot so that he didn’t drop any lower. Again...this is for future reference since he’s a bit off his food.

Also, I just want to be clear in case any lurkers read this and don’t understand that you were skipping this morning, but we don’t want to feed to get the numbers up high enough to shoot because then you are shooting a number that will potentially come down really low.

Could you do us a huge favor please and start showing the numbers in your condo subject line in hours since the last shot instead of your local time? Your local time doesn’t tell me anything but if I see a +18 number, for example, I know you had to skip a shot. Thank you...we really appreciate it. There are many reasons why we do it that way.

More eating vines, Grandpa.

22. Beck and Philly

Sure. I'll do my subject line in hours even if we skip a shot.

I was afraid to shoot this morning since I tried feeding through the night and even if he ate and temporarily had a higher number, it dropped again. His normal shot time is 8 AM. I fed him at 6 AM so he would have two hours before his AMPS to give us a non-food influenced reading just in case we had a shootable number. At 8, my roommate offered breakfast and he refused. We hoped his numbers would rise on their own despite no food, but he had dropped to 62 AT by 9 AM. Since we didn't see his numbers coming up on their own, we boosted him with sausage and anything he would eat. Even though that boosted him to 106, we decided not to shoot because based on the way the night had gone, we were afraid the food high would wear off quickly and he would be low again.

So that's how it's gone all day. He would eat a bite or two or lick gravy. He spent much of the day around 90. Now he is at 240 and we are an hour after his normal shot time. He has no interest in food, so we're thinking 1.5u, but as his numbers rise we become more confused.

He seems nauseous and bloated. It could be the cancer, it could be worms again, it could be constipation, or a number of other things. He's so compromised, it's tough to know.

He has had two Convenia shots over the past few weeks and today was day 10 of Baytril tablets. Would a UTI still be a concern after that much antibiotic?

23. Beth 73

Sending more love, prayers of healing for sweet Grandpa and extra wisdom for you , Beck, as you decipher what Grandpa needs . You are AMAZING in your care and determination to love and provide for him and he knows it . What a blessed kitty Grandpa is to have you :bighug:

24. Jill & Scooter

Jill & Scooter Well-Known Member

Prayers that Grandpa feels better! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

25. Beck and Philly

Thanks all. He drank all the gravy from a Friskies Gravy Lovers just now and is 242 after his BCS shot of 1.5. Still not eating much, but the gravy should help. We gave him fluids, Cerenia, and bupe.

Going to get some sleep.

26. Phoebes (GA)

Phoebes (GA) Well-Known Member

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:I'm in the not eating great boat with you! So wish they could talk. You've done great momma bean. Sleep well.

Beck and Philly and Beth 73 like this.
  27. Beth 73

Goodest of nights, Grandpa :bighug: Sleep deep, Beck :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

28. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Thank you and I appreciate the info on feeding/skipping as it confirmed what I thought.

I doubt Convenia would do much to address a UTI but the baytril should.

29. Beck and Philly

Here's to an appetite- happy day for us both!

Kris & Teasel likes this.