9/8 Gussie PMPS 120,+2 115,+3 99,+4 97,+5 93,+6 90,+7 104

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Gussie's mom (GA), Sep 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gussie's mom (GA)

Gussie's mom (GA) Well-Known Member

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/9-7-gussie-pmps-124-2-86-3-70-5-88.164507/
    Good morning all! Gussie threw up some stomache juice this morning, guessing there is a hair ball lurking ready to make its way on outta him!
    AMPS 120 this morning..hoping he continues to like this dose since I understand he can stay on it indefinitely? It's one that works for now!
    Big safe cycle hugs to you all this morning:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:
    As they said at the end of roll call on Hill Street Blues, let's be safe out there! :bighug::bighug:

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  2. DebG

DebG Well-Known Member

I found probiotics really help Fritz. Renew Life Ultimate. Does Gus take Probiotics? I found a good article on hairballs. Hopefully this will help Gus!
    Hairballs: How Best to Manage Them
    in a review of 100 cats presenting with

• frequent vomiting, or vomiting a hairball more than once every two months, and/or
    • chronic small bowel diarrhea,
    • some weight loss, or a combination of these

that 99 of those 100 cats had either Inflammatory Bowel Disease (“chronic enteritis”) or cancer. The retrospective case history was expanded to 300 cats, results published in 2015. Unfortunately, study results were substantially similar. So no, hairballs are not normal.

Hairballs are a sign that the stomach is not emptying properly. This can happen for many reasons, and a frequent one is the food we feed our cats and/or how we feed our cats (free-feeding). Inappropriate ingredients and/or free-feeding can contribute to the development of hairballs. Carbohydrates impact motility. Fiber slows transit. Indigestible solids are the last thing to leave the stomach, and without the strong peristaltic waves created by hunger pangs, many cats do not completely pass the hair out of their stomachs. This hair gets bound up by fats kitty eats - and yep, the result is a stinky gloppy hairball. Switching to timed meals from free-feeding is an important part of hairball prevention - but addressing motility with food appropriate for cats is extremely important for long term health. Many recommend a grain-free, wet-food only diet. Sure, this will help some cats. Of course, a truly species-appropriate balanced diet made with fresh, minimally-processed food you make at home is best (and EZcomplete fur Cats enables you to do this worry-free!). Many cats transition to homemade and go through a few days of vomiting hairballs. It's distressing, but it's also eye-opening. Who knows how long those were brewing? Many of these same cats often see their hairball problems resolve once fully transitioned to raw food. Those are the lucky ones, the kitties whose gastrointestinal (GI) systems were not damaged by feeding commercial food (usually a food with grains or high in carbohydrates, even if labeled "grain free," before we knew better about our cats’ needs). The switch to raw for others uncovers that damage, and getting past serious hairball problems can be a challenge. Some cats’ systems will heal with time, others may need life-long support to prevent hairballs.

Traditional hairball treatments leave a lot to be desired. At Food Fur Life we believe in addressing the underlying problem, not the symptom. Most hairball products contain petroleum jelly and/or mineral oil. They help lubricate hair through the system, but they do not address the underlying problem. A problem that we now know definitively - thanks to the work of Dr. Norsworthy and colleagues - is one of motility. For preventing those impaired GI systems from creating hairballs, there are much better choices than indigestible grease. Petroleum jelly and mineral oil-based products are not healthy long term solutions for obvious reasons. More importantly, they do not address any aspect of the underlying problem. That said, in a hairball crisis when a hairball is blocking the pylorus (which then prevents food from leaving the stomach) petroleum jelly is an important tool. This is explained below.

And while fiber can aid intestinal motility (an underlying problem in many GI diseases), unless your kitty has lasting GI impairment, the problem with fiber is that it bulks the stool. Cats eating a natural diet do not have bulky (or smelly) stool. Bulky stool can, over time, impact muscle tone of the colon, reducing elasticity and making passing stool more difficult. A cat’s natural diet contains almost no plant fibers, so physiologically it just makes sense that long term use may have an unwanted consequence. Fiber can be an important tool for short-term use, but long term, it is always best to treat our cats as the obligate carnivores they are. And there is a species-appropriate (animal-based) solution. Egg yolks and egg yolk lecithin are – in our opinion – the best long term choices for managing GI motility problems that create hairballs in our cats.
    EZcomplete fur Cats does contains yolk, but even in our own cats, additional yolk is sometimes needed, especially if there was already IBD or a compromised GI tract. If your kitty is having a problem with hairballs, consider making dried, powdered egg yolk, it's easier to give in measured amounts. Many cats that aren't fans of raw yolk love it dried, and being more concentrated, experience indicates it is more effective. Instructions are here: How to Make Dried Egg Yolk Powder. It the addition of yolk alone doesn't resolve the problem, or if yolk causes soft stool consider using or including egg yolk lecithin to help keep hairballs at bay. The egg yolk lecithin emulsifies the fat binding the hair into a hairball. Again, this works on a preventative basis, not for tightly formed existing hairballs.

For kitties with “more difficult” hairball problems, an egg yolk lecithin supplement may be needed. If using an egg yolk lecithin supplement, start small and work up as needed. Introduce just 1/4 capsule (or less). Work up to ½ capsule sprinkled onto or mixed into food every-other-day. Keep an eye on the litter box: unfortunately some cats may develop diarrhea before a completely effective dose is reached. For this author, 2 full capsules daily were needed for her kitties with the worst hairball problems (during shedding seasons). The effective maintenance dose needed during the shedding seasons will be higher than off-season. The “difficult hairball kitties” in our home required only ½ capsule daily off-season for their first few years on raw. Now they need none off-season. Raw fed cats do heal, and their hairball problems generally become less severe with time.

A note of caution: in addition to improving GI motility, acetylcholine also increases GI secretions. This may exacerbate ulcers if your kitty has or is prone to developing them. It is always best to discuss diet and supplements with your vet (especially if you have a mutually respectful relationship built on trust and your vet is open-minded).
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A Hairball Crisis?

One of the main symptoms of a hairball or hairballs is vomiting undigested food up to many hours after eating. If you have any reason to believe your cat may have ingested a foreign object (such as a toy or other dangerous, indigestible object), please get your cat to a vet as soon as possible, that can be a life-threatening emergency. The primary difference between a hairball blocking the pylorus and preventing food from emptying from the stomach and the ingestion of a foreign object causing a surgical emergency is behavior. Most cats with hairballs will vomit, and may be a bit nauseous at times, but otherwise their behavior is generally completely normal, and they are often hungry immediately after vomiting. If your cat has thrown up undigested (or mostly undigested food) a little while after eating (especially if it has been hours after eating), has been otherwise acting normally, and then is hungry after throwing up - this is often a hairball preventing food from leaving the stomach. (If kitty regurgitates the meal immediately after eating, especially if there has been some time between meals or it is the first meal of the morning, consider the problem may be due to acid, and see our article, My Cat is Vomting, What Do I Do?) But when a hairball is blocking the stomach from emptying, plain, unscented, 100% pure petroleum jelly is the quickest, most effective treatment. Pharmaceutical grade is even better. The thinking behind the commercial hairball aid supplements and treats that use petroleum jelly is that it lubricates the hairball to help push it through the GI tract and out - but petroleum is not something we want our cats to ingest all the time! When there is a "hairball emergency," yes, a few doses of petroleum jelly will help far more than it will hurt. They do not digest or metabolize it, so you may see soft stools when you need to use it.

To get it into your cat, it is helpful to put the petroleum jelly in the fridge prior to use. The firmer texture makes it easier to get into your cat (though we do find they more readily eat the pharmaceutical grade). Some cats will lick it off their paws if you swipe a short ribbon onto their paw. Many will just fling it off. You may have to scoop a small blob onto your finger and swipe it into your cat’s mouth (1CC – 2CC). Swipe it in at the back corner, towards the roof of the mouth, and hold your cat’s head up, pushing up gently under the chin to help your cat swallow the stuff rather than spit it out (though some cats like it and will just eat it). Petroleum jelly should be given once or twice a day (during a hairball crisis ONLY) and is usually needed only for one to three days. Petroleum jelly does interfere with nutrient absorption, so please do not use this for more than a few days. If short term use does not see an improvement in the vomiting, please get kitty to the vet.

For other hairball management tips or questions, you’ll find excellent help and support in a group that helps cats with impaired GI motility, the Facebook group Raw Feeding for IBD Cats (formed by the Owners of Food Fur Life).

Disclaimer
    The information provided through our www.foodfurlife.com website is informational and educational. We are here to help make feeding a properly balanced homemade diet to your pet simple and to provide guidance for some of the problems that can crop up when transitioning your pets to a new food. But please be advised, we are not veterinarians. Food Fur Life LLC will not be held responsible for any adverse reactions your pet might experience based on the information on our website, nor can Food Fur Life LLC be held responsible for any problems due to using our product in any manner other than as directed. The health of your pet is 100% in your hands. We expect you to use your knowledge of your pet and your circumstances to determine, with the knowledge and input of your trusted veterinarian, whether any advice provided on this site is appropriate for your pet.
    Food Fur Life, LLC
    - See more at: http://www.foodfurlife.com/best-manage-hairballs.html#sthash.NzZUOJd8.dpuf
    Nice blue start.:cool:

3. Gussie's mom (GA)

Thank you! Very useful info! No probiotics currently, have some fortiflora but afraid to give it since formula change. Will read this when I get home tonite and take a trip to the store!

4. Gussie's mom (GA)

Kind of a steep slide this morning, +2 73 down from 120 amps. Not unusual for him but will try to get back in for his +3-4 as that's where his nadir usually is showing its head.
    Sending myself safe surf vines!:nailbiting:

5. Madrona and Leda (GA)

Madrona and Leda (GA) Well-Known Member

Surf safely Gussie! Leda also likes to hit the water at a run, but settles into surfing quickly--for me the early onset and nadir is easier to deal with since I don't have to stay up as late to monitor. Gussie's looking great on this dose :cat:

6. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Nice numbers for Gussie. I hope he surfs safely today.

7. Gussie's mom (GA)

Agree! Early is better for sleep! :cat::bighug:

Madrona and Leda (GA) likes this.
  8. Kathy and TiTi

Kathy and TiTi Well-Known Member

:stop:Slooooow down, ya' move too fast
    You need to made the moment laahaast!:stop:

Shoeskitty-GA likes this.
  9. Gussie's mom (GA)

Love that song!!:bighug::bighug: Grew up in the Bay Area and it's a def fixture in my memory!:p:joyful::smuggrin::D:cool::)

Kathy and TiTi likes this.
  10. Marilyn and Polly

Marilyn and Polly Well-Known Member

I do believe Gussie likes this dose! Sweet surfing.

Marilyn and Polly

Gussie's mom (GA) likes this.
  11. Mandarin'sMom

Mandarin'sMom Well-Known Member

Another fabulous surf for Gussie! :D

12. Laura and Gremlin (GA)

Laura and Gremlin (GA) Well-Known Member

Nice surfing Gus! Keep up the good work. Woop woop! Hopefully he keeps his belly settled.

Hi Deb,
    Is that the name of the probiotics you give to Fritz? I've suspected for a long time that Gremlin has IBD and I've been wanting to put him on probiotics. I'm in Australia though so finding diabetic safe, cost effective, decent probiotics available here has been a struggle. And also figuring out what dose to give. I try to gather any and all info I can! Think I might give egg yolk a try. He'll eat it straight from the egg.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  13. Gussie's mom (GA)

Interesting +2, no real drop. He did snarf the rest of civvie Lola's supper (raw) about a half hr-40 min before the test....could that have bumped him up??
    ETA: I didn't smell insulin but he was fussy about shot time again so shot in scruff area, maybe a wonky shot?

14. Gussie's mom (GA)

Still running a very flat cycle..

15. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with that!!

Mama can actually go to bed at a reasonable hour!

16. Gussie's mom (GA)

Sounds good to me!:cat::)

17. Gussie's mom (GA)

Question, will at some point his body decide this is too much insulin and he will do some out if the blue drop I'm not expecting? Just trying to file away what the next change might look like..

18. Chris & China (GA)

There's no way to know for sure when a cat might decide to do something silly, but generally, that +2 is a good "early warning" that it might be a cycle you want to keep your eyes on

If it's lower than the PS, best to plan on getting more tests in later in the cycle

19. Gussie's mom (GA)

The funny thing about him is he tends to do an early drop, usually at +2 or 3 and then surfs along on this dose, ticking up usually around +5
    Early nadir cat?

20. Chris & China (GA)

it's possible, but that's a really early nadir

21. Gussie's mom (GA)

Yeah I thought so too but at least on this dose that is what I think I am seeing?

22. Gussie's mom (GA)

Btw Titi is swimming with the Sharks...

23. Gussie's mom (GA)

So does this pancake cycle mean that he will be busy tomorrow when I am at work?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.