9/8 punkin's caturday report

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by julie & punkin (ga), Sep 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

last condo 8/17

today:
    amps 270
    +3 268
    +7 233
    pmps 214

hello Lantus Land!

mr punkin has been running high lately - today was all flat yellows. he does seem to be well, however, and over the pancreatitis. i'm please to report he is back into the Clean Plate Club and making sure miss anya is getting there too! Inspector Poo will be happy to know that mr punkin is back in Normal Land in the litter box department!

DH and I have realized that this month marks one year since his SRT. who would've thought we'd still be here after a year!? not us, that's for sure. he had a great start in reductions after the treatment that i thought he was going to be OTJ in a month or two . . . disappointing, yes, but i'm just so grateful we have the little-expensive-doesn't-want-to-be-held furball!

i've gone back to work to support mr punkin in the lifestyle that he needs. for the past 2 weeks i haven't been able to get home to check him until at least +7, and sometimes no one could check him so we let him drift a tad higher for safety's sake. now my "lunch" is at +4, which is perfect for me to get check him and i'm back home from work at +7. The happy little vending machine (timed feeder) can keep him safe after i check him at +4, so we're going to push his numbers back down.

he's getting Xobaline to see if it improves his hind leg strength (no change yet after a couple of weeks), sub-q fluids a couple of times a week because of his kidneys, cosequin to help his arthritis, sub-q bupe twice a day for pain from the acro - honestly, i can't tell that any of it makes a difference, but he seems like he's feeling ok, so maybe it does. we march on. oh yeah, and Vit B-12 in the fluids once a week for a while to help him through the pancreatitis.

i have a new "habit." hehehe - i bought a 1961 Singer Rocketeer like mine for my youngest daughter about 3 weeks ago (at her request), which led me to Craigslist, which turned up a 1927 black singer sewing machine that i bought mostly cuz it was dirt cheap and i kinda felt sorry for the lady after i went to see it. got it home, cleaned it up and it's freaking GORGEOUS! then i took my grandma's 1917 treadle sewing machine in to get tuned up . . . and i've been lost in the depths of obsession since then. :D if ya give a mouse a cookie . . . :lol: it's amazing what one can find online!!! what did we ever do before the interwebs!?

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Hi Julie, :YMHUG: :YMHUG:

I'm happy to see a Punkin report and hear that he is over the pancreatitis. His CPC status is very important to all of us. It's hard to believe it's been a year since SRT for Punkin. Dr. Timian did say it can take up to a year and a half for kitties to go OTJ, but as long as he is happy, has great quality of life and on less insulin than before SRT, that's the most important thing. Without SRT his insulin needs would probably be through the roof by now.

Good luck on the school job - nice to hear you can work around Punkin's schedule as well. You must work fairly close to home. Do you have a separate room for all those sewing machines? I love the look of the older and treadle sewing machines. What fun!

3. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

at the moment the treadle is on the dining room table because i sent the cabinet and base out to be refinished, the 1927 is in a cabinet between the dining room and the kitchen, the Rocketeer is on a table between the dining room and the living room, my mom's Pfaff that's going to my oldest daughter and the new Rocketeer for the youngest daughter are downstairs in the sewing area of our family room.

now you would think i could move all the machines downstairs, but i like being upstairs where it's lighter - so here they are. nice and close to the action in the house! :lol:

yes, he was at 15.5u when we did the SRT and is at 8.75u now. i am super glad we did it, even if it never takes him OTJ. it's ok, at least it stopped the damage and the dose increases. no regrets.

4. Anne & Zener GA

Anne & Zener GA Well-Known Member

Woohoo!!! Detective Poo is very happy to see that punkin's good in and out reports - back in the CPC in good standing AND helping Anya with her membership requirements. :D :lol: :lol: I did see on your spreadsheet a couple of days ago that he was back to normal in every way which I was very happy about. I'm glad you like your new/old sewing machines. No interest on my part - too much trauma from 4-H sewing. :lol: :lol:
    Liz

5. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

Nice to see a Punkin report! 8.75 is much better than 15.5! Glad to hear he is feeling so much better too.

How do you tell how old a Singer is? I have my grandmother's old machine (in a bentwood case) but no idea how old it is.

6. tortie58

tortie58 Well-Known Member

Hi Julie! Glad to see Punkin's getting better. As long as they are healthy & happy, we are happy!
    I remembered you were always asking me what's my goal for Rosy when I was here back in March. I was unable to tell you because I was thinking; what else? Of course to get off the juice! Now, I just want all our kitties to be healthy & happy. :YMHUG:

7. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

So great to hear such a super Punkin report. Hard to believe it has been a year. I do know you were hoping for so much more in terms foe results but it's not over.....you still have more time according to the docs, right? Isn't it that you can see changes in up to 19 months or did I dream that?

Wow on the sewing machines! Hugs!

8. Michelle and Mannie (GA)

Michelle and Mannie (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Julie - WOO HOO! A Punkin report! Very cool that he is over his pancreatitis. Good news. As long as they are happy furry purry kitties, all is well. And has it really been a year since SRT? Where does the time go.... I still remember his journey there, and that one photo of him and Anya looking through the car windows. :D Very cool on the sewing machines - what a fun hobby.

Have a great one - it is good to hear from you.

9. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

Nice Punkin report :D

My Mom still has this ancient industrial Singer sewing machine that is built into a green table. I remember growing up watching my great aunt and my Mom make clothes using that old machine. It was a loud machine. I don't know if it still works. Mom hasn't used it in at least 20 years.

Ann, there's probably a history of Singer sewing machines online somewhere.

10. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

Hi guys! So good to see a condo from you! Glad to hear punkin is feeling good these days .. it sounds like you are doing everything you can to give him all he needs .. I'm sorry the SRT treatment did not make him go OTJ yet, but it is nice knowing that no more damage can be done from it .. Great finds on your singer machines! We love craigslist!

11. tpr

tpr Well-Known Member

Hi Julie :D

Always so nice to see a Punkin report. I'm glad to hear that your little angel is still an honourary member of the CPC :D and I hope the Xobaline helps to improve the strength in his back legs. I have always loved your 'march on' perspective and think of it often when I get down about Ella's progress or lack there of. I understand that it must be discouraging to be shooting this much insulin a year after SRT but it's quite an improvement and it looks like your half way there :D We're rooting for you Punkin :RAHCAT
    I hope you have a wonderful school year and I'm happy to hear that you schedule will allow you to sneak home at lunch to ensure Punkin's safety as you try and bring his numbers back down.

Hope to see you again soon and in the meantime, give that expensive-doesn't-want-to-be-held furball a hug from me! Sounds like Punkin and Ella would be a good match:)

12. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

It's good to hear that Punkin is doing well. I hope the Xobaline helps his legs. That's great you can go home at lunch and check on him.

13. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Julie,
    I can't believe it's been a year either - seems like just a few months ago...

I swear you're my sister....I also have an obsession with old sewing machines. My paternal family made sewing machines for many years - the 'Eldredge' machines. I have 5 different ones PLUS my 1941 Kenmore industrial machine. I gave my old black Singer to one of my DIL's, my old treadle Hughes machine that I learned to sew on to my oldest granddaughter. I have 2 of the earliest ones made, completely manual and looks like a big circle. Drool over this one:

Eldredge B In Cabinet

Here is a pic like my 2 oldest ones:

[​IMG]

I also quilt...well, USED to quilt....

And we both have an extra sweet kitty....

HUG!

14. Grayson & Lu

Grayson & Lu Well-Known Member

HI Julie -

Glad to see Punkin here. I've been on FB-Acro, so not around here much anymore (Libby even lectured me about that! Finger wagging and "the look" over her glasses! - YIKES!). We're 6 weeks post-SRT and I'm still increasing - started R tonight too. Although we aspire to see OTJ, I'd take a 50% reduction! Might be able to start eating out again! :lol: Dr. Timian said 7-70 weeks to see improvement (not OTJ). Brent, who's kitty Tigger had Cyber Knife SRT at Yonkers, NY is OTJ about 3 weeks now - 26 weeks post-treatment. Gives me something to hang on to. And Tracy's Leo is down 50% in 6 weeks too. Fingers crossed that we'll see something - preferably a sizeable something - but we'll take what we can get!

My mom still has the Singer she sewed her wedding dress on in 1950, as well as 3 wedding dresses for my sisters, and no telling how many bridesmaids, prom dresses, formals, etc for all of us... plus pretty much everything we wore growing up! Those things are work horses! Love the pic of your "family"-made machine! I have a ~1970s Singer in a case in the closet. Every now and then I pull it out for a repair... but not so domestically inclined these days! But I can sure fill a syringe, and take BG readings multiple times in the middle of the night! "Time to make the donuts!" :lol:

Different skills for different needs, I guess!

15. Melissa & Tarragon

Melissa & Tarragon Well-Known Member

Yay for a Punkin report!! Great to hear he is pretty much over his pancreatitis and doing well. Also I'm glad to hear that he is still keeping the dishes clean, including Anya's. :lol:

Ohhhh on your new toy. Sounds beautiful. I taught myself how to sew a few years ago. I'm still not very good but I do love it and DH doesn't mind his misshapen pj pants. I made pillow shams out of old curtains last week and was very proud of myself. :lol: You are an artist with your. What did we ever do before Craigslist? Oh yeah, garage sales. I haven't been to one of those in years.

Soooo nice to "see" you and miss you and Punkin tons. Have a great night Julie!

16. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I do love hearing a Punkin report!! I hope you're enjoying being back in the front of the classroom.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.