9/8 Uncle *back from vet visit*

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Barbara & Uncle (GA), Sep 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

Barbara & Uncle (GA) Well-Known Member

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...te-and-nice-picture-from-this-morning.183533/
    This morning Uncle had 100ml drained from his chest cavity and a little came out from his abdomen as well.
    He was the sweetest little trooper as usual. Before and after xrays showed some improvement but hoping the Furosemide injections will help pull some more and/or stave off morefluid coming right back.
    I think the bottom line is to get his heart pumping better and keep him comfortable as long as possible.
    His breathing was already less labored when I brought him home, he gave me some purrs and then I had to leave him to go to work.
    I can't wait to get back home to see him.
    Cardiologist is supposed to be speaking with my vet this afternoon.
    Thank you all again for everything :bighug:

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
  2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

:bighug::bighug::bighug: I sure hope you can get an echo. Vines that the lasix helps and the fluid doesn't come back.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
    Barbara & Uncle (GA) likes this.
  3. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

:bighug::bighug::bighug:
    Glad you got some purrs from him.
    Sending heart strengthening vines an more prayers.

4. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Nice on the purrs. I hope the fluid doesn't come back right away. Sending prayers. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

5. Judy and Boomer

Judy and Boomer Well-Known Member

Sending lots of feel-better soon vines to Uncle!
    Nice on the purrs!

6. Gussie's mom (GA)

Gussie's mom (GA) Well-Known Member

7. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

More vines on an express headed up the coast to you! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

8. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Lots more vines on the way!
    :bighug::bighug::bighug:

9. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

Back home. Uncle's breathing is faster than normal.. RR is 32 instead of 22. Worrisome. Called the vet and she outlined a few different possible reasons for this. She is hoping that it may just be from some bruising pain he might be experiencing from the draining procedures. She's not happy to hear about it and I can tell it is bothering her too. I don't think there is any particular emergency right now, and to be honest I don't know if I would put him through all of the diagnostic procedures that he would have to endure if there is a worse case scenario. and I had to take him to the ER. Hopefully it won't come to that and things will settle down for him. I have some bupe and gabapentin here if I feel he's in a lot of pain and/or I need to help calm him. You all know I am loyal and dedicated to him and I would do everything I can to help him.
    At some point there will come a time where excessive intervention won't be the most loving thing for me to do for my boy. I hope that is a long way off in the distance but I really cannot tell at the moment. I'm sorry if this is painful for some of you to read. I know a lot of of you are rooting for us and I want you to know how much it means to us :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Taffysmama likes this.
  10. tiffmaxee

11. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

{{{Barbara}}} This is the hardest kind of situation a pet parent has to deal with. Please do not hesitate to share as much of it as you want with us. We get it. You need someone to listen to you, and that's what we're here for.

You and Uncle are in my thoughts and prayers. I know you will make whatever decisions are in his best interests, no matter what. If it helps you, here is a post that was shared with me when I was wondering how much more I should do for one of my aging, ailing cats. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Red & Rover (GA) likes this.
  12. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

You're a good cat mum. You've both had a long day. Monitor, do what you can, but mostly enjoy being with him.

13. tiffmaxee

I was told it could take a couple days to recover from tapping of fluids. Then he should be eating. Fingers and paws crossed.

14. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

Barbara, you are doing as much as you can, sending some nice calming and healing vines for Uncle, today couldn't have been easy, even if he was a trooper. Give him lots of your love, and ours too we have heaps to send :bighug::bighug:, I'm hoping he settles in, you being with him may be all that he needs to do just that. ​

15. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

I went through all this with my cat, Bubba (GA:rb_icon:)... He had congestive heart failure and in the end kidney failure.
    I hope the lasix helps and he gets breathing a bit slower. Sending healing vines for Uncle.

16. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

Thanks Tricia, I believe that assessment tool will be helpful. I know everyone here understands and I won't keep things to myself.

17. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

18. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

I don't know how old Bubba was, but it seems if we are lucky enough to have our kitties with us into their old age, these issues are inevitable.
    Uncle's little brother had CHF and multiple other health issues and his sister had lung cancer. I've been here before too but it never seems to get easier.

19. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Having gone through this four times last year, I can say for sure that it never does get easier. Just keep in mind all the joy Uncle gives you. I know you wouldn't give that up for anything. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

20. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

Thanks for sending vines and love. Hopefully tomorrow will be better a better day.

21. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

I know, what a year you had. Not fair.
    Many of my other first friends here had to let there kitties go ahead too in the 11 months I've been on the board. I would cry with everyone else. We're all family.

22. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Indeed. When one is lost, we all grieve. We are a family. So lean on us and feel the vines flowing to help Uncle pull through this, and to help you deal with whatever comes.

23. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

Uncle did eat some dinner. He especially like d the freeze dried chicken I crumbled on top.

24. tiffmaxee

That's a really good sign. :bighug:

25. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

Thanks for checking in on us. Good advice, words of wisdom really. :bighug:

26. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Yay! My kittens would eat just about anything with freeze dried chicken on top!

27. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

Yeah, I was happy about that :cat:

28. Gussie's mom (GA)

Gussie's mom (GA) Well-Known Member

We call that FD chicken "kitty crack" here! ;) Best topper I know of!
    Happy to hear he ate for you! Does a heart happy to read that:bighug:
    Give him a snuggle from here:bighug:

29. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

30. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

Will do!
    p.s. he just ate a bit more for me then hopped back into his safe hiding place to go back to sleep

31. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

This is so very difficult. You've taken great care of Uncle and you'll make the right decisions going forward. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

32. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

adding hugs.... All those years of love is what makes us strong for them when we need to be.

I always worry when the fluid build ups start..... seems after they are tapped, they just fill right back up. That pressure can't feel good, just like when we have
    swollen body parts.

I'd keep the pain meds coming just for that reason.
    :bighug:

33. Doodles & Karen

Doodles & Karen Well-Known Member

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug: Lots of vines and prayers for you and Uncle. There were times that I had to dose Doodles with Lasix every 8 hours for 3 days and he was at the max dose of 30mg BID. Give Uncle extra scritches for me.

34. Chubba (GA)

Chubba (GA) Well-Known Member

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:
    And lots of feel better vines for Uncle.

35. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

We thought bubba was 11-12 but the cardiologist thinks he was 13-15. He said he shouldn't have lived past 2 with his heart defect. They had a special case file for him at Cornell University Animal Hospital. Bubba thought he was King there. He was at home too! LOL
    Happy to see he's eating. :cat::bighug:

36. Taffysmama

Taffysmama Well-Known Member

Hugs to you and Uncle! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.