? 9/9 Pretty Girl PMBG 133 stalling

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by JeanW, Sep 9, 2018.

1. JeanW

JeanW Member

Hey y'all - I know I've been away - have had computer and Internet problems and been focused on Pretty Girl.

My spreadsheet is not updated due to computer problems. But I have been faithfully testing and feeding / shooting. About 10 days ago I found that Pretty Girl was bouncing up into the high 500s and 600s at what should have been the nadir - she was on 1.5 units morning and evening.

The latest vet I saw on Friday when I took Pretty Girl in for fluids gave me a lecture and the very dangerous instructions to not test for 2 weeks. :blackeye::blackeye::blackeye:

Per his instructions I started giving Pretty Girl 1 unit Lantus on Friday evening and did the same Saturday AM and PM. When I got up this morning she didn't seem good at all - very off - but I tested her at +10 and BG was 395. Gave one unit this morning.

Now tonight she seems "off" also and when I tested her PMPS was 142 and five minutes later was 133. I do not feel right about giving her a shot tonight.

What do you all advise?

2. JeanW

JeanW Member

Bumping. Is anyone still up that can give input?
    @Chris & China are you around?

3. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

Add question mark icon to front of your title to draw more attention ....

4. JeanW

JeanW Member

Thank you

5. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

I’m not able to stay up with you but you can continue to stall her shot and not feed, testing every 20 minutes until you see a rise and then give 1u but you will need to be able to test her because she could come right down. The maximum amount of time we stall is two hours only because stalling longer makes it difficult to get back to your shot time.

Normally, shooting a blue number shouldn’t be a big deal for a member whose cat has been diabetic this long but it looks like you’ve skipped her shot every time you’ve gotten one. In order for her to do better, you will need to be consistent with testing and dosing; that’s just the long and short of it. And we can do a better job of helping you if there is data to look at.

I’m pretty good with invisible numbers but there’s just not enough data to tell you much over the last few cycles. Because I’m not able to stay up with you, then the decision whether to shoot insulin or not is up to you. If she is off....as in not eating....you should take her to the vet. Do you test her for urine ketones daily?

BTW, could you please change the title to read “PMBG” instead of “PMPS” and add “stalling” to it? There might be another member who can stay up with you if you shoot but please be sure you have supplies and are able and available to test. She looks like she might be clearing a bounce and numbers might run lower.

Beth 73 likes this.
  6. JeanW

JeanW Member

Are you looking at my September sheet? I have all data filled in.

Yes, I have skipped shots with blue numbers but there have only been about 3 blue numbers in the last 4 months or so.

I took her to the vet on Friday and they did sub-q fluids and CBC blood work. All lab results good except BG too high and slightly high on kidney function. Pancreas is good.

7. Marje and Gracie

Sorry....you need to put 9/9 Pretty Girl PMBG 133 stalling. By having PMPS in there, members will think you shot.

8. JeanW

JeanW Member

Thank you. I did that.

As far as how she was "off" this morning, she ate very well. But she seemed weak and lethargic.

So far she hasn't eaten as much tonight. But she seemed very good in the middle of the day today.

Marje and Gracie likes this.
  9. Marje and Gracie

I was but when I first looked, there was no data at all for 9/7 and there was nothing for this morning on whether you shot....I just went based on what you said in your post.

There are numerous nights with no data at all. As diabetic cats can tend to be more active at night, we don’t know what she’s been doing or what dose is really appropriate.

You might want to be sure and check her urine ketones. If you’ve already fed her since the 133, the subsequent tests for a bit will be food influenced.

JeanW likes this.
  10. JeanW

JeanW Member

Thank you. I did check urine ketones but will check again.

Yes, I've already fed her since the 133. She has never been that low since this began.

Sorry, I saw that I had forgotten to fill in 9/7. Do you mean I should be testing all throughout the night too?

11. JeanW

JeanW Member

Sorry to be so confusing. I have had trouble keeping my sheet due to the computer problems. Left home tonight and came to work to message you all.

12. Marje and Gracie

You don’t need to test throughout the night but if you have no tests, then you are missing half your data. I usually suggest members have at least the PMPS, +2, and a before bed test. If necessary (I.e. the BG is dropping), they might need to get other tests as well.

The fact that a kitty has been diabetic that long and has never been 133 or lower is an indication that things could be much better for her.

If you’ve already fed her, the best course would be to skip her shot because the BGs you get for at least the end to hour or so will likely be a food spike if they are elevated. Whether you shoot or not, you need to continue to test her until her numbers are flat or up without food.

JeanW likes this.
  13. JeanW

JeanW Member

Thanks for your advice.

Usually PMPS +2 is also my bedtime. But I am often getting up at night to check on Pretty Girl so I can plan to check her again at +4 or so.

Yes, I can see that. It's both encouraging and sad.

Yes, I've already fed her. I will continue to test her numbers for the next several hours tonight.

14. Marje and Gracie

You’re welcome. I hope you can start posting regularly so we can help you help her.

15. JeanW

JeanW Member

I did post regularly for a while and will come back to it. I had to step away for a while because . . . well just because.

I greatly appreciate your offer to help.

16. JeanW

JeanW Member

When I checked her at +1 after eating she was only at 165. But was still eating.

What am I looking for? That her numbers keep going up or remain flat whether she is eating or not?

17. Marje and Gracie

You just want the numbers to be stable or coming up after you haven’t fed her for a bit. Chances are, she will come up but I never discount the depot.

JeanW likes this.
  18. JeanW

JeanW Member

At +4 she is at 230 but still eating off and on. I will probably check her every hour or two all night.

I belatedly realized I can update my sheet with my phone and Google Sheets. Duh me. :banghead:

19. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

I think Marje was just concerned that she didn't continue to drop

If she's at 230 now, she'll probably continue to go up since you didn't shoot tonight so I think you could go ahead and get some sleep if you want to.

Sorry I wasn't around earlier

JeanW likes this.
  20. JeanW

JeanW Member

Thank you. Your input is appreciated at any point.

I really do need sleep desperately so thanks for that. I will just see how it goes and decide if I need to get up more or less. Thanks again.

21. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Seriously, if you didn't shoot tonight, there's absolutely no need to continue to test.

Take care of yourself or you'll be no good to take care of Pretty Girl.

Put N.S. in the U column of the spreadsheet (for No Shot) and go to bed!!

JeanW likes this.
  22. JeanW

JeanW Member

Thank you. I will!!!