9 lives/friskies best value on food? question

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by IloveLarry, Feb 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IloveLarry

IloveLarry Well-Known Member

i am trying to figure out how i could put all 6 cats on a wet diet to simplify things. if each cat ate even 2 cans a day, multiplied by 6, on the 9 lives that would be roughly 200.00 per month. unfort. that is not doable. i have looked on amazon, walmart, etc. and dont see anyway of reducing the cost. it has been costing roughly 30.00 to feed 6 for a month.
    i am already overbudget as it will now cost more to feed larry than it has all 6. no complaints, just saying :)
    b4 i get their food this month, i am mulling over the choices however....thinking there must be a way?
    any1 know a place u can get 9 lives or friskies for less than the usual 40 cents per can? buying in bulk or something? as far as i know they r the 2 most reasonably priced on the list. unless sum1 knows different.
    thanks for ur suggestions :)
    have a good day :)

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Friskies pates come in 13 oz cans.
    I can get them at a Columbus, OH WalMart for $0.78 each.

3. Dusty Bones

Dusty Bones Member

The only thing I can think of that would help you save a little more is the Petco Rewards Program. If you purchase food online or at their store you get a $5 coupon for every $100 you spend. At least once a week their online store Petco.com will have their food on sale for 10-15% off and if you spend $49 or more you get free shipping. The rewards program is free and they send you emails for flash sales they have all the time to save even more money. I buy all my food online because it's cheaper than in-store prices plus I get free shipping all the way to Hawaii.

4. IloveLarry

thx. those r all good ideas.
    wow bj, thats a heck of a walmart! here i looked and its 96 cents a can. i know only 18 cents diff. but still thats like a 20 percent diff. i need to shop there! also, evry flavor in the big cans that they had, had fish, liver, beef, or 2 of the 3 so i opted out.
    mind saying which flavors u get in the big can bj??
    i also looked for a toy liz got, i forget where, that releases food when played with. i used to have a ball that did that, and evry single cat was too lazy to bother. ohmygod_smile :D :shock:
    finally, this crappy walmart only has freeze dried chick for dogs...and they only had the big size for roughly 12.00. it has rosemary in it. does that matter? if i find a smaller bag somewhere. just chick and rosemary!
    all the cats LOVE the canned chicken. only 1 likes all the chicken i cooked for them. ohmygod_smile picky rats. (the 1 isnt larry :( ) the only issue i see with canned is the salt. its sea salt 260 mg a can, and used as treats a can would last maybe 4 days? no clue as to salt intake and cats.

5. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

I feed Turkey & Giblet, or Poultry platter. You can ask the manager over pet food supplies to order those, or use WalMart's ship to store feature.
    WalMart has astore brand of pates which may work

Also check out PetSmart Great Choice flavors. They used to be called Sophisticat, then got slightly reformulated.

6. IloveLarry

i saw the special kitty pate, but i am thinking its not on the carb list. is that right? ty

7. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

8. IloveLarry

aha! thx! crap wish i had had that today. but will chk next time.
    u r a plethora of FD info. bj. heheh :)

9. Arienna

Arienna Member

With that many cats, have you considered making your own food? There was some great instructional stuff in the feline nutrition section. A bit of a start up investment and not so much for the squeamish, but much cheaper.

10. IloveLarry

i would love to! i barely evr hv energy to fix food for myself, tho. now its evn harder, with special needs cat. hes my angel tho. saw him grooming more than usual today. :D maybe someday, i will hv money and some energy.
    its a good idea :)

11. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Just call me Infobits.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.