9 Years Off Insulin - I can't add, its 8 !

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jen & Squeak, Mar 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

And my boy is still fat and sassy and healthy as ever :mrgreen:

I found this place in December 2002; I was a basket case and the folks here helped me immeasurably. Squeak had stopped eating and was skinny and it just snuck up on us. I never thought of diabetes as he'd always needed his water fix, that hadn't changed.

We started on 2 units Humulin L and Purina DM canned. We used fructosamine tests to determine dosage as my vet had attended a seminar and that is what she was told to do. No hometesting, and I didn't think Squeak would let me test anyways. Things went pretty smooth till I took him off insulin (fructosamine results) and he relapsed. So I started testing and it was way easier than expected! Soon we were tapering off his dose and then he was off altogether. I think it was about March 9 that he was really and truly off of insulin.

I owe a huge debt to Rebecca for this site, Janet for the FAQ and the food charts and her help, Robin for being tough and objective, Deanie for insisting that I needed to test, Rosemary for instilling a respect for diet beyond just the numbers on the chart, Hope or Kimber (can't remember which) for reminding me to use vaseline when testing, and so many others who aren't here any longer and a few who lurk. This site has changed MY life in so many ways and brought so many people into my world (and the internet), I will be forever grateful.

I've not figured out what we will give the boy for his little celebration but I'm sure that he will enjoy it.

For those of you who are new, remember that you CAN do this, that there are tons of resources here, to use your common sense, and always ask for help if you need it.

Jen

edited to add: Hilary at ST pointed out my math is faulty...8 years, NOT 9! Holy crow!

2. kse

kse Well-Known Member

Re: 9 Years Off Insulin

Good for you!!!!!

And, thanks for the encouragement!

3. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

wow, what a great post! 9 years off sure is a wonderful thing to read!

4. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

Whoohooo!!!!!!!!! Partytime!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congradulations on 9 years OTJ at the Falls!! That is awesome!

party_cat flip_cat dancing_cat flip_cat party_cat flip_cat dancing_cat flip_cat party_cat

5. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

Jen, what a wonderful anniversary and fantastic post. Congratulations to you both.

6. Harley and Pattie

Harley and Pattie Well-Known Member

CONGRATULATIONS on 9 years off Insulin. That calls for a celebration! Here's to many more years to come. drinking24

Pattie

7. Helen and Tuco (GA)

Helen and Tuco (GA) New Member

Congratulations, Jen!!! Here's to you both...CHEERS!!!!

8. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Congrats! This is truly a celebration!

9. Robert and Echo

Robert and Echo Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Inspirational!!!

10. Sonia & Tom (GA)

Sonia & Tom (GA) Well-Known Member

Beautiful!

11. cjleo

cjleo Member

Jen,

Thanks for sharing the milestone! Better than a birthday! Hope to see 10 years for Squeak next year!

Claudia

12. Nina and KB

Nina and KB Well-Known Member

Awesome! Congratulations! I know you'll find the purrfect way to celebrate.

13. Frip&Grip

Frip&Grip Member

Wow… 9 years OTJ… This is nice to read… I didn’t know some kitties were OTJ for that long here… Gives us all hope.. :RAHCAT

14. drjsiems

drjsiems Member

What an awesome anniversary tribute - 9 years! Wow! Congrats on a job well done - you are an inspiration to us all. The falls is a great place to be!

dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat
    Judy, Jake, & Civvie Boomer

15. Sam's mom

Sam's mom New Member

So glad to hear it!!. It can and does happen. My Sam is 15 yo and has been off insulin for over 4 years. He's been doing very well, especially for an older cat and has been a really happy kitty. I've been feeding him Friskies Senior canned food and also human grade meat both raw and cooked (as snacks). I've been extremely lucky that he has bounced back twice from diabetes and the need for insulin that initially began in '06. Keeping him on lo carb canned food has really made the difference. He still drinks alot of water and has some kidney issues but overall is healthy and beautiful. If it weren't for this board with all the information and support, he wouldn't be here. Cheers!

16. Cheryl and Winnie

Cheryl and Winnie Well-Known Member

party_cat party_cat
    CONGRATULATIONS JEN AND SQUEAK !!

Here's to many more happy cat years OTJ together.

so what did he get for his celebration ?
    I'm sure it was wonderful.

17. Deb415andNikki

Deb415andNikki Member

Color me late to your momentous celebration, dearest Jen, and, obviously, you too, sassy Squeak!

But, celebrations like this should go on and on and on! That said...

Happy Anniversary!
    Happy Anniversary!
    Happy 9th Anniversary, dear Squeak and Jen!!!!!!!!!
    Happy Anniversary!

And, many, many, many more...

What a beautiful post. Thank you!!!!!!!!!

Much love and countless celebratory hugs for you both,
    Deb and Nikki -- and, Giz, smiling on us all...

18. Carol-Charlie

Carol-Charlie Well-Known Member

Stevie is 2 1/2... years off insulin... with only ten days on and off it... I'm sure even my Charlie is happy about that...

19. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Congratulations...8 years 9 years...It's ALL good!

20. Emmy & Dude

Emmy & Dude Well-Known Member

WOO-HOO - CONGRATULATIONS - Way ta' go -
    Whether 8 or 9 years, that's fantabulous and you are to be congratulated. And to see that Squeak is still fat and sassy and doing so well - that's even better.

Keep up the good work - you're an inspiration to all the newbies - and a lot of us "oldies" too. :)

Dude's sending a high 5 to Squeak and Mittsi's doin' her special dance for him.

Emmy & Dude (& Mittsi too)

21. oscarandlucy

oscarandlucy Member

This is inspiring to read. Thanks. And Congrats!!!

22. Lore & Kitty(GA)

Lore & Kitty(GA) New Member

Congrats from another old board member! It can be done. Kitty was on insulin for one month then off for the remainder of her life (6 years).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.