9-yr old male cat on Lantus stopped eating, glucose way up.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by rufusthecat, Aug 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rufusthecat

rufusthecat New Member

Since it's a weekend and I can't call the vet, I'm wondering if I'm handling the following correctly. Nine-yr old male cat, about 20 lbs, dx with feline diabetes about a year ago. On Lantus, 6 units 2x per day during am and pm meals which each consist one can hi-protein food no more than 7% carbs. His glucose levels have ranged from the high 200s to the high 300s throughout this treatment period. Seemed pretty well except for a bit of peripheral neuropathy in his hind legs. Then yesterday, (Sat) after his breakfast can and Lantus injection, he disappeared and was eventually found snoozing in a hidey-hole. Refused to come down for dinner. Threw up some sticky milky fluid, and continued sleeping. This morning, still didn't want to move and vomited the slimy white stuff again. No interest in food. I haven't given him his shots because he hasn't eaten which I assume is the correct thing to do. Will call the vet tomorrow (Mon) but meanwhile, if he still doesn't eat this evening or tomorrow morning, am I correct in continuing not giving him his shots? I took a glucose reading around noon today, a day and a half after his last meal, and his level shot up to 536 -- never been that high. Any advice before seeing the vet?

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Re: 9-yr old male cat on Lantus stopped eating, glucose way

Ylou do want to give some insulin to bring the glucose down, maybe a quarter to a half dose. That will let him use the glucose in his blood. Otherwise, you're risking fat breakdown for calories which stress the liver and creates ketones. Too many ketones esult in diabetic ketoacidosis, a potentially fatal, expensive to treat complication of diabetes.

Make sure he has fresh cool water and let him decide if he wants to eat for the next few hours. The insulin may actually prompt some hunger. Vets will often suggest some GI rest when there is vomiting.

3. rufusthecat

rufusthecat New Member

Many thanks for the advice. I'll try to get him to drink this evening, and offer him a little of his favorite food--lean sliced ham--if he'll take it. Plus maybe 2 units of Lantus, down from his usual six. I held off on that because of the potential for hypoglycemia, but what you suggest makes sense. Thanks again!

4. Anitafrnhamer

Anitafrnhamer Member

Just an FYI for future use. When my cats appetite is waning I give him a little baby food chicken. I use Beech Nut Stage 1; no carbs because it's all meat, no sugar, and no gravy. A little of that spread on top of his food and it gets his attention. I'm sure there are other brands you could use just make sure to read the label to ensure there is no sugar or other ingredients aside from the meat and water.
    I keep a couple jars in the cupboard and it always does the trick.

Anita and Squeaker

5. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Lean sliced ham may be part of the higher numbers. Ham is sugar cured....

6. rufusthecat

rufusthecat New Member

Damn carbs are lurking everywhere it seems! Thanks for the tip about the baby food jars containing only chicken+water. He's much better today, in any case, ate a full can of lo-carb cat food for breakfast and got his full 6-unit Lantus dose. I'll check his numbers around noon. Thanks again!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.