911 NEWBIE NEED HELP cat BG 385 (5hrs after)

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by pepperthecat1969, Sep 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pepperthecat1969

pepperthecat1969 Member

HI Khan's numbers today (first real day of home testing) and I have to get back to work.. DO I NEED TO GIVE 1/2 unit more of HUMULIN N? or leave as is?

252 1130pm (very first home test)-- 3 hrs after insulin shot
    274 1230am
    395 7am
    550 8am (after eating, I gave 2 units of insulin)
    385 1pm central time (5 hrs after initial insulin shot this am)

WHAT SHOULD I DO?

2. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

Leave as is. Adding more N when you do not have enough data is not the way to go. Also, adding more N is not going to give you longer duration. You will find now that you are home testing that N is not the greatest insulin for cats.

3. pepperthecat1969

pepperthecat1969 Member

Thank you. I'll go back to work. I understand it isn't the best. My DVM won't be in until tomorrow so I can talk to him about switching. I will also review previous posts and information to discuss with him on the other insulins available.
    Thank you very much forthe quick response. i'm trying to stay calm.. this webpage is a LIFE SAVER for me. :)

4. pepperthecat1969

pepperthecat1969 Member

730pm that is 6 1/2 hrs since last check and 13 1/2 hrs since last shot.. reading was 461, Khan is eating right now so I'll try to make sure he eats enough before I give a shot. I plan on trying to check a couple more times in thenext 4 hrs.

5. weeble

weeble Member

I don't want to confuse or discourage you, but my vet switched me to Humulin-N and I only stayed on for 5 days. I switched back to Lantus with the help of this site and I can't tell you how glad I am I did. The particular vet I was working with was only superficially knowledgable about diabetes and insulin. Not that she didn't want to help--she was just working with the information she had.

In other words, you may want to look around on the site and ask around in the different Insulin support groups to make a decision.

Either way, you're already doing a great job by home testing and you're on the right track looking for help here.

Good luck!

6. pepperthecat1969

pepperthecat1969 Member

Check out my post under newbie khan. Since I am new I was frazled and didn't know what and when does a person post a 911 on this site. I'm a bit more comfortable so I won't b postg under this topic just under newbie khan is where I'm placing his updates. I agree and so does my vet that khans insulin needs to be changed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.