911 - PMPS 426, 3+ 544

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Gingembre1, Dec 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gingembre1

Gingembre1 Member

I can’t afford to take him to the vet if he has ketoacidosis. I’m at my wit’s end. I can’t take this. I feel like if I have to take him into the vet, I’ll have to put him down.

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Don't panic, you just haven't found the right dose yet. He's due for his next increase. Was he ever dka? Do you have a meter or test strips to test for ketones? How is he behaving?

If it makes you feel better, my cat didnt see a number under 300 until she was 3 months into insulin and up to 3 units. it's a marathon. You only had him diagnosed a month ago. Believe me that's not a long time and the numbers you are getting are not unusual for a newly diagnosed cat. It's OK. :) it is wise to monitor for ketones. I personally use a ketone blood meter which I find more convenient than urine strips.

3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Please post on the Lantus forum. The people there are very experienced and will help you get the best from this insulin. Your signature says you're following SLGS but he might need to be "fast tracked" in dose. They can help you with that. Include something about needing help with dosing urgently. If you look to the left of the thread title bar you'll find a short menu of icons you can include. Click on the blue question mark. It'll get more attention on your post.

Elizabeth and Bertie and JanetNJ like this.
  4. Gingembre1

Gingembre1 Member

Thank you, I’ll post over there. He was still in the 500s this morning. Tested for ketones last night, and the strips came back as nothing or trace amounts.

5. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I'm glad you're not seeing ketones. He's been high and that's a risk factor. The people there will ask you whether you might want to try TR (Tight Regulation), a dosing method that calls for dose increases after 6 doses if the numbers are still high. You'll need to test more but as unpleasant as you find that now, it's really best for your kitty. :) Testing becomes routine very quickly once you get over the mental hurdle around it.

Elizabeth and Bertie likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.