? 9thDec Tyler&M AMPS=220: +3=176: +5=142: +7=157: +9=194: PMPS=218 : + 2=184: +5=112

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by PussCatPrince - GA, Dec 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PussCatPrince - GA

PussCatPrince - GA Well-Known Member

This isn't really clicking with me at the moment. No idea why. I couldn't do earlier tests this morning so it is a +3. I am not sure if this drop is considered OK or not.

What is considered a low enough drop to warrant a small bit of food/carbs please?

Yesterday.

2. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

That's about a 15 drop per hour, I don't consider that a quick drop at all. But I'm also a lot less experienced than others, so I can't speak to exactly what would constitute a big drop vs not. The 117 at the +2 from the 221, I would consider a big drop and perhaps would have given a little medium carb there. The more data you collect, you'll have a better idea of what is normal for your cat. For Asia +/- 20 points an hour or there about is average.

3. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

It's not a big drop, but it's still early in the cycle, so we would expect him to slide down a little further.

At this stage, a low carb snack/mini meal can be helpful to keep them from gathering too much speed. Ideally we would like to see him gently drop into dark greens and hang out there for a while, we want to encourage that rather than slam the breaks on and have him Bob back up to yellow.

PussCatPrince - GA likes this.
  4. PussCatPrince - GA

Thanks guys.
    I'll get there in the end. Hopefully by having a 'lighbulb' moment . When I try to explain to Phil I sound like I know what I'm on about. Mentals!

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  5. Girlie's mom

Girlie's mom Well-Known Member

When I was starting out, I was told that 50 or 60+ points in an hour could be considered a big drop, but it depends on what number they start from (dropping 50 points in an hour from a high black or red number is different from dropping from a yellow or blue). These two posts helped me get my head around this: especially reply#12 and reply#15 on this one.

6. PussCatPrince - GA

Thanks Girlie's Mum

At +9 he is still blue and creeping up.
    I have just given him a little snack of Applaws not for any other reason than to give him a treat. Won't retest until PMPS now.

Can there be more of a drop during an overnight period than during a day?

Also, what is meant by a cycle? Is that between insulin shots? Or the course of 24hrs.

7. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

Yes, the cycles are the hours between shots, 12 hours in a cycle. And yes, many cats drop lower at night than in the day cycle. It's good to try to get an overnight test somewhere and vary them on different nights, so you can fill in the blanks more. Really nice cycle today!

8. PussCatPrince - GA

OK. Will try and do that. Thanks for the suggestion. If not this night then certainly in the next couple of nights. Maybe at a +2 if before bed . Then a +4 or +5 seems a good midway.

TBH I have no idea why it is blue unless it is halving the wet renal amount and substituting the Applaws , so lower carbs overall I think. I was mindful of the carbs = cake parallel that was made. Also to not jump in but to monitor and ride.

9. PussCatPrince - GA

Sorry to ask but does this look OK please. It is now PMPS+2 and is 184 Blue.

10. PussCatPrince - GA

PMPS +5 1.15am 112

11. Alicia & Maggie (GA)

Alicia & Maggie (GA) Well-Known Member

If you can get another test in an hour it would be a good idea to make sure Ty isn't continuing to drop too much. Looking good in blue! :cool:

12. PussCatPrince - GA

PMPS +6 = 119 2:15 a.m.

On its way up. Gave Ty a snack as he really did not enjoy being messed with at this hour , bless socks.

Alicia & Maggie (GA) likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.