A bit of a mini curve, any advice please?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by dbg, Sep 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dbg

dbg New Member

Hi,

I am very new to this forum and for anyone who did not see my original post here is a quick update. Was feeding Nimbus dry food (on vets advice) and he was on 3U twice a day of caninsulin. Was worried as he appeared drunk on several occasions around lunchtime and vet said he could not be hypo as fructosamine levels were very high. To cut a long story short I borrowed my mums meter (she is dx) and tested Nimbus at lunchtime and it was 1.1/19.8 and 26.6/478.8 in the evening. As he was probably rebounding I did not give him any insulin until the following evening and cut back to 1U twice a day. That was last Friday and since then I have cut out the dry food.

Today as DH was around we attempted to do our own curve. We were both quite traumatised and thought we would never get any tests done but managed to get 4 in so I am hoping it is enough for you guys to gauge whats going on. I put low carb wet food down 3 times a day for all my cats (5) and there is always some left in the bowl.

Figures as follows
    AM shot at 0800 with 1U of caninsulin(unable to get any blood)
    11.40 - 8.1 145.8
    1340 - 6.6 118.8
    1700 - 19.3 347.4
    1940 - 25.1 451.8
    PM shot at 2000 with 1U of caninsulin

I dont think the caninsulin suits him as it does not last very long and I risk another hypo if I up the dose. As I am in the UK I can ask for Prozinc or go back to PZI (he was ok on that for nearly 4 years whilst eating dry food but became unregulated so vet switched him, now he is off the dry maybe it would be ok?). Any thoughts?

When I could not get any blood this morning I re read a few things on here which really helped and had another go but at one point I thought we would never get a test in. Worried that I will not be able to keep tests up when I am on my own as it is definitely a two man job at the minute. I guess I will get better with time. Nimbus always purrs when he has his shots and I feel he was so uncooperative with the bg tests because he has had curves done at the vets. Hopefully when he realises we are not hurting him he will settle down.

Need to talk to vet but could do with being a bit more informed so that I can put my foot down if necessary :?

Thanks guys. :smile:

2. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

Mary posted this earlier today on a previous thread. I don't know why UK vets are not using the Insuvet insulin.

Re: tigger 16yrs newly diagnosed in manchester, uk.
    by Mary Jazz Katy Bushey(GAs) » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:44 am

Hullo from Hastings!!

I'm sorry I didnt see your post until today (and I'm going away tomorrow)

Insuvet PZI is probably the best UK insulin for cats, its only one atom different from cats normal insulin.

FOOD

Any tinned food in JELLY is ideal.

You can work out the carbs in any food if you are good at maths. Look at the values. they probably look like this

Moisture 80%
    Fat or oil 5%
    Protein 10%

Add these together and take away from 100
    and you get
    100-95% =5% carbs

A mouse is the ideal food and comes in at 4% carbs

Most dry is about 50% carbs!

It would help all your cats if you fased out all dry.............. you done want any of them getting the dire beasties!

You have read about HYPO (too much insulin. too little food) I always kept a box of glucose powder in the cupboard, it costs about £1 a box and can be rubbed on the gums or syringed down............ if you have it handy the chances are you will never need it!

Oh, and Janet & Binky's list does have UK foods if you look for them

Hope this helps

Mary Hastings E. Sussex

3. Jana+BK+Chester(GA)+Wilbur

Jana+BK+Chester(GA)+Wilbur Member

B.K. was on Vetsulin after Idexx PZI was discontinued, and is now on Lantus. My experience with Vetsulin was similar to yours - it simply was not long-lasting and resulted in a number of hypos and near-hypos. Lantus has worked perfectly for B.K. It is long-lasting, and results in a much gentler curve.

4. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

Hi Deb,

Firstly this is the best way to put your results (I've rounded them up for ease)

Amps No Test
    +3.40 146
    +5.40 119
    +9 348
    +11.40 452

Nothing wrong with what you wrote, just that because everyone is from all over the world the time zones are all over.So we put how many hours after the shot and makes sense to everyone.

1U and you've had a pretty good response. I'm guessing kitty may have eaten somewhere between the 146 and 119? Only becauae nadir (lowest number in the cycle) is usually between +3-5 hours after shot.
    You can see why Caninsulin isn't the best, it 'peters' out around +10.

I haven't used PZI or Prozinc, my friend used the Prozinc and got her cat diet controlled very quickly and others here have spoken positively about it. It has been formulated specifically for cats if you google it.
    I would say don't give more than 1u of whichever insulin you decide on.
    Sucks that you can't try Lantus/Levemir but that seems to be the rules.

Have you heard/read about burrito hold?
    Lucky was extremely fractious and I had to wrap her in a small throw. Over time she realised that I was helping her and it became a sign of what was coming for her and she found it reassuring. She still had her moments when it was a battle of wills (I always tested her in the kitchen as small and could close door so she couldn't get very far if she got away.Still have the scars to prove it :mrgreen: )
    I'm on leave at present and am quite happy to ring and talk through anything with you if you think that would be of help.
    Please keep asking questions and we can also help you to set up a spread sheet.

5. dbg

dbg New Member

Thank you Kate for doing my figures so everyone understands. That makes perfect sense +hour etc.

I did read up on the burrito this morning and gave it a go but Nimbus is unbelievably strong (vet has commented many times) and manages to burst out :? He can also accelerate backwards at the speed of light :lol:

Will talk to vet asap and try and get the insulin changed so it lasts a bit longer and will definitely start low.

Thanks for your lovely offer Kate, may take you up on it especially if I am at odds with the vet once I have spoken to him.

I will get the hang of this site eventually and yes will def need help with the ss.

Thanks again.

6. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

No probs.

I wrapped Lucky so threw over her back and scooped round her.She couldn't (usually :roll: ) back out as my right elbow/arm was at the back of her.
    I just held the blanket pretty tight at the front.
    It does take practice, especially working glucometers etc 1 handed! I sat on the floor up against kitchen door too.

Other thing you can do is boil some freash chicken (not roast) and give a slice or two after test. Then like Pavlovs dogs associating it with something nice, hopefully then becoming more co-operative.

Get your insulin sorted, don't let vet put you off it's an internet site, but do try and get them on board-they might be willing to learn! and then we can help with the ss (not me I'm hopeless at such technical stuff, but get some one clever to help you and it's quite easy)

Sctritches to Nimbus cat_pet_icon

7. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

You might try the clothespin trick: http://www.felinecrf.org/giving_sub-qs_ ... _peg_trick It simulates the way a mother cat picks up the kitties by the scruff and they just hang there. Lots of people who have had difficult cats use it at first, then find over time, with snacks, they are able to test without it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.