? A/D & bg/ cat not eating; need help/ideas for feeding/ losing weight

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by apple, Apr 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. apple

apple Member

My cat isn't eating enough. He will eat a little baby food and a bit or two of FF. I'm going to have to force feed. How will A/D affect blood sugar? Is it high carb? Is there something better to force feed?

He's getting thin. The vet, at my persisting, prescribed 1/2 tab cerenia, and it's not seeming to help like it used to. I wanted 1 tab per dose.

His amps was 341.

2. Judy and Boomer

Judy and Boomer Well-Known Member

I don't know anything about the carbs in A/D but getting your kitty to eat is most important! You could try warming the FF a bit. Or add some water from canned tuna. Some kitties like parmesan cheese sprinkled on top. Or try spoon or fork feeding your kitty (mine likes that :rolleyes:). Or perhaps some real chicken?
    By any chance is he dehydrated?

3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

The bigger issue is the not wanting to eat. In a situation like this I'd worry less about carb content and more about getting enough food in. Do you have any mid cycle numbers to tell you how low the dose is taking him? Are you giving 1.5 u?

4. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

The Hills A/D Recovery wet is about 13% carbs and has about 180 calories in a 5 ounce tin. As Kris said at this point getting him to eat is more important than worrying about the carb content. A/D is very easy to syringe feed.

5. apple

apple Member

Didn't bump up. Stayed at 1u

6. apple

apple Member

7. apple

apple Member

The best I have right now is this. 20170419_194408.jpg

8. apple

apple Member

His one hour after 1u insulin is 321.
    Edit 4/21 is the date

9. Kris & Teasel

My best guess from what I can see on this graph is that the BG hovers in a fairly narrow high-ish range in this time period. That can be from too low a dose but I can't say for sure. Those highs and lows from early on in the the graph are becoming history at this point. Once a cat settles in at higher numbers for a length of time glucose toxicity can develop which reduces their sensitivity to insulin. This can be overcome by careful, slow increases in dose.

I think someone on here said you can set up our Spreadsheet on your phone. Can you do that? Ask for help if you need it. :)

MJW likes this.
  10. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

What does your vet say his ideal weight should be? What is his current weight? Are there any other medical issues (pancreatitis, ckd, ibs, etc.)? Has an ultra sound been done to ensure everything is ok in the abdomen?

What has worked for me:
    Warming the food
    Offering different foods
    Bonita Flakes (if you have an Asian market you may be able to find them there, if not Amazon has them but you would have to wait) - add to existing/regular food.
    Tuna water/Tuna added to food.
    Change the food bowl to a flat plate

I know @carfurby (Carla) has the list handy on feeding tips. Tagging her to see if she can post it.

I don't have any experience on these foods (they are prescription from the vet) but they are what was recommended for force feeding - they are higher in calories. I used watered down, mushed Turkey & Giblets FF.
    Royal Canin Recovery RS 7% carb
    Iams Maxcal 9% carb

Are you equipped to force feed? I got these from my vet (trust me I could not find them anywhere locally). If you don't have these see if you can get them from your vet:
    https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B010BWO...colid=VIDIU965QO24&coliid=I16SRLP6KIH3CR&th=1

I used the lower half of the hard sided carrier (took the top off) and put a towel in the bottom. This "contained" Gizmo is a small area with sides. Keep a warm wash cloth handy to wipe the excess (and there will be) and go slow. The slower the better.

Another option would be a feeding tube.

11. apple

apple Member

I sat criss cross on the floor, put a pillow in my lap and fed him about 7 cc straight ad the 8 cc ad + water slurry

LizzieInTexas likes this.
  12. apple

apple Member

I sent a conversation to someone that offered to help. If someone sets it up, I can maintain it. I do need help.

13. apple

apple Member

He's offered a buffet. I leave out 3-4 flavors (cans) of assorted FF and 1-3 jars of babyfood (Gerbers beef, chicken, turkey). He also gets stella and chewys pheasant. Today he also has solid gold indigo moon, proplan indoor and sciene diet light. Those are some of his favorite crunchies. I'm hoping he eats something.

When I'm home, he gets freeze dried turkey. I don't leave it out when I'm gone. He's had it get stuck on his throat before and start to choke.

I think he is dehydrated, vet says, no. I've requested to do fluids @ home. We have to go and it's $50 for fluids. Have to say I had sticker shock. I would prefer to fluids @ home.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    Judy and Boomer likes this.
  14. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm sorry your kitty is not eating very much. Below is information I was given when Furball didn't want to eat. I hope something helps. Sending prayers.

Do you have any parmesan cheese? If you maybe sprinkle a little of that on her food, she will perhaps eat? usually ondansetron is better for nausea than cerenia but it doesn't hurt to give her the cerenia....it can help.

Can you finger feed her....either see if she will lick food off your finger or will she let you dab some on the front of her tongue or on the roof of her mouth? Just be careful that it's only a small amount and that you don't get it down her throat.

Here's some info Jill often posts when a kitty won't eat:Here are some things you can do do entice your cat to eat:

-sometimes in order to get a cat to eat you even have to resort to dry it is more important that they eat. there are a couple low carb / grain free brands -- EVO and wellness core.

-making a buffet to give him choices
    - heating food

sprinkle food with :
    - forta flora -- a probiotic you can get at vets or online. is very smelly and cats love the taste of it.
    - parm. cheese
    - smashed crumbles of dry food
    - bonito tuna flakes
    - halo chicken treats -- crumble into dust over food
    - poor a little water from tuna in water over food ( I use low sodium/no sodium added as other kinds in water has veg. broth in it and I assume that means onions, which are toxic to cats-- check labels)
    -powdered oregano. yep sounds weird . but some cats like it and it will entice them to eat.

other ideas of foods to offer your kitty to stim appy:
    - trader joe tuna for cats
    -baby food -- beechnut turkey and broth or chicken and broth. they have no onions or other additives. some babyfoods have onions . please read labels if you can't find beechnut.
    - kentucky fried chicken
    - deli turkey /chicken
    - plain cooked ( boiled or baked ) chicken breast
    -canned chicken for people (watch the label that their are no onions)
    - chicken broth -- low sodium

15. Judy and Boomer

Judy and Boomer Well-Known Member

Yes some of the prices are ridiculous. When Boomer was in for his dental 2 years ago they tested his BG and it cost me $30. $30 for an ear poke!!!!
    I had a CKD kitty a few years ago who had to have fluids and the vet assistant taught us how to administer the fluids...and the charge for the training was $90. They get you either way.

I'm happy that you got some food into him but I would still try warming the food up or perhaps offering something stinky like tuna (unless he has allergies of course).

What is your kitty's name?

16. apple

apple Member

He was 13.5 lbs in march. University dvm wanted a .5lb reduction. I refused to agree. He loses weight so quickly, i like that cushion.
    Ideal would be 12.5 of muscle. With daily dex, he has lost muscle tone. so 13lbs.

Medical: history of pancreas issues, pica, allergies, sinus infections, food allergies, suspected ibd/ibs.

Beginning of April x-ray of abdomen. Heart, lungs, intestines looked ok.
    Contrast barium x-ray. Digestive tract looked ok.

Edit to add: no fish. He loves fish, fish and shrimp FF, meow mix cups, tuna flakes. No fish anymore because it can make him need buprenex.

Edit to add: also allergic to ketimine and synthetic buprenex.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  17. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Every time Max became inappetent it was due to chronic pancreatitis. When that happened I immediately started giving him medication for nausea, mostly ondansetron and sometimes cerenia. It always worked until the end when the cause was fluid buildup from unknown CHF even though he had an echo six months before. How have you treated the pancreas issues in the past? :bighug:

18. apple

apple Member

His food is put on paper plates.
    I have 10 cc syringes I can use to force feed.
    Feeding tube: that would make me nervous. He has pica. I would worry he would eat it.

19. apple

apple Member

What is chf?
    Pancreas = buprenex.

20. Kris & Teasel

You could post on the main forum with the question mark icon asking specifically for help using the SS on your phone. I think @Chris & China was the person who said she could help.

21. tiffmaxee

CHF is Heart failure. My point was not that your cat has it but rather that when Max wouldn't eat nausea medication usually worked.

AD is easy to syringe when mixed with warm water and that way you will get fluids into him. Small amounts every couple hours is best. You need to treat for nausea.

22. apple

apple Member

I know he is hungry. When I have him in my lap to check his bg, he takes the lancet, in between his paws and pulls it to his mouth like a baby holding a bottle.

In at work and I can't stop crying. I'm worried about my baby at home by himself.

23. apple

apple Member

Yes, worry about his heart and lungs.

24. Kris & Teasel

We all understand the worry and it's really hard when you have to be away all day. I hope we can help you get him on track so you and he feel better.

25. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

Oh, sweetie I can SO relate. They are pretty hearty animals - try and not worry too much. :bighug:

Any chance you can run home and check on him during a break or lunch? Not sure if it helped Gizmo as much as it helped me.

26. apple

apple Member

I called vet to see if we could get an apt on sat. He's booked.....now what do I do? So far all I've got it cry.

27. apple

apple Member

No

28. apple

apple Member

[QUOTE="Kris & Teasel, post: 1945053, time glucose toxicity :)[/QUOTE]

What is that. What does it mean.

29. apple

apple Member

He is the love of my life.

30. Kris & Teasel

Here's a link for glucose toxicity:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...-what-is-it-what-should-i-do-about-it.144381/

• Until tomorrow you'll have to syringe feed if he won't eat on his own or give him anything else he will eat on his own, whether it's kibble or not. Food going in is so important.
    • Keep testing his BG. The most important tests are AM and PM before insulin and at least one midcycle or before your bed time.
    • Please work on getting help to set up the spreadsheet on your phone. Ask here for help.
    • http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/
    I know when I'm overwhelmed and feeling desperate having a list of concrete tasks helps me calm down.

31. apple

apple Member

Vet called and wants to hospitalize him. Unfortunately, I can't get him there before the vet leaves, so he will go in for IV fluids.

I have to say, I'm worried about him being home and unsupervised.

32. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Jones started out on the A/D and it is good as you can water it down. He ended up on Wellness Grain free. - I found I could get more calories in (Turkey is 220 per 5.5oz can and Chicken 218 per 5.5 oz can) with less volume. It is a little stiffer than AD but still pretty soft to add water to.

33. apple

apple Member

Previous tries of wellness gave him stool issues.

Tracey&Jones (GA) likes this.
  34. tiffmaxee

One iof my kittens can't handle wellness or ff kitten. She too gets loose stool.

Tracey&Jones (GA) likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.