A new home for Taco, my best bud.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by TorontoCatGuy, Oct 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TorontoCatGuy

TorontoCatGuy New Member

Hi everyone, you might have seen my other post already.

My cat's name is Taco, and he's a beautiful 7 year old, healthy, indoor-only, neutered male domestic longhair.

The Story
    My Wife and I are expecting a baby in November, and it has become clear that we won't be able to care for Taco effectively once we have a baby, then a child... I work away from home for 24hrs at a time and work a lot part-time as well. The BG testing then all falls on my Wife who is already overwhelmed with work and fast approaching family responsibilities. I'm really looking for the right person who I know will take care of my little guy. Should be experienced with diabetic cats and looking to make a friend for life.

Taco's Care
    - Healthy weight, good activity levels, Diabetic for just over 2 years
    - Lantus Glargine Insulin under the skin, 2x daily, currently 1.5 units each injection
    - Tolerates injections well all over back and Blood Glucose tests on all 4 paws (sits right in your lap!)
    - Is on a mixed diet of Fancy Feast and Friskies Patés, BG curve has been stable for 3+ months
    - In more experienced hands than mine has some chance at remission, but shouldn't be counted on
    - As far as some of the stories I've read, Taco is a low-maintenance diabetic cat!

Favorite toys
    - Da Bird Wand toys
    - Brushings especially around face and back
    - Friendly around other cats once he knows them, and good/curious around children
    - He is super docile and you can pick him up, snuggle him, razzle him around. Has been handled often since kittenhood so he'll never bite or scratch.

Logistics
    - We live in Oakville, Ontario, Canada, but I'm willing to drive Taco to his new home up to 5-6+hours.
    - We are really looking for the right person/people, a forever home for him as we wanted to be...
    - If you want to make a new best friend, email me at: tacosnewhome@gmail.com or reply to this post!

Thank you for your support and consideration.

42988338_253496218698842_716224876515426304_n.jpg
    43079493_330586620830241_6568152305902813184_n.jpg
    43085711_284892882235233_1881684546005499904_n.jpg
    43094699_330581234381339_2353503045821661184_n.jpg

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

This makes me sad. I hope you find him a wonderful home.

3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

The wife really won't come around? It's really not that much extra work. Testing takes less than 5 minutes out of the day.

4. TorontoCatGuy

TorontoCatGuy New Member

Hey everyone, things have escalated over here. After another "out of box experience" on our blanket, my Wife is at her wits end. She's saying she doesn't care and will take him to the shelter to get rid of him. Her stress levels are high right now and she just can't deal. Not willing to add any litter boxes or change anything, it's deteriorated. I honestly think he's just getting lost on his way to the boxes, they're at the bottom of our 3 storey semi.

I'll try and keep him as long as I can before surrendering him to the shelter, but I do value my marriage over Taco unfortunately. Please please please if you can share this with your network or help him get more visibility here is the facebook post on DCIN: https://www.facebook.com/pg/DiabeticCatsInNeed/photos/?tab=album&album_id=2252015458161798

Or if any one of you can welcome him into your home I would bring him right to you! I would feel so much better knowing it's a caring person with experience in feline diabetes who gets him.

I will also make a new thread with the updated status, things are getting ugly here. Please help if you can.

Thanks

5. JanetNJ

You need a box on every floor of a multi floor home. No wonder.

6. Diana&Tom

Diana&Tom Well-Known Member

I'm afraid I can't help - am in the UK - but I just wanted to say how very sad and sorry I am that this is happening. I'm sure your wife is stressed but hopefully she cares for your beautiful Taco too and will give it as long as it takes to find him a new loving home. Remind her perhaps that Taco is not being deliberately difficult as far as the litter boxes are concerned; he may sense change and is stressed himself.
    I really feel for you. You must be so upset. All paws crossed for a happy ending...

7. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Yes, right now I’ve even got a box on my dresser for a spooked feral, but I guess that’s not for everyone:oops:. Hopefully I can retrain her.. :confused:
    Anyway, I wonder if you should post in the Lantus forum. I think there are a few Canadians in your area there that may be able to spread the word.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  8. JanetNJ

Reach out to rescues in your area before resorting to a shelter where he will likely be PTS.

Sharon14 likes this.
  9. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Poor Taco ! And the peeing out of the box is no doubt from the diabetes not being under control ; my Bubba had a few accidents in the beginning with all the extra peeing and urgency to go.

I hope your wife will be agreeable to keep him till you find another home for him. You are certainly in a pickle with a pregnant stressed wife and valuing your marriage first is always the right thing to do.

How about contacting your vet office also. Maybe someone in the vet practice would be willing to take on Taco. Fingers crossed you find the right home!

Sharon14 likes this.
  10. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Carol & Murphy (GA) Well-Known Member

Any update? We've all fallen for Taco.

11. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.