A question on weight gain...

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Anyname, Jun 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anyname

Anyname Member

Little Boy seems to be gaining weight. I'm not sure that it's the direction we want to go? Isn't it better for him to keep his weight off? He is always very hungry. I tend to think that a remission can only be achieved when the weight is reduced true?

Marilyn

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

How much are you feeding him, Marilyn? What are you feeding him?

Generally, non regulated diabetics are literally starving. Their bodies don't utilize the food correctly- it's like you are feeding the diabetes, not the cat..... So we say to feed them more until they are regulated, on a "normal" amount of insulin with pretty good numbers. And generally, kitties who are on wet lo carb lose weight. Of course, there is that "Every Cat is Different" thing.

Oliver was overweight after years of Science Diet Light dry food. After 3 months on the wet lo carb, he was down to a good weight and stayed there.

3. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

As Sue says, in the early days, diabetic cats can eat-eat-eat and still feel hungry because they do not have enough insulin to get the energy from the food. -- the sugar (food energy) is just being lost in the urine.

The fact that you have been seeing some trace of KETONES is very worrying -- this can become serious quickly -- kitty needs more food and more insulin (ketones occur when the body is breaking down tissues to survive).

your BG numbers look reasonable -- I see you are from Australia -- are you actually measuring in these units or converting for us Americans? OH -- sorry -- I see it now in your spreadsheet

Most diabetics have lost weight prior to diagnosis, and gain weight after treatment has started (recovering what was lost)

In some cases, another condition is present which causes excessive weight gain. It is too early to tell if Little Boy has this yet, but I'll mention it anyway.

My first diabetic cat, Norton, had a condition called Acromegaly -- it caused his diabetes -- his pancreas was functioning. The condition produces excess growth hormone which interferes with the natural insulin. The excess growth hormone floating around inside the kitty causes various random parts to grow -- some "acrocats" have organ growth, some have larger body parts --
    Norton had larger than average feet and was very muscular like a wrestler. He didn't look abnormal -- just stocky and very strong.

Anyway, going back to weight gain -- Norton had lost 2 pounds in the 2 months prior to FD diagnosis. After we started treating him with insulin, he gained back the 2 pounds PLUS 2 MORE!!! And it wasn't fat gained.

4. Anyname

Anyname Member

Kitty eating fresh chicken (free range), steak, occasionally fresh fish, tinned tuna, kidneys and liver when available. Yesterday I purchased science brand MD for diabetics. He ate thru the nite @ 3am. (much more expensive than quality fresh meat!). ketones still present at 0.1 reading more or less all the time. Unless Optium Exceed by Abbott testing machine isn't reliable.

I am not happy with the progress of LB and think I need to increase insulin slightly but difficult to do without better syringes. (they ordered)

marilyn

5. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Marilyn,

Is the MD wet, I hope? You don't really need "prescription" food. It tends to be higher in carbs than the regular stuff and the ingredients are no better and sometimes worse. If it's Hills MD, it's 14% carbs. (They do guarantee their food. If you decide you want to, you can take it back and just say LB won't eat it. You'll get your $ back.)

I am concerned if you are just feeding the protein without any supplements. Have you seen Dr. Lisa's site? http://www.catinfo.org She has a great page on feeding protein and what kind of things you have to add to it to make a balanced diet.

Also, have you seen Janet and Binky's list of wet, lo carb food? http://www.felinediabetes.com/diabetic-cat-diets.htm The protocol here is under 10% carbs.

I know, I know. We keep throwing new things at you. But when you ask, we answer.......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.