Abigail may have ear cancer

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jill and Remi, Feb 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jill and Remi

Jill and Remi Member

I am getting a little ahead of myself but my sweet girl Abigail may have ear cancer. We just came back from the vet and had her ears flushed because she has had chronic gunk in her ears. My first vet just gave me a cleaning solution to use at home...it did nothing. My new vet flushed out her ears and gave me some drops.
    We go back in 2 weeks for a recheck. Vet said if her ear canals are still swollen and she still has hardness on the outside of her ears he wants to do a biopsy. Abigail is all white so more prone. She has had the hardness on her ears since I got her in Aug 2008. No known previous history on her. She is soooo sweet...I really hope I am getting worked up for nothing.
    Upon researching Ceruminous gland adenocarcinoma..she has the symptoms.
    Please no more cancer!

2. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Sending good positive thoughts for Abigail, hoping for a good outcome.
    (((hugs to you both)))

3. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

Crossing all paws for Abigail ((((((((((((((((((((JILL))))))))))))))))))))))

4. KarenRamboConan

KarenRamboConan Senior Member Moderator

Sending "no more cancer" vibes!!

5. Jess & Earl

Jess & Earl Member

Hi Jill

What do you mean her ears are hard? The pinnae? (outside upright part)? Is the whole pinnae hard, on both ears or just one?

6. OLM Catnip Cottage

OLM Catnip Cottage Well-Known Member

Gosh, I've never even heard of that. How very upsetting. Our prayers go out for a good test result and for Abigail's healing.

7. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending prayers for Abigail...

8. Jill and Remi

Jill and Remi Member

Hey Jess...yes the pinnae. On both ears..the upper outside part is hard and sometimes gets black crusty spots on it that eventually flake off. I hope I am describing this well. She was in a shelter in southern Fl and who knows what before that. So she may have had some serious sun exposure.
    I was trying to do some more research and since she came to me with upper respiratory issues(vets aren't sure what) caused by either allergies, herpes virus or chlamydia I did find that with the herpes virus it can cause otitis externa(sp). I hope I got that right. That would be better than cancer and I will discuss this as a possibilty with my vet.
    Wondering if a biopsy should be done just in case, if the new ear drops(mometamax) don't help. She also got an injection of depo-medrol for the inflammation in her ear canals. I know, I know...it's a steroid. I will keep an eye on her to make sure she doesn't have any diabetic symptoms.
    Thanks for all the good thoughts...Abigail and I appreciate them very much!

9. Jill and Remi

Jill and Remi Member

Went for the follow up yesterday and Abigail's ears are very nice and clean on the inside. Unfortunately, they are still hard on the upper outside part. Vet wants me to continue using the mometamax on the outside of the ear, just rub it in with my finger. If that doesn't help in a couple of weeks, we are looking at a biopsy. She was soooo good at the vet. I hate this for her, but will keep praying it isn't cancer.

10. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending many prayers...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.