? about Normal blood sugar but sweet breath

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by MybestcatArnold, Aug 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MybestcatArnold

MybestcatArnold New Member

My 16year old cat Arnold had his last insulin shot in Jan 2009. His blood sugar checks over the last 3 years have always ranged between 80-100. Aronld just recently had a Vet exam and blood work done on June 12, 2012. The Vet said that he looked very good for his age. I have noticed recently that his breath smells funny...sweet...and like alcohol....my husband sprayed flonase yesterday and Arnold's breath smells exactly like that...............however his blood sugar checks have been in the 50's. I talked with the Vet last night with my concerns and all he said was to bring him back in for a physical again and more blood work. I am not sure what to do....any suggestions, advice or help would be so greatly appreciated. Thank you so much.

2. Ry & Scooter

Ry & Scooter Member

Does he have any other issues than the breath? I see people say ketoacidosis makes the breath smell fruity, or like alcohol/nail polish remover.

What meter are you using to test? Check the expiry date on the strips... try the meter out on yourself... maybe even get a second one to double check and compare the numbers.

3. MybestcatArnold

I just bought a new meter June 25, 2012....the strips are good....i did not however get testing solution.....i did buy the same exact meter I have always used, CVS truetrack, although it had been upgraded

He does sleep alot, but he is 16years old, he is also a picky eater...some days his appetite is better than other days

4. Ry & Scooter

Ry & Scooter Member

Hmm... we have a common saying around here that the "Tru" and "True" (and also the Freestyle Lite) meters read lower than normal... you really might want to pick up another meter and a few strips to compare. Walmart's Relions (if you're in the USA) are good, as is the Bayer Contour, Accuchek, and OneTouch. I would also pick up some Ketostix from the Pharmacy while you're there and use them to test for ketones ASAP. If you can't do that now, you may want to take him to the ER.

I don't want to scare you but if your meter really is reading low, your cat could be in diabetic ketoacidosis which is a potentially deadly medical emergency. Please keep in contact with your vet. Worst case scenario, your cat has been in high numbers all along, and is now in DKA. There is a reason people call those meters "heartbreakers". Wishing for the best.

5. High BGs are not a requirement for ketones. I would get him checked out. DKA almost killed my cat, and the treatment can cost thousands of dollars.
    Carl

6. Ry & Scooter

Ry & Scooter Member

The combination of not eating enough (it was mentioned he is a picky eater) and the meter reading wrong could do it. It just seems too coincidental with using the TrueTrack meter. I don't think this is the first time it's happened. Please update us when possible.

7. MybestcatArnold

I went straight to the drugstore and bought the Walmart Relion meter along with the Ketostix. His kentones were negative and the Relion meter reading was...... bg 66 2:30pm.

I am going to continue to monitor him. I hate feeling like something just isnt right and it is more frustrating that the numbers and test are normal. I am going to take Arnold for a wieght check next week. Thanks for your help.

8. Relieved to read this. :smile: Negative ketones is always a relief to see.

Did the smell on his breath go away?

Carl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.