About to throw in the towel

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Cat mom, Apr 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cat mom

Cat mom Member

I think we've reached the end. This was a short but hearty try and is far too stressful. I have a dying father right now as well under Hospice care and I can't be here to watch my cat all day.

My beloved precious intelligent Summer is 15 and we've had a great life together. He is so smart and I've told him, and I know he understands that I don't want to torture him anymore.

The hyper to hypo "emergency" last night is too much. He is staggering/wobbly at BG 70 and staggering at 288. All the needle pokes for blood are really hurting, he reacts and recoils in pain.

I have to wonder if he has diabetic neuropathy, his front paws will "fold" at times unnaturally. I'm not sure if in an animal that is a sign of neuropathy, but I can tell you neuropathy is PAINFUL. I've had neuropathic pain for years from Lyme Disease and it is excruciating. If he is in any neuro pain (and I know from experience) I am heartless for continuing on.

All these pokes for blood hurt him. He hides from me much of the time.

Years ago I had a cat that was very sick. I was hell bent on keeping her alive and went WAY beyond the point of being humane, having futile unnecessary surgeries and treatments and I swore to myself I would never again keep a beloved suffering fur baby alive for my benefit, ever again. I look back at that and have so many regrets, I should have let her go. I don't want to regret like that again, there is nothing worse than tormenting regret, knowing you were insanely trying to save an animal that never stood a chance.

I am at the point to let this go and say goodbye. Problem is the veterinarian I love and trust most is gone until the 25th.

I hope to keep him around (if possible) until my vet returns on the 25th. So I may have more questions for you wonderful people, because we are still on our own until she returns.

I want to thank all of you, you've all been so helpful.

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

The difference is that diabetes is treatable. Neuropathy is temporary and reversible with b12 supplements. Cats, unlike most creatures, humans included, are able to go into diabetic remission! My cat only needed shots for 4 months! Now she's totally off insulin and is doing good!
    If you are unable to take care of her at this time I urge you to contact dcin (Diabetic Cats in Need) and see if they can rehome her to someone in a better position to care for her right now.

3. JanetNJ

288 to 70 are great numbers. I didn't see numbers like that until I was about three months into treatment! I understand this is a stressful time with your father so ill , but Please reconsider. Diabetes is not a death sentence.

4. JanetNJ

Watch this video about this cat with neuropathy and how after just a few weeks treatment he improved.

5. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Yep emotionally you're at a really sucky part of life right now. I remember the 'awful ears' days, the 'hiding from me' days. I can promise you things WILL improve. Give a low carb treat such as freeze dried chicken/shrimp/etc, after 3 tries to test and try again later. The longer you try unsuccessfully the more it will bother you. You've already learned how much dry food affects bg - maybe he can be diet controlled instead. Give it a bit of time before you make a decision....you may find that things change. With bg control whether it's insulin or diet, his walk should improve - b12 would help even more.

We'll all support you in whatever decision you make - you're making it out of love, respect and consideration, that's all anyone can do. We'll celebrate and/or cry with you. HUGS and hugs and hugs.

6. Stressedcatmom

Stressedcatmom Well-Known Member

Hi,

I'm new to this as well and I just want to give you a bit of support. Yoshi has neuropathy as well. I give him zobaline 2x per day. The vet says that sometimes, neuropathy can take up to 6 mos and the best aid is an attempt to regulate them. I am sorry to hear of your dad, and I know the stress associated with that and a sick kitty.

When it rains it pours. I just want to wish you brighter days. I was in tears for weeks. I hate poking him, but I have to tell myself I'm doing all I can now to hopefully lessen the pokes later.

I don't know if this helps, but I just want to say hang in there

7. Stressedcatmom

Stressedcatmom Well-Known Member

And maybe there's a "reason" your vet is out of town. Maybe give it a few more days and just know that neuropathy doesn't lead to immediate positive results. Yoshi has good and bad days, but he still has that light in his eye, and he's fighting with me. If you still see a light, if you can, try to give it a try for a bit longer.

Xo

8. Anthony Morgan

Anthony Morgan Member

Sorry to hear of your situation. I know all cats are different so this may not be of any help but I use the Alpha Track 2 and the lancet that came with it set on no.3.
    I actually prick the ear inside the main vein, a couple of mm away from the edge and usually get a tiny drop of blood straight away. I then just touch the blood with the edge of the testing strip and this is enough to give me the reading.
    I am fortunate because although my cat dislikes the process and does try to run away, I don't think she hardly feels the actual prick.
    Sorry if this is no help but hope things improve for you.

Sharon14 and Tanya and Ducia like this.
  9. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

We understand. I just want to let you know that even with neuropathy as serious that Summer has may be reversible. Several years ago I adopted Spot who was an untreated diabetic cat. I immediately started her on Lantus (I had another diabetic cat at that time) and methyl B12. Within a month, I started seeing improvements in the neuropathy. She went from a cat that could barely walk to one that was moving around a lot easier. Within 2 months she was beginning to run and jump. At 6 months you would have never guessed that she could barely walk a few months before. It does take time before you see some results. I saw from an earlier post that you are using Novalin. I would recommend switching to a longer acting insulin such as Lantus, Levemir, Prozinc or PZI. If you choose PZI, your vet can order your first vial for free from the BCP PZI website. http://bcpvetpharm.com/bcp-pzi-bovine-insulin/ It still will take some time before you start seeing results, but I think if you switch to a longer acting insulin and are giving the methyl B12, that will help immensely.

I understand the stress you are going through with your father being in hospice. My mother is also in hospice and not expected to live much longer. I will keep you and your family in my prayers. Are there any friends or family that may be able to help you with Summer? That would help some in reducing a little the stress you are going through. I expect that you are feeling like you are being pulled in several directions at once and that you just cannot handle it all.

10. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

My heart goes out to you. I have been in the position you are with your father, with both my husband and my mother, within a month of each other. I understand the terrible pain and stress you are going through right now. I wish I could tell you it will all be okay. ❤️

Feline diabetes is so very treatable, as is the neuropathy associated with it. My cat had ragged ears, and hid from me, too. He ran from me every time he saw me pick up his test kit. We were miserable, but we persevered and, believe it or not, he now runs TO me when he sees his test kit in my hand! It took a while, but he is now well-regulated and very happy with life (and with me)! He is 18 years old.

As heinous as those ear pokes are, they are actually serving a purpose, even when you don't get a blood drop; they are helping his ears "learn" to bleed. Just make sure you hold the ear with a little bit of pressure on the poke site afterwards, as this help stop any bleeding and will greatly reduce the incidence of bruising. I found it easier to free-hand the poke with the lancet. My cat was not fond of the sound of the lancing device. He also does not care for the beep of the meter if it is close to his ear; you can turn down the sound on some of them, if this is a problem for Summer. And always, always, always give a treat afterward, even if you don't get a blood drop and can't actually test.

I agree with Lisa, I think you would do better and be more comfortable with a long-acting insulin like Lantus. I don't usually make a recommendation like that but I think you would find it less stressful as it has a much gentler, longer-lasting action.

If you find that you cannot do this at this time, then please do consider contacting DCIN to see if they can help to rehome Summer, at least for the time being. They are a wonderful organization and may be able to help you in other ways, as well.

Sending prayers for you, your father, and Summer. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Lucy

11. Cat mom

Cat mom Member

Thank you to everyone who responded, I appreciate each and every response.

Yep, that's just like my cat. The interesting thing is I am VERY familiar with Methyl B12, I've even written an article about Methyl B12 (at my Lyme Disease forum/website) based on my own experience. Having had Lyme Disease and very seriously painful widespread neuropathy since 2006, my doctor put me on very high dose injections. I've done it for years. In extremely high doses it can heal nerve damage (according mostly to Japanese studies) and my own experience, I can't say for certain if it helped me or not. I was also put on other meds that relieve nerve pain and the nerve pain still waxes and wanes. Neuropathy I've experienced has been so bad, believe me, at times I would have prefered to have been put to sleep myself, neuropathy is the worst kind of pain, but Lyme is a hideous/painful disease.

Having said that, I am aware of B12 for him, I know it take many months, maybe longer, if it worked at all. But I am a fan of specifically Methyl B12 injections and I have raved about it for years in the Lyme community and it could be worth a try w/him. I'd prefer high dose injections for him rather than oral, it is so much better absorbed. Honestly, I don't think my vet that would agree to that. I will have to ask her if she'd be willing to rx it at a compound pharmacy. I might have to go solo and try it anyway.

I actually just said this to my son. Isn't it odd that she is gone for 2 weeks. lol I need a miracle between now and then.

Oh, how horrible. I am so sorry for your pain and losses.

Thank you for your empathy. To be honest, my vet wanted him on Lantus, it's just unaffordable and now insulin in general scares me to death after the hypo thing yesterday.

So everyone knows, I don't make decisions like this lightly or alone. My pets are my world. I was just discussing Summer's condition and outlook w/My (adult) son and husband and we have had so many cats and dogs in the past 30 years from abused to homeless. Anytime we had to make a life or death decision, we always give it all we have, we never would make the decision lightly and w/o the veterinarian's total support of it. That is why I must talk to this particular vet, she has been through it all with us at least the past decade. I would so much prefer to see if I can manage this with diet/supplements and maybe even that Blood Sugar Gold I've been reading about at the petwellbeing website. It sounds amazing, do you know of anyone that has tried that stuff? Anything at all, good or bad? At this point, I just despise insulin. Can you blame me after the heart stopping hypo yesterday? Ugh. I've got 2 weeks to see if I can make a good difference, because if he gets worse, I simply cannot do this anymore, I can't watch him suffer.

FelineFriend likes this.
  12. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

I don't have anything to add to what has already been said, just wanted to let you know we all really do understand. Many of us have posted here in tears, in frustration and in fear. I'm sending prayers for you, Summer and your father:bighug:

As for the blood sugar gold, I don't know about it, but figure if it did all that it claims I would have. There are some promising supplements though. Read this thread
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/exciting-supplement.173867/

13. Squalliesmom

Sending you a PM

14. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Most of us are buying our Lantus from Canada now due to the insane costs in the US....You can get 5 pens (that's 1500 units which is enough to last most cats 1-2 years) for $149.99 plus $25 shipping

Here's the information on Buying insulin from Canada if you want to give it a try

15. Cherish Gallagher

Cherish Gallagher Member

You can use the pens longer than 1 month?

16. Lisa and Smoky

Lisa and Smoky Well-Known Member

It would depend on the dosage the individual cat would need. There are 300 units in each pen. You would draw the insulin out of the pen with a syringe. It's the same thing you would do with the vial. The pens are not used directly the way people use them.

17. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

Yes. The 1 month expiration is for human use. It does not go bad that quickly. Most of the time it takes about 3 months before it becomes ineffective. That is why we recommend the pens instead the vial. With the pen you probably use every drop in it before it becomes ineffective. If you use the vial you will end up throwing away a lot of insulin and money because you will not be able to use all of it before it stops working. You will use the pens like a mini vial.

Cherish Gallagher likes this.
  18. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

The particular insulin you're using, Novolin NPH, isn't really a good one to give steady numbers. It all works at once driving numbers down then it's done until you give more. There are other types of insulin such as ProZinc, Lantus and Levemir that will give you better control and much less risk of a hypo. Most of us have been thru a hypo - our first diabetic, KT, was a champion of handing me numbers like 42 and 36 and 325. :) We remember how scary it was...but you caught it, you treated it, you learned a lot from it, you will be much calmer if it happens again.

His ears will heal and won't be awful anymore. That cute kitty as my avatar, Dakota aka Doc, has had over 8000 ear pricks over many diabetic years, he sometimes sleeps thru them now.

HUGS and prayers for your Dad's situation too...it tears our hearts out - my Dad just passed away a few months ago, how I understand.

Squalliesmom and Yong & Maury GA like this.
  19. Squalliesmom

Did you get my PM? It will show up in your Inbox (top right of the page, in the dark blue band next to your name).

20. Mogmom and Goofus

Mogmom and Goofus Well-Known Member

I was ready to "jump off a cliff" in the beginning too! It truly does get better! I could never make the ear poke work, we do the paw pads as they have very little feeling in them. Goof just lays there and doesn't even flinch.

My husband is a trucker, so I'm on my own with this stuff 90% of the time. I also help care for my 94 year old Dad and my 86 year old mother in law, so I know what you're saying about the stress. But we all have different breaking points. Maybe by the 25th, things will settle down and you'll have a clear picture of what you need to do. Sending a hug! :bighug:

21. geenaroses

geenaroses Member

I don't think I can say anything that hasn't already been said by the others here. I too understand where you are and I just wanted to send you a hug and prayers for your Father. I hope the suggestions made by the people here will bring comfort to Summer (beautiful name) so that she can continue her journey bringing love and comfort to you.

:bighug::bighug:gina

22. Squalliesmom

I have never tried it but the reviews I have read have not been good. Recently, one of our members found two other homeopathic supplements that she tried and liked; HERE is the link to the thread.

23. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

I am using PetWellbeing BloodSugar Gold at night and PetAlive GlucoEnsure in the morn. I really think GlucoEnsure is the better supplement.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  24. Marlena

Marlena Well-Known Member

Dear Cat mom!
    I really sympathise with you, it is just too much for you which is understandable considering that you have serious health issues yourself.
    My take on your situation is that your kitty is probably feeling rotten on this insulin and just changing to a gentler insulin might be what needs to be done for him. Insulin is a life changing substance if it is a right one at the right dose. I can understand that finances could be a problem too. Dear members made some suggestion for you (you can obtain Lantus much cheaper or contact DCIN ). Your kitty's BG of 70 is not really a hypo number but because the drop of BG was quite steep as it happens with Novolin and I'm pretty sure that Summer is just reacting like that to this insulin. This is another reason why he might be unhappy about injections as he associates them with the way he feels. As much as I feel your kitty deserves another plan for treating his diabetes I really am sorry that you feel you are unable to care for him properly.
    I know how difficult dealing with diabetic cat is and I was a total mess but I really had it easy with comparison with other members here so I can just imagine how bad it feels when everything is complicated.
    Please try to find a quiet moment and consider your options and also try to look at everything in the matter of fact manner, try to remove emotion and think about it. Don't be scared about using insulin, it is always risky but other option is not that fantastic.
    Whichever decision you make we will support you.
    Sending millions of hugs to you and your kitty and praying for a good outcome,
    Marlena and Rocky:bighug::cat::bighug::cat::bighug:

25. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

My mom was in the hospital when Max was diagnosed so I trullynunderstand the stress you are experiencing. She was very sick the whole time and in and out of the hospital. I lost tge two of them exactly a month apart. You can do this even under these circumstances. You will just need to keep your cat a little higher so you can spend time you need with your father. My heart goes out to you. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Marlena likes this.
  26. Sieden

Sieden Member

I'm also sending you a PM

27. SweetAngel

SweetAngel Member

oh honey I really feel for you. Early on I rushed Angel to the vet thinking he had a hypo because he had very low/normal numbers after insulin, but now I know more I doubt it was even a hypo. I'm thinking though, if you are able to treat Summer he will be there to comfort you over the situation with your dad. I am sending love and healing thoughts to the 3 of you and hoping for the best possible outcome for you all. xxx

Marlena and Squalliesmom like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.