? About water intake and urine output

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by kimandmidnight, Jun 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kimandmidnight

kimandmidnight New Member

Once you're getting consistent lower, leveled out BG readings, about how long does it take before you can expect to see urine reduction? Midnights appetite has leveled out and he's no longer ravenous but he's still drinking and urinating as much as he was when he was Dx. In comparison, his pre diabetes onset urine output was about a third of what it is now.

2. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

My cat has been on insulin for two years and is now very well-regulated, and he still pees great oceans every time he climbs into the litterbox! I don't know how he does it, because I never see him at the water bowl. I add a little water to his meals, but not enough to produce that much urine. I have mentioned it to my vet but he doesn't seem to be overly concerned about it.

You might want to have your vet check for any urinary or kidney issues, they can also cause excessive urination.

3. kimandmidnight

Thank you. I know his urine test came back ok. I'm not sure about his blood tests other than high blood sugar. I'm going to call the vet on Monday to ask. She may have told me on the day of Dx and I don't remember. It was an overwhelming day. I'm also going to have them email me a copy of his complete lab work results. My vet tells me I'm a dr google. I don't know if I should take that as an insult or not lolol.

4. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Leo is partly regulated. He pees a lot of volume too. The key is to find the renal threshold of your fur-kid. Under that BG level, the body will not be processing excess glucose into urine. So the urine should be reduced at that point.

However, I tend to be conservative. I keep Leo's BG a bit high. Why? Because a single hypo can kill. High glucose does create some toxicity, but I try to keep him out of those ranges.

5. kimandmidnight

I had the vets office send me his lab work results today. BUN, creatinine and phosphorus were on the low end of normal. Tomorrow I'm going to call and ask about the SDMD test to see if they offer it. If they don't, I'm going to take him to a vet who does. And yes, I know kidney issues can show up well before they're detected on blood work. Everything else looks great based on what I've read.
    His urine output still seems high to me but he is eating all wet foods now and I add about a 1/4 cup of additional water to his food and he's always been a water drinker and I will say it's not as much as it was when his BG was high. I hope it's the difference between a dry and wet diet.

6. kimandmidnight

Yikes... meant to say SDMA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.