Absorption Issues With One Site?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Shoeskitty-GA, Jul 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shoeskitty-GA

Shoeskitty-GA Well-Known Member

I alternate sides when giving Shoes his insulin injections and it seems that one side does not absorb the insulin as well as the other one as his numbers always are higher when using that side. Has anyone else noticed this with their kitty? Just curious if it's a common thing.

2. Misterbeesmom

Misterbeesmom Well-Known Member

absolutely. this just happened yesterday. there are spots on his L shoulder that cause poor absorption, and I hit it yesterday AM.

I have better luck with his R shoulder, but I don't want to keep shooting the same area. considering shaving a spot there and using the o'clock method to be sure to hit different spots each time.

Shoeskitty-GA likes this.
  3. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Sandi, I never paid attention to that. I remember reading some sites do absorb better.

Shoeskitty-GA likes this.
  4. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Alex had a couple of what I called "dead spots". Shooting in those spots was like shooting water. Eventually, I just learned to avoid them. I've seen others have similar problems. I remember one caregiver who alternated injection sites, but only shot on one side. I don't think it's common, but it's not exactly rare either.

5. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

According to some articles I have read the scruff area has slower absorption since there is less blood flow there. The abdomen and flank are supposed to have better absorption.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
    jayla-n-Drevon and Shoeskitty-GA like this.
  6. Shoeskitty-GA

Shoeskitty-GA Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone. I only use the sides or flanks so it helps to know that others have had this issue. I will remove the ? now.

jayla-n-Drevon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.