Acid reflux after going high protein

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by PunchKat, Jan 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PunchKat

PunchKat New Member

I posted on here a few months back about my newly diagnosed cat. I switched his food to all canned, no grain, and saw immediate results and have been monitoring his glucose levels and he has been consistently in normal range since the switch.

The new problem is I think he has reflux. After initial changing his diet, his drinking was about cut in half (this was his only symptom). He has gradually started drinking a lot again though changes day to day but it's different than before. Before he would drink a long time all at once. Now he goes to the bowl and drinks some, then leaves, and then comes back and tries again, and then leaves and comes back again... like he's expecting something better than water I don't know. I also noticed he is burping a lot. My dog has reflux issues and is on meds for it. It is making me feel like the cat is having the same issues. Also, his belly is always bloated and hard to the touch. Besides that he seems fine- eating well, going to the bathroom normally and since getting on the new diet playing with our crazy young cat more. Anything I can try? I read high protein diet can irritate the stomach.

Thanks for any info!

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

This is not something I have heard about. Hope someone else will be along.

I do know Wellness doesn't work for every cat; I think it tends to be a little higher in fat than other foods. Have you tried Merrick? (if you want a higher quality food) or Blue Buffalo? Both are on Janet's food chart: http://www.felinediabetes.com/diabetic-cat-diets.htm

3. PunchKat

PunchKat New Member

I am feeding a variety of foods including the Merrick, wellness and friskies. Maybe I need to cut out the friskies since that is the majority of what I am giving.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.