Acro cat problem? today

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by barbp, Jun 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. barbp

barbp Member

Hi-Berkeley has been on her insulin since end of March and in June (or May-senility strikes me) we finally tested and she + for acromegaly.

I've been going through some hectic times here and gotten blasé about testing Berk as I figured with her BG numbers I wasn't going into hypo soon. Was just doing the AM and PM shot testing.

Her numbers are quite high again and I have discovered that she has been raiding the dishes in the sink and the garbage can. She will eat stale bread etc.

Today, I upped her to 9.5 after 4 days on the 9 units, deciding to be aggressive and get ahead of the acro. Just ready to leave for dentist at 11:30 am (2 hours after her morning shot of 9.4 units) and she comes staggering out of the shower tile area. She is quite wobbly and her walking not on her toes but the hock area of the hind legs and just looks wonky. I grabbed a monitor and she had gone from 568 to 137 in the 2 hours. I do not know if she has ever been that low.

I freaked, thinking even with the high number (low for her) she was going into hypo and also thinking, this is only 2 hours into the insulin, what will the number be at the nadir? I have actually never determined her nadir sequence, her numbers seem to jump all around.

And also having never done testing on the 9 units I am not too familiar with her BG graph. So I grabbed a handful of temptation treats (about 15 in hindsight) and she scoffed them down. I have been testing every hour after a few half hour intervals. (Never got to dentist!).

Maybe this attack was because her body is so used to the high BG levels?
    Also very hot and humid here today.

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Sorry no one caught this. I am only nominally familiar with acromegaly.

The sudden drop may have triggered some compensatory hormones as well as going so much lower than his normal. Here is an acro group on Facebook with some of our FDMB members. You may wish to join them.

3. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Barb,
    Are you still having problems access the Facebook acro group? If you are, there are some acro owners who are members here as well who can help you.

Gayle

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.