? Adopted 4 yr. Trying to switch to canned

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Little Sophie, Dec 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Little Sophie

Little Sophie New Member

I lost my sweet girl to diabetes in the fall but she lived a good life to 17, thanks to your help along the way. I recently adopted a a 4 yr old tuxedo and want to do right by her by getting he off of dry food and with normal stools. She took to the fancy feast that I was giving her but her stools are very loose. She is not addicted to the dry so that isn't an issue and would eat wet food over dry. I started with a 1/4 of can and then increased by 1/4 every couple of days until she was on 2 cans per day. I thought I was going slow but maybe not. I also didn't know if it was the brand or the change in diet but kept with one variable. I read Dr. Lisa's whole article again and she isn't worried about loose stools but I am. Is there a better protein - carb - fat ratio that is better for a cat to have that will alleviate her loose stools? In advance, thanks for your thoughts and suggestions.

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

My girls had the opposite problem on Fancy Feast. Cats are all so different. There are plenty of other foods you could try. You mentioned reading Dr Lisa's info, so I assume you have used the cat food database? There is a link in my signature. I feed Weruva Chicken Frick A Zee, and it works for my girls.

3. Sylvie

Sylvie Member

i think you transitioned slow enough. if not fish/a protein allergy, it could just be an ingredient in fancy feast?? one of my cat's cannot tolerate FF pates whatsoever, at first he just got loose stools from it but, after a bit he started vomiting a lot and still does on the occasions he gets into the other's FF pates, yet he does fine and has normal poos on friskies poultry pates varieties, not as good quality but, maybe try that to see (mixed grill and the country style both have no fish in them so try those- mixed grill is all 10 of our cats favorite of the two). the only fancy feast type that has not caused him issues is their creamy delight chicken with touch of milk, that actually helped him and another cat who has tummy/poop issues on and off get back to normal. Also the chewy brand tiny tiger pates are very much similar to fancy feast pates, texture and all but, without the added color/caragean/fake vitamin k,etc, it didn't trick our FF addicts into eating it like FF but, since your kitty is new to wet foods, he may like it just as much. if he has no poop issues on that brand, then it is probably is something added in fancy feast pates not agreeing with him.. You could also try adding 1/2 tsp of pure pumpkin in his food to help bulk his poop or just add 1/8th of a tsp (assuming cat is around 10lbs) of tasteless sugar-free benefiber in one meal once a day like i did.

https://www.chewy.com/s?query=tiny tiger pate&nav-submit-button= ...we tried out the turkey giblet

4. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

You can also try including a little canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling) to help firm things up. Or a probiotic like Forti Flora.

5. Little Sophie

Little Sophie New Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I have to say I bought a variety pack and will try another brand and stick to one type and avoid fish for now. My last cat did fabulously on FF but as Fur BabiesMama said, all cats are different.

6. Julie and Honey

Julie and Honey Well-Known Member

Sorry to jump in, but I have a question on pumpkin. I thought that was for constipation ( due to fiber and high water content in pumpkin) not loose stools? Since I put my kitty on all wet, she is constipated and I have been giving her pumpkin, am I doing the wrong thing? Thanks.

7. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Pumpkin can help with both.

8. Julie and Honey

Julie and Honey Well-Known Member

Ahhh, interesting. Good to know! So much knowledge here, thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.